Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way to work this morning I had the radio off and the fan off and guess what I heard? A wrist pin knocking ever so softly a lesser tuned ear would never have heard it but its there.

I wonder how many miles i can get out of this engine? 20k 30k Its looking like nissan will have to buy me 3-4 engines at that rate

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
:(

You shouldn't deal with this crap. If it were me and my car kept messing up I would have to get rid of it. Sorry you are having so many issues.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its not noticeable to anyone but me since Ive had the car since new. If I took it to the dealer they would tell me they don't hear it. Ill just wait until its noticable and take it tin then. Im half tempted to trade it on a new Fiesta

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Fiesta's aren't bad. I like the new accent too. At this point anything has to be more reliable then your current ride.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Why not a Focus or Mazda3, if you gonna trade up might as well be for something UP.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
those are a different class of car. But again two very nice choices. So many good options these days. I am liking mazda more and more everyday. If I were to buy a new car right now mazda6 would be on my list. As would an accord sport.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called nissan and scheduled a ride along with a mechanic. Im just going to get it in my file for later. See what they say it is. My Prelude made the same noise until i got rid of it never got any louder. Im wondering if full synthetic will quiet the engine down. I did notice after it broke in it got noticeably louder...

They also told me they haven't seen any newer ones in there its mostly the older ones.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
i think BluV made a video of his

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly youtube videos dont have the quality to hear most knocking unless its super loud. Most knocking noises have certain requirements to make them. Like mine is best heard in third gear 2000-2800 rpm with slight acceleration. Any other time I can't hear it

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mines not even noticeable at idle only under ^^^^these condidtions i wonder what a mr18de engine looks like scattered?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tell Nissan your not gonna deal with their bull, let em know your no nonsense from the beginning if your gonna deal with them. They will try to talk to you like they're doing you a favor by fixing the problem, even if its their responsibility.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^link is defective.

I took it into nissan and the tech said theres something making noise but its hard to tell when its so faint. Im going to wait till it gets louder before I proceed because if I were to take it in now they would have to spend at least two days trying to figure it out.

Its kinda funny that the tech said well if is piston slap its the first time he has heard the beginning of it.

Oh and its not wrist pins after all its piston slap. The versa has a aluminum block with no sleeve. Therefore if you have dirty oil it just eats away at the block and the piston can move around in the bore making the knocking noise.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats not the noise that sounds like a vacuum leak from a solenoid or a ticking valve or noisy injector. I guarantee no one would hear it except if you've worked on cars for many many years like i have. It took the tech as good ten minutes to hear it then he was craning his neck towards the windshield to hear I was laughing inside

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good luck with it.

I agree, don't let the dealer take you on anything. Be courteous but persistent. I had to be somewhat sharp with my local Nissan dealer to address some issues that they considered "normal" which I proved were not by driving the same model/year of versa on their lot.

What year of Prelude did you have? The H series in them and F series in Accords are known well for the valve chatter, especially at startup. My Accord always has had it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.