Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My car is a 2008 versa hatchback SL. My issue started about two - three weeks ago. Could be longer as i only drive the car here and there (it's my wife's car) First thing i noticed is that it seems to " revolutionize" lower than usual. its noticeable at red lights. The engine has never actually stopped but i feel like its not running or the engine is not turning fast enough. Then i noticed that there is some kind of very noticeable hesitation when driving at lower speed and barely touching the gaz. I can make it do it if i drive between 55 and 65 km/h let it glide and slightly re-accelarate. Also last week i checked the oil thingy and it was really low so I added 2 pinte of oil that put me back right in between low and high. Last oil change was only 7000 km ago. Anyway been reading a bit and cant seem to pinpoint to anything in particular. Any leads / help would be appreciated.

PS : Car only has 62000 KM.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Interesting problem, my old car used to do something just like this, and when it did at the red lights I would just give it a little gas to rev my RPM's a little higher and make sure it was running. Make sure that you don't have an oil leak first, seeing that your oil was low.
I'm assuming you don't have a check engine light on because you probably would have mentioned it..hmm.

My best answer would probably be just to talk to a Nissan mechanic, tell him the symptoms, and see what he says. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Welcome!
Adding that much oil, it must've been very very low. When it's half way between full and add, I'll add about half a litre.
^^Yes check for oil leaks. A small amount of oil consumption is normal...I'll add half litre twice in 10000km...but consult a trusted mechanic if it's more than that:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Sergmx,

Yes i'm sorry I forgot to mention that my check engine light came on a week ago. it dissapeared when i added the oil but came back yesterday. Question : if i buy the thing that i plug onto the car to get diagnostic, is it fairly easy to plug it in ? also thank you for taking the time to reply to my post :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also one night coming back fom work I had to close the gaz thank lid as my wife drove with it completely open. Don't know if this is relevant or not. Could air getting in the gaz tank create an issue ?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Hello Sergmx,

Yes i'm sorry I forgot to mention that my check engine light came on a week ago. it dissapeared when i added the oil but came back yesterday. Question : if i buy the thing that i plug onto the car to get diagnostic, is it fairly easy to plug it in ? also thank you for taking the time to reply to my post :)
The diagnostic thing is very simple to use. All you do is find the plug for it under the steering wheel near the pedals, then turn on your car and the device will diagnose the car. Im pretty sure it will tell you exactly what is wrong.

Here where in Virginia, you can just go to advanced auto parts and they let you borrow the diagnostic thing for free, theyjust take your license while you use it. Once again, good luck with everything. :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i believe cheaper/lesser/generic diagnostic readers are less comprehensive in scope.
some pricey ones give real time voltages etc...would be very handy if i had the bucks:D
...and if i knew what i was doing that would be helpful too i suppose:)
So they are easy to plug in, but when it comes to meaningful data, ya get whatcha pay for
Edit: also a loose or missing gas cap would likely give an error code, even if the check engine light doesn't come on
Edit Edit: Maybe a Canadian Tire or PartSource or independent trusted mechanic will lend you a diagnostic tool:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thanks to both of you for the infos. I tried to get it to the dealer today but they were too busy. In the meantime my wife got stuck with it at work. She had to leave it there as it won't start. She tried a battery boost and it worked for a few seconds but it died again. The guy that helped her told her he does not think its a battery issue. By reading all kinds of post on this site i think it might by the gaz regulator. I found an DYV on you tube on how to change it but it looks quite complicated so I think i will get it towed to the dealer. I will let you know what comes out of it :)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I had my FPR fuel pressure regulator changed at about 150000km.
Symptoms: starter would crank forever, but when it did start [after lots of pumping the gas pedal] it ran no problem. If it is the FPR, you do NOT have to replace the whole fuel pump, just the regulator on top of the fuel pump!:) Part about $50, about one hour labour. I would say this is the most common Versa miscombobulation
Hope this is helpful to you and your wife.
PS you likely don't need a Nissan dealer for this diagnosis :) but the FPR only available from Nissan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts