Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just passed 70k miles on my 2009 and the clutch feels awful.

I get slipping off the line in 1st gear with an occasional chatter feeling. In addition you can smell the clutch burning just getting on the freeway or driving up a steep hill. I'm fairly certain it is toast.

Nissan wanted around $1700 to fix it. Seeing as I can get the clutch for $150 I'd like to do it myself.

Now the service manual states the entire engine/trans has to come out just to change it.. I don't see why I can't just support the engine and separate the trans.

I've got access to a friends garage with all the necessary tools, I would just like to avoid pulling the engine.

Curious if anyone has any first hand experience with this car..

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I haven't done it on a Versa but I have done it on about 4 other fwd nissans and a couple of RWD vehicles. I looked over the Versa and this seems rather easy.

I don't see any reason to remove the engine. Your plan is exactly how I would attempt it. Leave the engine and separate the tranny. I say you go for it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I replaced the trans with the help of a friend on a blazer back a couple years. Now I know is a different make but there was no engine removal necessary, Just jack up the car up enough where you have enough space to work with. Just make sure you support the trans while removing or you could end up crushing yourself or your friend lol. The engine should be supported independently from the trans so no need to worry about that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My plan is also to support the engine and try separating the the trans without pulling the engine. It may mean disassembling some of the suspension, but I agree, it's better not to have to deal with all the connections associated with pulling an engine.

So far my clutch is holding at 91k, but I can tell it's getting thin, engagement's getting pretty high on the pedal.

When it does go I'm doing a lightweight fly while i'm in there, take care of some of the rev hang.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I believe we will have to disconnect the lower control arm from the hub to remove the CV axles but that shouldn't be too hard. The trans has the lower torque mount and a driver side mount so the engine will fall without it.

I found this jig that mounts over top on the fenders and will support the engine, and for 80 bucks why not.

1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar

I'm no mechanic but I've spent my fair share of time under cars, helping friends install mods and assisting with engine swaps. I'd like to learn how to do these things so what better way then trying first hand. Got another car to drive so I can take my time and do it right.
:wink

·
Registered
105 Posts
You want to purchase a Concentric Slave Cylinder before you pull the tranny out. The service manual recommends not to use the old one. It may be a ploy to sell Concentric Slave Cylinders.

Frank 2009 Versa S MT-6

·
Registered
527 Posts
A clutch replacement on a FWD car is obviously much more involved than on a RWD car. I would think the procedures are quite similar on different brands of FWD cars. Starting with removing the half shafts, having a device to hold the engine up while you remove several engine/transaxle mounts.

I helped a mechanic friend of mine do a couple of transmission swaps on a Dodge Omni 20+ yrs ago Seeing it done twice and being quite handy myself, I would not dare to do it without "adult supervision". No problem taking it apart, putting it back together would be a bitch.

I think that's why they charge that much to do since the work is quite labor intensive. Definitely not a 15 minute job on an air-cooled VW bug.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Apparently nobody knows how to drive standard if you're going through clutches like you above are...

Easy if you could rent a hoist for a day. Get Bob's OEM clutch kit, it has everything you need, and his lightweight flywheel if you could afford it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You want to purchase a Concentric Slave Cylinder before you pull the tranny out. The service manual recommends not to use the old one. It may be a ploy to sell Concentric Slave Cylinders.

Frank 2009 Versa S MT-6
A ploy? Do you want to risk re-using a $15 part and pulling the tranny all over again?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently nobody knows how to drive standard if you're going through clutches like you above are...
This car taught three people how to drive stick so no we did not haha.

I was planning on getting the OEM unit Bob has, the picture shows the release bearing/cylinder and alignment tool.. I'm assuming those are included in the kit?

The flywheel would be a nice addition and really doesn't cost too much. Any idea if it comes with a pilot bushing?

·
Registered
690 Posts
The MSRP is $147
Cool story bro.

Bob's clutch kit which contains the CSC, disc, pressure plate, and alignment tool, costs 190.

You're really that cheap?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well i guess i'm part of the small minority of Nissan owners who actually have money. It simply angers me that somebody calls it a "ploy to sell more CSC's", it isn't so. The way a CSC as opposed to a traditional lever/fork setup works is that the travel motion is more consistent and the nature of it being such that the CSC integrates the function of a fork and release bearing, once the seals relax after removing the transmission, they ride up on dirt and dust that has built up. Just the same as when bleeding brakes you should not bottom out the pedal because you are pushing the seals into a portion of the MC that is rarely covered and as such is usually rusty or pitted, or else you risk leakage. For a transmission/clutch job it is a big risk to re-use it and have leakage, that's roughly an $800 job at an indy shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't done it on a Versa but I have done it on about 4 other fwd nissans and a couple of RWD vehicles. I looked over the Versa and this seems rather easy.

I don't see any reason to remove the engine. Your plan is exactly how I would attempt it. Leave the engine and separate the tranny. I say you go for it.
Hillsboro Maryland 60 or 2007

Hello hello welcome back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.