Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2008 Nissan Versa Sedan with 110,000km on it. The past year we have had problems with the AC. A few months ago, it stopped working again so we brought it in to out local mechanic. He thought at first there was a hole in the hose but he couldnt find it. After a lot of inspection and trying different things he came to the conclusion the compressor is gone.

So I ask him for a price to fix it and he wants $1600. So I guess my question is, am I being taken for a ride here? I did some research and places like rock auto sell the part for around $300. As do a lot of other places I have looked. Is this part extremely difficult to install where it would amount to around $1300 in labor? Is this figure in the right ball park? Like sheesh I dont want to pay $1600 for air conditioning...but its soooooo hot outside I would like it back for cheaper obviously

Any comments or advice would be most welcome!

·
Registered
238 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar issue in his Grand Prix but they charged him a little over $1,000 for his but I'm sure it cost a lot more than $300 for his. Took a full day for him as I had to drive his ass around that day lol. :)

Granted vastly different cars so it will be different and where we live here the cost is living is lower so if you live in a sub or city I could see around $1600 being about right.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
we had a mercury sable that needed an AC compressor, total was 800.00

call around other places and see how much they charge to replace the compressor.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As you pointed out, a new AC compressor runs around $300, or you can get a re-manufactured unit on ebay for $225, Also need to fill the compressor with oil. You would also need to replace the evaporator too which is around $100. Then a recharge at a local shop $125. Or roll the dice and go with a used compressor on ebay $100, no evaporator and recharge for a total of $225 plus your labor.

·
Registered
927 Posts
wow so expensive mine goes on and off too lol. My usual remedy if it goes off i leave the speed at 4 then drive. Usually it turns on after 5 mins or when i get to the freeway. It only does this on a very very hot day. Every time i bring it to a shop the fan works lol so I can't get it checked out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
wow so expensive mine goes on and off too lol. My usual remedy if it goes off i leave the speed at 4 then drive. Usually it turns on after 5 mins or when i get to the freeway. It only does this on a very very hot day. Every time i bring it to a shop the fan works lol so I can't get it checked out.
You may want to add some refrigerant and see if it that fixes the problem Any local auto parts store will have the refrigerant and installation gauge. They do have refrigerants that include stop leak additives.

Quest/32 oz. of refrigerant and 4 oz. of Sub-Zero booster A/C recharge kit (322) | Freon Charging Kit | AutoZone.com

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You may want to add some refrigerant and see if it that fixes the problem Any local auto parts store will have the refrigerant and installation gauge. They do have refrigerants that include stop leak additives.

Quest/32 oz. of refrigerant and 4 oz. of Sub-Zero booster A/C recharge kit (322) | Freon Charging Kit | AutoZone.com
We are in Canada... there are pretty strict rules on who can purchase and handle refrigerant. Can't buy without at least an ODP card here. Get caught with refrigerant and no license and its a big fine.

That does sound somewhat steep... OP where are you located/what shop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Im located in Canada Ontario, Just outside of alliston and the place is called master mechanic.

Basically last year the AC stopped. My fiance brought it to canadian tire. They said a hose needed to be replaced, there was a leak. So after they did whatever to it, it was $800(when we got it back it still didnt seem to be working to its full potential). Come fall time a couple months later, it stopped working again. I talked to Canadian tire since I just spent a bundle and they didnt care they already fixed it. I would be charged for whatever services. I didnt bother bringing it back and since have boycotted canadian tire completely.

So we waited until this year to get it looked at since we wouldnt need it for winter obviously. She needed some work done on the car anyways...exhaust leak..breaks..etc. So I had them look at it. He called me later that day and explained they think their is a small leak but they cant find it. So they would do whatever it is they do and it should work. They would add some sort of dye so when it stopped working later in the season, they would be able to see where the hole is. I guess they did all of this to it, made sure there was freon and all that but it still wouldnt work. So he told me the compressor is toast and I need a new one.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
AC parts can be very expensive! My AC died last fall. Had it topped up this spring and dye added as well. Took a month to leak out again, and found a leak in my evaporator [in the dashboard in line with the cabin filter]. btw the dye itself is smelly but the freon isn't. Was quoted by my mechanic i've trusted for many years for $1300 [all inclusive] to replace it cuz it's not available after market yet, and it's much labour since it's tucked wayyyy under the dash. So he used a refrigerant system sealer. That's been about two weeks now, nice and cold brrr! The dye smell hasn't returned so no more apparent leak, and time will tell how well/how long the sealant lasts.

So to answer your question, if they put freon in it, it should work at least temporarily. If it still doesn't work, then they are probably telling you the truth about the compressor or another expensive component. Keep a healthy dialog going with your new shop, expressing your concerns with CT etc.
I'm not a mechanic but i like to ask how the systems work, and appreciate it when they "keep me in the loop" :) I hope they do too, and let us know how it goes. Hope it helps. 08v

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Im located in Canada Ontario, Just outside of alliston and the place is called master mechanic.

Basically last year the AC stopped. My fiance brought it to canadian tire. They said a hose needed to be replaced, there was a leak. So after they did whatever to it, it was $800(when we got it back it still didnt seem to be working to its full potential). Come fall time a couple months later, it stopped working again. I talked to Canadian tire since I just spent a bundle and they didnt care they already fixed it. I would be charged for whatever services. I didnt bother bringing it back and since have boycotted canadian tire completely.

So we waited until this year to get it looked at since we wouldnt need it for winter obviously. She needed some work done on the car anyways...exhaust leak..breaks..etc. So I had them look at it. He called me later that day and explained they think their is a small leak but they cant find it. So they would do whatever it is they do and it should work. They would add some sort of dye so when it stopped working later in the season, they would be able to see where the hole is. I guess they did all of this to it, made sure there was freon and all that but it still wouldnt work. So he told me the compressor is toast and I need a new one.

I would suggest going to a different shop... those master mechanic places are just about as bad as CT.

As far as the stuff Bluv posted... its tetrafluoroethane (a refrigerant)... supposedly. But if they told you that it has refrigerant, then adding that can only damage the system. I have actually seen it before where people decided to troubleshoot their own A/C's at home and ended up over charging the system, which led to a replacement of the compressor in some cases, and even replacing the whole system in another. I thought they stopped selling it long ago!

Also, I was shocked to find out that you can buy those things at Canadian Tire. I didn't think they sold them anymore... any "real" supplier will require a refrigeration license to buy refrigerant.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
or try this

Hey blue can you tell me what it is and how I apply it?
my friend has a 2006 honda civic and the AC was blowing hot air, then he added some of that and the AC is working again.

I was going to add some to my AC on the Versa, but the gage was indicating it was full, and I also have a thermometer on the AC vent and it did drop to 48F degree and when the car is moving it went down to 45F degrees and that's as cold as its going to get.

if the compressor is not cycling on and off the quick charge is not going to work, make sure you put it on the low pressure hose and follow this instructions carefully.

you can get it at walmart or any other auto parts store, its about 20.00 dollars. worth the shot IMO but plz be very careful :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would suggest going to a different shop... those master mechanic places are just about as bad as CT.

As far as the stuff Bluv posted... its tetrafluoroethane (a refrigerant)... supposedly. But if they told you that it has refrigerant, then adding that can only damage the system. I have actually seen it before where people decided to troubleshoot their own A/C's at home and ended up over charging the system, which led to a replacement of the compressor in some cases, and even replacing the whole system in another. I thought they stopped selling it long ago!

Also, I was shocked to find out that you can buy those things at Canadian Tire. I didn't think they sold them anymore... any "real" supplier will require a refrigeration license to buy refrigerant.
if their system is full, and they still added more freon. R.I.P AC system :nopity: if its not broke, don't fix it.

I checked mine and it was full so I didn't add any freon, the gage was on the blue area, then I unhooked the hose off.
some people like to add more just in case, and that's not good at all.

man...now I sound like I sell this stuff..lol

anyone reading this, please do your own research or just stay away from it, whatever works best; I'm just trying to help :Angel_anim:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Please people, do not check your own AC systems!! As a mechanic i see time and time again people trying to "top up" their own systems using these "R134a" top ups. Its way too east to over charge the system causing failure to your compressor, which is expensive, and not easy to change... Also usually these kits are just propane, which is the best refrigerant but has a nasty side effect of exploding.

Also its not just the labor to change the comp, there is labor to properly evacuate the system of freon, then vacuum and recharge the system. Which places usually charge an hour and a half. Also if you are low on freon that's $40 a lb

I would be weary of a place that only thinks its a compressor... I hate when it sounds like people are guessing, you should take it nissan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh another thing about those kits, they go by pressure... Pressure always, ALWAYS, changes in an AC systems, a basic principal of a refrigerant system... You MUST add freon based on weight, it's the only way to acurately charge an ac system. And you can't just top it up, you have to completely evacuate, and then recharge from empty to get an acurate charge

You'll notice on a sticker under your hood, the AC capacity is measured in either lbs/ozs or Kgs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.