Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I was driving pretty fast tonight, nothing obscene or anything, but about 10 over on my 2007 versa hb 6 speed and I noticed the alternator light flicker. Tested it a couple times and it would happen when the engine was dropping in RPMs at about 2900-3000. Caught it on video https://plus.google.com/100266898262549875093/posts/AGzDMUoH6DN

I'm guessing its just the alternator going bad, but can I get some opinions? I had a feeling the alternator might be going bad before because the lights would dim a bit over 3000 rpms but now the blower for the heater/ac also seems to run slower at higher engine speeds as well

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Could be alternator but before I swapped it out I would check the wiring to the alternator, grounds, battery terminals and the belt.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If the voltage regulator is a separate module on the alternator, I suspect that before the whole alternator, my two cents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
877 Posts
Basically, I was driving pretty fast tonight, nothing obscene or anything, but about 10 over on my 2007 versa hb 6 speed and I noticed the alternator light flicker. Tested it a couple times and it would happen when the engine was dropping in RPMs at about 2900-3000. Caught it on video https://plus.google.com/100266898262549875093/posts/AGzDMUoH6DN

I'm guessing its just the alternator going bad, but can I get some opinions? I had a feeling the alternator might be going bad before because the lights would dim a bit over 3000 rpms but now the blower for the heater/ac also seems to run slower at higher engine speeds as well
You might want to check the alternator belt for wear, along with the belt tensioner. If the belt is worn, it might be slipping as the engine rpms decline. Same goes for the belt tensioner. Most of the large auto parts stores will be happy to test your charging system for free, so you may want to have that done if all proves o.k. with the belt and tensioner. Good luck!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Same happened here. Alternator is going. In my case it killed the battery too from being in a constant state of discharge for the time that the flickering alternator light occured to when it finally died and wouldn't even charge. Check all the above mentioned stuff from other people of course.

I don't have a service manual but i have access to Mitchell1/OnDemand5 information system we use at the shop i work at. Tell me what you want and i can send it your way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just need to know what size bolts are holding the alternator, and which ones need to be removed to remove the whole alternator. Also if theres anything I can remove to get better access to the alternator since its kind of packed in there

·
Registered
690 Posts
Removing it is pretty simple... use a wrench to slacken the mechanical spring tensioner and remove the belt over the alternator pulley. Unbolt the B+ terminal, remove the bolts holding it onto the block bracket, unplug the electrical connector, take er out! You might want to replace the accessory belt depending on mileage, the automatic tensioner stretches the belt quite a bit. In fact if you look at the tensioner itself it has a "wear indicator" of sorts, just an arrow on the pivoting part of the assembly, and a mark on the stationary portion on the block. It's dependent on belt stretch, once the tensioner goes past a certain point to tension the belt, the belt needs to be replaced because it has stretched too much. It may also have cracks in it as a sign of wear, or any loose fibers.

Reactions: Pandemonium
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.