Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just purchased a 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8S manual 6spd with 50k miles on it about two weeks ago.

I noticed that it seems to drive at higher RPMS than I've seen with other cars, and I want to know if other drivers are experiencing something similar. I typically change gears at around 2k RPMS, which seems to leave me with:
gear 1, 0-10mph
gear 2, 11-20mph
gear 3, 21-30mph
gear 4, 31-40mph
gear 5, 41-50mph
gear 6, 51+mph

After I'm in gear 6 and approaching around 70-75mph, my RPM seems to stay around 2.4k-3k (sometimes even as high as 3.4k).
Is there something wrong with my transmission or engine? It seems like I should be getting much higher speeds before going into the 3k RPM range. I also don't seem to get as great of gas mileage as I had hoped, it seems to be around 23-24mpg instead of the advertised 26/31mpg.
Has anybody else had this experience?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds normal for a small I-4. My old Cobalt (2.2 I-4 Ecotec, NA) sat around 3k RPM or so doing 75 MPH.

The CVT on my Note does a good job of keeping RPM's low when able. It can't do this well at freeway speeds but in the city I'm usually around 1.5k RPM.

Your gas mileage will vary of course but I found with mine if I keep the speed at 65 or below I hit the sticker gas mileage easily. In town I get the advertised mileage as well.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Your gears sound about right. I have a 2012 hatchback with 6 speed manual, and I typically do my gearing about the same as you. I get about 31mpg no matter where I drive though..all I've done is swapped a k&n filter in my car and that's it. Perhaps it may be time for a tune up?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately the gearing is very short and 6th is not an overdrive like I would like it to be since at 70MPH the RPM are over 3000. The gears are too close and my normal shifting is 1-2-4-6. 3rd and 5th have hardly been used. My average MPG is 33.4 over my 71600 miles.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 71600 miles

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
When I was doing a lot of interstate traveling with speeds regularly over 70mph I ran a wheel and tire combo with a little bit of a larger overall diameter which changed the final gear ratio of the car. Acceleration was hardly impacted but I was able to cruise at 80mph closer to 3000rpm than 4000rpm which made a good impact on fuel economy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts