Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I used the Meguiar's Mirror Haze Pro Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26. Spent 30 minutes washing and drying with microfiber cloths, then about an hour waxing and buffing.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Your car looks great! Super shiny !!!!
I need to buy some wax and wax mine in a couple weeks ... Is it okay to wax the vehicle when you have the clear coat and paint protection? I've never had a new car before so I am not too sure of these things.
Thanks ;)

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's perfectly fine to wax the car with clear coat and paint protection. Before you wax, you probably want to clay the car, then use a synthetic polymer that protects the paint then wax it afterwards. This is what I recommend...

Start with the #21 first, Apply it everywhere on the body of the paint. Rub it in lightly in a circular motion, then let dry into a haze. Wait an hour or two then wipe it off. You must get all the synthetic polymer off before you begin waxing.

After that use the #26, apply the wax the same places you would with the #21. Let dry into a haze again for an hour or so then wipe away. Try not to get any on plastic, rubber or vinyl.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Looks good. Maybe find something for the side skirts though. Look a bit rough compared to the rest of the car. Maybe tire shine or a product called back to black.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always have trouble cleaning the sideskirts. That's the biggest reason why I prefer bodycolor ones. Misplaced my bottle of Eagle One tireshine. Guess I'll have to buy another one.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will try to get those products.
I have another question. What exactly does 'clay the car' mean? What does that do? How do I use that? I have never heard of using that before ...
Thanks again ;)

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Claying a car is something you do to remove outside elements such as acid rain, brake dust, imbedded dirt and overspray that regular washing doesn't remove. The Meguiar's clay kit has a microfiber cloth, clay bars and the detail spray. You want to start claying the car from the top, downwards. Spray a section with the detailer, wad up a piece of clay flat and LIGHTLY rub in a circular motion. Do that until it doesn't stick to the body and look at the clay. It will appear dirty, sort of grey looking as if you dropped it in dirt. Once you're complete with a section of the car, rub your fingers across that area, it will feel smoother. That is what regular washing doesn't pick up. It recommended you do it at least once or twice a year.

Here is an article that explains it if you don't understand.
http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_0304_restore_paint_finish_with_clay/index.html

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Are your black sideskirts like a rubber material?
They do look a bit dull compared to the car, but it doesn't look bad ...
The car is so nice and shiny! Looks great ! :)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Okay. Thanks for the information on the clay ...
I am headed down to South Carolina next week after school, so I plan on buying alot of car products down there. I seem to find them cheaper at your Wal-Marts then our stores ... I'll be buying all of that stuff. I'll let you know how it works out ...
One more question... is there any way that claying the car can leave the paint damaged?

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll clean the sideskirts tomorrow, possibly spray some soapy water on it and remove the dirt then dry it off with a microfiber cloth.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Claying the car won't damage the paint. Just remember don't use it on the same section for a long period of time because it can possibly remove some of the clear coat then you'll have to rewax that area again. Just clay the area until it doesn't pick up anymore debris.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Okay, thank you.
I'll probably get my dad to help me to speed up the process. He has a waxing machine as well, just need to buy the wax. But I prefer to wax it by hand, the machine is kind of heavy.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
i dont think claying can remove the clear but am not sure)

Also I dont clay in Circles, I actually go with the direction of windflow ie the way air will pass it as you drive (been told this by several detailers, not sure why though)

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
927 Posts
for claying just keep it wet and dont let it dry on your car ^_^ and you dont have to use any kind of pressure what so ever just let it glide then it should be as smooth as a babys behind when clear coat is clean :p for your sideskirt use an interior cleaner for the plastic moldings i personally use turtlewax ice liquid wax on plastic trims because its safe for plastic or painted surface :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts