Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I was in car accident. Two airbags was deployed, driver and side (roof) passenger.
I ordered airbag online, but then I realized it is only airbag, but actually you need to change a lot of parts besides airbag itself.
What are those parts?
Did I do stupid thing? Looks like I supposed to order all in one, like a set - airbag itself, belt, module etc...
It should arrive tomorrow. But anyway I think I did mistake, should ask my mechanic first about airbag.
Any advice on that? Can I add other parts to airbag after or I need to order the whole set together?

P.S.Bumper, hood is here, waiting for headlight and passenger mirror as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hello guys. I was in car accident. Two airbags was deployed, driver and side (roof) passenger.
I ordered airbag online, but then I realized it is only airbag, but actually you need to change a lot of parts besides airbag itself.
What are those parts?
Did I do stupid thing? Looks like I supposed to order all in one, like a set - airbag itself, belt, module etc...
It should arrive tomorrow. But anyway I think I did mistake, should ask my mechanic first about airbag.
Any advice on that? Can I add other parts to airbag after or I need to order the whole set together?

P.S.Bumper, hood is here, waiting for headlight and passenger mirror as well.
Just a general word of caution when working with air bags, YOU DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANY MISTAKES. You are dealing with a potentially DEADLY item that if not handled correctly can deploy and maim or kill a person. You will get some posters saying that doing the repair is a piece of cake, but if you watch this video, you will get an idea of what is involved in replacing an air bag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the video! I'm not going to replace it by myself, but it really helps to understand what I need to change with my driver airbag and passenger curtain one.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Its rumored when the driver side steering wheel deploys the force ruins the steering column as its design to collapse in an accident.

So, sounds like you are ok. Glad you did not get or injured too badly.

How is the car? Was the car damaged?

Can you tell us about the accident? Was it a rogue shopping cart hitting your car at the mall or a head on 65 mph deal? :wink

Usually with the cost and damage of the car and from the bags the price to repair it exceeds the value of the car and most insurance co say its totaled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't remember what was the speed. My epic fail was I switched the pedals, was shocked. Lost my attention at night with stupid navigation and then on the curve car was slipping and instead of break I push the gas, hit two fences.
Driver airbag, Side roof passenger and chair (right, opened, but didn't deploy). I guess speed was 55 on the 40 curve, but like up to 70 maybe after pushing gas hard or whatever, it was like 3-5 seconds and done. My first car and first accident, I still don't understand why I pushed the gas instead of break, but it is what it is. Glad I didn't hit anyone or cows, for example. It is Texas in the middle of nowhere 1am, I'm on someone's property. No coverage on the phone. Was scary that night. Only injures I had is burns on my fingers which is totally fine now.
So car is already looking like good. A lot of dents on the body from passenger side especially, hood is black now, bumper is black... mechanic made everything straight at the front. I will paint it later, already spend a lot of money, glad not that much as it could be with officials! Now I'm worried about airbags mostly. I want to do it correct way. Mechanic is working on the car and doing pretty good job. Still thinking how many parts I need to order for SRS system to get it 100% fixed and correct. 3 airbags, well two more, modules for three, belts, driver side is ok, passenger is blocked and probably sensors.
I have liability only, so no help with it from insurance company. International student life :)
Sorry English is not my first language.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And you never believe my mechanic is in America. I like his job and his price, surprised me. I hope he understands SRS system. That cost a lot usually. But I ordered all the parts by myself. I pay only for his labor, which is reasonable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
keyreel
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing