Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
So as some of you know I've been searching for a project car and a couple weeks ago I finally found one! Its a 1984 Mazda RX-7 GS. What does it have for awesomeness.. I mean options you ask? Well for starters there's the 5 spd manual. A 4 spd was the base transmission. Also it has the 12a rotary engine with 4 barrel carb and a manual choke. Basically the car is just cool. Definitely has that 80's feel. There's so much character I just love it. Here the plan for the car right now:
1. Body work (any rust and dents need to get sorted out)
2. Suspension (needs springs, struts, bushing, the lot.)
3. Interior resto. Its bad.
4. Engine. Mighht keep it na, might add some boost. Idk yet.

This is not gonna be a sideways car, so don't even mention it. Haha. I don't wanna be a drifter, I just wanna be a cruiser. Pics and videos to come!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any body kit plans?
Not really. Maybe change up the front bumper to eliminate some of the wedge-nose, but thats about it. It's gonna be mostly a stock car. Build up the motor a little bit, improve the handling, and redo the interior. It's gonna be a cruiser for sure.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on going about an inch lower. The parts car I want has coilovers already, so that'd be nice. If not, I'll just go with some lowering springs and tokico or kyb shocks/struts. Gonna keep the stock wheels as well. They're small (only 14x7") but they're wicked light, and tires for them are wicked cheap.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the RX home today and started tearing her apart. I pulled all the trim from the back of the car, and most of the trim from the center. seats, carpet, the lot. Labeled all screws in plastic baggies to make it easier to put back together. I will be adding pictures in just a little bit so you guys can see what she's looking like right now :)

Tomorrow I'll be taking out the front section of carpet, along with the part of the dash and the door panels. The stereo doesn't work, and it looks like the wiring is a little screwey.. I may have to rewire everything with a new headunit, new speakers, amps, etc. Most of the existing wiring is pretty gross where it wasn't directly covered by anything. Found a couple mice nests too. Only 1 bad rust spot, and its completely replaceable. Just gotta weld in some sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Towing her home:

Interior before shot:

After:

All the parts I removed today:

As she sits in the driveway:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Walk around video is uploading now. I'll attach it in a bit!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good. Are you still getting the parts car?
I'm holding off for now. The guy says he's thinking of just parting it out, so I might just wait until then and get just the parts I need cause he wants too much for the whole car and I really only want 3 or 4 parts.

Also, here's another video :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Finished stripping her this morning. The interior is completely out of the car now, which means the body work can begin. I also have to see if I can switch the passenger side door lock to the drivers side since the drivers side lock is broken (looks like someone tried to break in at some point). Went out and bought some primer and some black paint to start working on a few of the pieces that Mazda decided not to paint form the factory (mostly brackets for other dash pieces)

Video of it starting up and revving

Also, I figured out why the car was overheating for the previous owne.. the wiring harness for the thermostat was unplugged. *slaps forehead*

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For names I'm stuck between Raven and Excalibur. Kinda leaning towards Project Excalibur right now.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finished stripping her out today. The headliner and the last couple pieces of trim are out now. FIgured out only 1 of the hatch struts are blown, which will save me some money :) granted their only $20 or so.

On a separate note, I decided on colors. The trim is gonna be black and the carpet/seats/headliner are gonna be tan. The door panels will be upholstered to match.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think your plans are great, better cruiser than screamer:ihih:
Manual windows, manual tranny, manual radio lol, have manual steering? Love it! Pure connection to the road:woot:I'm jealous:smilejap:Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yupp. manual everything! But she does have A/C. Gonna be a great cruiser. The onyl thing she doesn't have that I wish she did is a sunroof, but I can survive without it I suppose..

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
^More headroom+++

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha. I fit in the car alright. I've always wanted a car with a sunroof, but I guess it'll have to wait.

Update: Finished all the interior body work today. Gonna go pick up some spray paint so I can start repainting the interior trim and start getting the whole thing back together, I also have to get some tan automotive carpet, carpet padding, and some sound insulation. Gonna go peel and seal for it. It worked great in the Versa, so it should be fine in he RX.

I've also been planning out what I want to do to the car as far as paint. I kinda like the black that it is now, but I was thinking a very very very dark blue would look cool as well :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts