Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the gas stations I frequent has a new E85 pump which is about 20 cents less per gallon than the low grade 87 octane gasoline. This means it is 85 percent ethanol and here in Ohio we are having a bumper corn crop so maybe the price will go lower. I have never used E85 and wonder how it will affect my 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 HB. Is MPG affected? Are engine parts affected?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Corn is for food not fuel. Wish they would take the 10% of ethanol out of regular gas. I bet I could hit 50mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would stick to real gas too. I wouldnt use the E85 either

·
Registered
206 Posts
The owners manual specifically states do not use E15 or E85 it will damage your fuel system or adversely affect the emissions systems of your vehicle, damage is not covered by warranty.

Only vehicles that are "Flexible Fuel Vehicle" can use E85 they will have a specific E85 filler door. Stick to regular 87 anti knock index.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I put 10 percent ethanol in my car in some states where that's all they sell. I take it this gas grade will not damage my car. My normal gas station has "real" gasoline.
You are fine. Our cars are good to run on E10. E10 is all we have here. There is isn't any 100% gas for hundreds
Of miles from where I live.

·
Registered
876 Posts
One of the gas stations I frequent has a new E85 pump which is about 20 cents less per gallon than the low grade 87 octane gasoline. This means it is 85 percent ethanol and here in Ohio we are having a bumper corn crop so maybe the price will go lower. I have never used E85 and wonder how it will affect my 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 HB. Is MPG affected? Are engine parts affected?
On the Other: Massive Damage Eventually

E85 contains 85 percent ethanol--a corrosive substance. Manufacturers design flex-fuel vehicles to withstand the damage ethanol can do to a normal vehicle, according to Popular Mechanics. Long-term use of E85 in a regular Nissan Versa will likely lead to expensive engine damage within a few years.
Bottom Line

Using E85 in a regular Nissan Versa just once probably won't cause much damage to the car. However, E85 would corrode your engine eventually. If you want to use E85, you must purchase the flex-fuel version of the car. Also, avoid E85 conversion kits, because they do not have adequate sensors to deliver the right amount of fuel to the engine, according to Popular Mechanics.
Source:

Denver Post

Popular Mechanics

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Other: Massive Damage Eventually

E85 contains 85 percent ethanol--a corrosive substance. Manufacturers design flex-fuel vehicles to withstand the damage ethanol can do to a normal vehicle, according to Popular Mechanics. Long-term use of E85 in a regular Nissan Versa will likely lead to expensive engine damage within a few years.
Bottom Line

Using E85 in a regular Nissan Versa just once probably won't cause much damage to the car. However, E85 would corrode your engine eventually. If you want to use E85, you must purchase the flex-fuel version of the car. Also, avoid E85 conversion kits, because they do not have adequate sensors to deliver the right amount of fuel to the engine, according to Popular Mechanics.
Source:

Denver Post

Popular Mechanics
Thanks for all the replies. Glad I asked the question rather than pump it in for 20 cents less per gallon. I hope this thread helps others as E85 is popping up more frequently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would Never... Ever put E85 in anything. For what you save at the gas pump you will more than likely pay dearly later on. I don't care if my manual said it was safe to use it. My answer is no way hozey.

Try running a tank full of it or even 50/50 and see what mileage you get. If it was me I would not put that nozzle close to my tank.

Peace

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been running e85 for over 90,000 miles in my 2009 versa. No issues at all. No fuel issues etc... My exhaust is shiny clean ;).

There is a lot of misconception about e85.

Unless your car has cork seals or steel fuel lines that are not corrosive resistant you will probably be fine(almost any car after 1990).

You do need a piggy back or a reflash to adjust to the different burn rate of e85 along with a sensor if your going to flip back and forth. If done right no power loss at all!!

The oem versa injectors are more then capable of handling the increased pulse-widths needed for the extra amount of fuel.

Ethanol does not take away from your food!!!! The ethanol is made from feed stock. The funny thing is that people assume then that it is taking food away from livestock. However in order to even make live stock feed you have to ferment it. What happens when you ferment the livestock feed? It makes ethanol and live stock feed!! Amazing.

The versa has a brother in brazil that does e85 already Tiida FFV. You might be able to grab the ecu from that and make it work easily. This is not the route I went but if anyone happens to try it let me know.

E85 on!!! Just do it right.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have been running e85 for over 90,000 miles in my 2009 versa. No issues at all. No fuel issues etc... My exhaust is shiny clean ;).

Unless your car has cork seals or steel fuel lines that are not corrosive resistant you will probably be fine(almost any car after 1990).

You do need a piggy back or a reflash to adjust to the different burn rate of e85 along with a sensor if your going to flip back and forth. If done right no power loss at all!!

The oem versa injectors are more then capable of handling the increased pulse-widths needed for the extra amount of fuel.

Ethanol does not take away from your food!!!! The ethanol is made from feed stock. The funny thing is that people assume then that it is taking food away from livestock. However in order to even make live stock feed you have to ferment it. What happens when you ferment the livestock feed? It makes ethanol and live stock feed!! Amazing.

The versa has a brother in brazil that does e85 already Tiida FFV. You might be able to grab the ecu from that and make it work easily. This is not the route I went but if anyone happens to try it let me know.

Leaving politics aside and just concentrate on the science, there is nothing wrong with running E85 as long as your vehicle is certified by the manufacturer to run E85 fuel. Ethanol has certain chemical properties which may not be compatible with some of the materials used in the fuel system of the car. Those parts are upgraded in an E85 certified car. There are also calibration differences in the vehicle's engine computer which may indicate a malfunction (Check Engine Light turning on) when you use E85 fuel.

More important, E85 has approx 75-80% the energy content of gasoline, which means if the price of E85 is not more than 20-25% LESS than gasoline, YOU ARE NOT SAVING MONEY. Plain and simple!

·
Registered
440 Posts

You will have issues in the near future. Plain & SImple.

Unless the manf. says it can take E85 fuel, then it simply cannot. There is a specific reason why all fuels have a maximum of 10% ethanol combination - that is due to damage that occurs if the ratio was more than that.

It isn't just metal lines and combustion chamber that get destroyed it is rubber as well. Ethanol and rubber do not play nice together. Look at any rubber that comes into contact with E85 and if you took an identical vehicle that ran regular fuel you will see that either the rubber is cracking or has become very brittle.

You saving a few pennies at the pump (which isn't true bc ethanol is far less efficient that petroleum) is going to cost a pretty penny soon down the road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Plain and simple I wont! You have not listed any data to even prove that I will nor have you done any research. I have gone through the car fully. There is nothing on it that isnt compatible with ethanol. Please list the so called rubber lines that you think I am having issues and I am more then happy to pull it apart and show you. I have built several e85 performance conversions on several different vehicles in the past so its not like this is my first time around the block with it. Im not some hack that just did it to do it.

I have looked at all the lines, pump, filters, gaskets and injectors. All of them are ok to use. If you would like me to pull apart any individual part and take pictures I can show you. There is currently no damage at all. The fuel system is already ok for high eth content. My ecu is re-calibrated and I am running acceptable duty-cycles on my fuel injectors. I have a plx wideband installed that I originally used when mapping out the increased fuel needed to run e85 safe. I also changed my timing maps to be a bit more aggressive since e85 is more forgiving.

Gas price in my location: $3.90
E85 price in my location: $2.60

Difference per gallon: $1.90

My map is at 17% more fuel for e85 so lets add 17% to the price per gallon on e85 to make up the mileage difference.

Gas: 3.90
E85: 3.05

Difference 0.85 Keep in mind gas was way higher then e85 for a long time during my time of ownership so my saving are even higher.

90,000 Total Miles driven on e85. Math based on 30mpg with adjustments on the +17% on e85 side to make up for extra fuel.

Gas cost would be $11,700
e85 cost would be $9, 150

Total Gas Savings $2,550+

Please feel free to pick apart the math in case I messed up.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I used it in a 2010 honda insight. I started mixing 4 gallons gas and 6 85. Engine was quieter, mpg bumped up about 3-4 and it seemed to have more torque. I did try a tank but in the days it was near freezing I got a dtc and trim error for the injectors. So I just returned to the mix as I worked for the gov and had access to e85.

As the price of gas goes up e fuel will get cheaper. As it goes down it can even cost more than pure gas.

My local east coast/mapco station upgraded the pumps. You can now choose 87,89 e15 e30 e85 and diesel. :nerd:

Ill do a few of the regular then see next fill up what a gallon of e10 does. That way if its bad I can fill it up with 87. Im pretty sure e15 wont hurt it. As is gas is suppose to have 10% e or so they claim.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I dont know about you guys, but Ive bought a lot of gas over the years. Im sure Ive purchased something other than pure gasoline as well as up to 10% ethanol with my 90% pure gasoline. I dont see how another 5% ethanol will do much harm. As is the e85 logo says the fuel may contain 85-35% ethanol on the pump. :surprise

The only reason other than cost and or savings would be to help the environment. >:D As I said Im going to test it to see if I save or retain the same mpg. Ethanol has a lower btu and in theory you should used more. Also in theory burning it in a non e 85 flex fuel vehicle your afr may run lean and save you some mpg. I believe this is where engine vs fuel system damage can occur.

Some flex fuel vehicles will actually give more power and has 2 power ratings in their specs if you use regular vs e85 and give s different mpg specs.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Although ethanol has less btus it allows more boost, more timing and an e85 tuned fuel system can dump more fuel into an engine. :nerd:

Im just looking at mpg vs cost. I dont care about power, the environment or the crap about the children. >:D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The car won't run on it unless it it a flex fuel car, the injectors cannot range open enough to supply proper fuel/air ratio and the software doesn't cover it either.

E10? Good luck with that. Here In Texas it's E10 as well and look at how they can sell E85 for cheaper than regular gas. Why? The government foots the bill, ethanol still costs maybe $5-$6 bucks/gallon to make but the government provides a subsidy that pays for more than the difference, why the farmers love it so much. Drop that subsidy and most of the ethanol companies would be out of business in a week. I used to print the financial statements of bunches of those companies and that was the first thing they list in adverse conditions in the stock prospectuses. The oil companies actually water down gas with more ethanol than legal and common up to 20%, it's gets them more profit. Here the dealerships test for % when you bring in a car with a fuel related problem and if it tests high then the warranty is voided on the spot.

Gasoline A/F ratio 14.7.1.....................ethanol somewhere around 9/1, of course it's going to use more fuel, with E85 you may get more power but the fuel mileage is horrible. Alcohol makes more power but you have to feed almost liquid fuel to motor to do it, how you make more power. 17-25% less energy but you are feeding the fuel at 35% more to engine. I used to work on alcohol pro stock cars.

Ethanol is fine in modern cars at LOW levels and the car properly maintained to have a tight evap system and you drive the car on a regular basis. You won't see anything wrong. But let the fuel system get air to it in a leak, or let car sit a long time with ethanol in tank and then the issues will show up. Here in Texas I wash parts cheaply in fuel (outdoors, I don't smoke either), and you will get water condensing into the fuel in 5-10 minutes depending on how humid the day is. What ethanol does best, then it combines with that water to produce acids that damage things. Carbed cars because they are heavily vented to work hate the stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.