Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told recently when getting an alignment by a tech at my local nissan dealership that the axels were wearing as a result of my ksports. He said that because the car was lower the strain on the axels was becoming an issue. 1. Can this be true? 2. If so what can I do?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Lowered cars change the angle of the axle. The angle causes more wear on the joint. It's the nature of the game. If you don't want to replace axles more often then put the car back to stock height.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was told recently when getting an alignment by a tech at my local nissan dealership that the axels were wearing as a result of my ksports. He said that because the car was lower the strain on the axels was becoming an issue. 1. Can this be true? 2. If so what can I do?

Thanks
Aside from the fact that your car is lowered, it appears you have wide wheels and tires as well. These mods result in suspension geometry changes that will cause added stress to your whole suspension system and not just the axles. Normally a dealer will tell you that, if they see any abnormal wear and/or they see non-factory approved modifications are done to your car. However, subsequent damage can vary depending on the aggressiveness of your mods and the overall design of the suspension.

Since you probably cannot tell if the dealer is just trying to scare you or not, I'd suggest going to an independent shop that specialize on doing "go-fast" mods similar to your car and get their opinion. Based on their experience they can give you an idea on what your car can take. Some cars are more forgiving than others. Also, they may be able to recommend heavier duty parts (if any are available) which may address your concern.

If you are worried about something breaking, obviously you can put it back to stock and hope it's not too late.

·
Registered
691 Posts
As was stated by Rob, it's the nature of the game. You give up some practicality to look good, same as engine performance. You may give up driveability to have more power. Same as how spacers will load the bearings in a way they are not designed to withstand, lowering or lifting changes the axle inclination or angle, deviates from the way it was designed/engineered. In fact lowering (or raising) changes almost everything except steering axis inclination.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks guys. I will have my friend who owns a performance shop take a look. If need be I will remove the ksports and try something else. I just don't like the gap in the fender well to be too large so I'm not sure which route to go. I am about to put $5800 into the car to make it even more fun. But want to resolve some of these issues first.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Wow, someone putting money into their Versa. Good on you pal, i hope it's all on go fast parts.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you don't like the gap then you can always get larger profile tire.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Aside from the fact that your car is lowered, it appears you have wide wheels and tires as well. These mods result in suspension geometry changes that will cause added stress to your whole suspension system and not just the axles. Normally a dealer will tell you that, if they see any abnormal wear and/or they see non-factory approved modifications are done to your car. However, subsequent damage can vary depending on the aggressiveness of your mods and the overall design of the suspension.

Since you probably cannot tell if the dealer is just trying to scare you or not, I'd suggest going to an independent shop that specialize on doing "go-fast" mods similar to your car and get their opinion. Based on their experience they can give you an idea on what your car can take. Some cars are more forgiving than others. Also, they may be able to recommend heavier duty parts (if any are available) which may address your concern.

If you are worried about something breaking, obviously you can put it back to stock and hope it's not too late.
I'm not sure who this dude is but he knows whats up.

I know when I had my Versa it has some axel bind with the relatively modest drop I had on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You would have to pull the boot off the CV joint to see any "excess wear." Or it's too late already and they felt some grinding when rotating the axle.

The outer joint is a bearing and race style, while the inner is a triple roller.
the good part is that it's not terribly difficult to rebuild a bearing and race style joint, the bad part is that a triple roller is sometimes impossible to service, so the whole axle needs to be replaced.

Constant Velocity Axles (CV Axles) Fundamentals Explained - Raxles Inc.

when you lower your car you're compromising the in/out range of motion, and by extension also the rotational freedom of the inner joint.

A custom axle would solve your issue, a company like Raxles could help you out there. expect to shell out in the $500 range, if memory serves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sure there's a way to lower the car and keep all practicality in it, I forgot right as I was typing it :b

·
Registered
165 Posts
Alright lets start off by saying that Im impressed that the dealer knew that the axles are wearing bad when the only thing you can see from under the car is Rod and boots ( unless axle is making noise). 2nd is, the axle is a rod with a 360 bearing so up or down it operates the same BUT if you do go too low then you starts changing angles wich will cause more pressure on other items that were not intended to operated at said angle. So if you lower hard, expect premature wear on ball joints, bearings, bushings, tires etc etc. This can all be taken care of with upgrading all said weak parts and specialized ball joints that help the car get closer to factory angle called RCA. Im 3-4 inches down from stock on every car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Then again if you plan to slam it it's not in anyone's best interest. I plan to lower mine about 3/4 to an inch and everything should operate within proper values... I hope

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
G18Curse
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing