Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been done before, haven’t found any posts on it yet and wanted to ask. Has anyone added aftermarket auto/power locks to their cars that came with just the manual locks? If so did you find/buy the wire harness to hook it up to the actuator in the doors? Buy something aftermarket to get it working? Take it to a place to have them install it? Are there any guides out there to do this.

I’d like to add power locks to my car if I can and I don’t mind taking it to a place if it can be done properly and professionally I also don’t mind adding it myself if it isn’t vastly complicated and as long as I don’t kill anything in the car. As it is since I got it back form the body shop my stereo has been freaking out a bit, screen will go blank or charters will appear corrupt but the music keeps playing then charters return.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've installed a 4 door power lock kit. It's very involved, but not terribly difficult. It took me a whole weekend having never done any kind of work like it before.

Here's my advice:

Start with your least used door. There is a tool for removing manual window cranks that you should get before you attempt to remove the interior door panel. Use an unfolded wire hanger to run the wire through the rubber conduit that connects the door to the body. If that is difficult, try spraying some silicon lubricant into the conduit first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not to sound negative because I also have a manual windows/locks Versa but the first thing I think of is it worth it? I honestly never researched the time and price but I look at my car as a simple, but reliable and fun car. I do like power windows in the summer no doubt. I also think that some cars are too electronic and have more things to break. Think Jaquar. Either way, good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I installed the factory power locks on my Versa. I recently pulled a lot of it off and am selling it to pay for some parts for my 1967 mustang I'm restoring.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
173 Posts
I’m sure this has been done before, haven’t found any posts on it yet and wanted to ask. Has anyone added aftermarket auto/power locks to their cars that came with just the manual locks? If so did you find/buy the wire harness to hook it up to the actuator in the doors? Buy something aftermarket to get it working? Take it to a place to have them install it? Are there any guides out there to do this.

I’d like to add power locks to my car if I can and I don’t mind taking it to a place if it can be done properly and professionally I also don’t mind adding it myself if it isn’t vastly complicated and as long as I don’t kill anything in the car. As it is since I got it back form the body shop my stereo has been freaking out a bit, screen will go blank or charters will appear corrupt but the music keeps playing then charters return.
I'm also considering adding aftermarket power locks and windows. I'm considering buying a 2014 Versa Note S Plus, which comes with manual locks and windows.

I've installed a 4 door power lock kit. It's very involved, but not terribly difficult. It took me a whole weekend having never done any kind of work like it before.

Here's my advice:

Start with your least used door. There is a tool for removing manual window cranks that you should get before you attempt to remove the interior door panel. Use an unfolded wire hanger to run the wire through the rubber conduit that connects the door to the body. If that is difficult, try spraying some silicon lubricant into the conduit first.
When you installed the power lock kit, did you have to reprogram the BCM or install a new BCM?

*EDIT 9-12-2016* I went ahead and bought a 2014 Versa Note S Plus. I am hoping to install the power locks and windows by the end of October. From what I have found in my research, no reprogramming of the BCM is required.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Here's my advice:

its much easier to use an electrical snake. also called a fish tape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No. The locks came with their own brain. They were completely independent of the car's computer. I used this one: Spal 37000149 4-Door Power Lock Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

The brain has trigger wires you'd hook up to a keyless entry / alarm / remote start system.
I just bought this same kit off Walmart.com It was cheapest there for $60. Im going to fit this in my 2014 Versa S Plus. This kit has sufficient length wire for all doors, i just gotta mount the actuators.

I was wondering, how did you install you keyless/alarm entry using this kit? Does the module have separate wire to attach the alarm or must it be spliced in? I will be getting an alarm with trunk release and remote starter.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
173 Posts
I just bought this same kit off Walmart.com It was cheapest there for $60. Im going to fit this in my 2014 Versa S Plus. This kit has sufficient length wire for all doors, i just gotta mount the actuators.

I was wondering, how did you install you keyless/alarm entry using this kit? Does the module have separate wire to attach the alarm or must it be spliced in? I will be getting an alarm with trunk release and remote starter.
No. The locks came with their own brain. They were completely independent of the car's computer. I used this one: Spal 37000149 4-Door Power Lock Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

The brain has trigger wires you'd hook up to a keyless entry / alarm / remote start system.

Here's my advice:

I bought an aftermarket power door lock kit from amazon.com. When I opened the box, there was only one mounting bracket and no remote controls. Before I return this for a refund, I wanted to know if the mounting brackets are necessary to attach the actuators to the door. The main picture on the item description page shows only two mounting brackets but the item description states that the kit should include "a complete set of accessories for installation." In your experience, are the mounting brackets necessary? If not, then I will go ahead and install this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RMYT6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.