Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is about to start driving and I'm looking for a car. I've found a 2009 Versa for sale but the guy said :

It does not currently drive as the timing belt went out

I asked for more details since the Versa has a timing chain and not a belt. He said:

My car stopped working and the engine would turn over but wouldn't catch. I'm not a car guy so I took it to my mechanic who told me the timing belt was the problem. He quoted a huge price to fix it (mostly labor) and after calling a couple other shops and getting similar quotes when mentioning the problem I decided to sell it instead. He could have said timing chain and I just misrememberied it, and the other shops just knew what I meant and didn't correct me, I don't know. If you want to look it over yourself, I'd be fine with that.

I've got some experience working on my own cars (I've replaced timing belts, clutches, etc) a good garage and plenty of patience :)

My questions are:
  1. what do you think about this guy's story?
  2. what else should I look for on the car?
  3. how much would you pay?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I might have seen the same ad if you are in the midwest. He is either full of it, or his mechanics are brain dead.
Then again, so is the engine at this point. It is an interference engine, so valves would be bent and holes in the pistons.
I would pass, unless you want to put a new engine in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's the same ad, and I figured it was probably a bad idea... Thanks for the input Keith!

·
Registered
146 Posts
If the timing belt went out while driving, you basically need a new engine.
I wouldn’t do it but hey, if it’s cheap and you have a junkyard next to you with a very nice new engine...it might even ended up being entertaining :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts