Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 09 versa SL into the mechanic and they looked at it for an alignment and when they came back they said both ball joints were needing replacement. When they took me to the bay they were able to wiggle the from tires to the left and right but not up and down (off the ground) and from my understanding it should actually gain movement up and down for a shot ball joint not the left and right. I later tried tightening the top shock bolt in the engine back as a hunch and when I did that the movement was gone. However about 2 weeks later that left and right motion is back.
I am wondering if anyone has had this and what I need to fix to get this safe. Is it just need a threadlocker on the bolt at the top of the shock? I was also a bit surprised that the torque in the shop manual is only 46ft/lbs for such a vibration heavy nut.
Thoughts?
This issue is making the car hard to control at highway speeds as I'm constantly countering the tires which have a small amount of free movement that the road can adjust them in.
The movement is about 1 inch in total but the steering wheel is pretty quick to show the movement in the tire. Both driver and passenger tire are experiencing the exact same thing too which I find really odd.
All coils have had the recall completed on them years ago.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tie rod play usually shows up as left/right play. Ball joints are up/down play. I think I'd take it to an independent mechanic I trust and have him give the front end a good going over to find what the true problem is. Years ago I was on a road trip and stopped to get my tires rotated they claimed I needed new tie rod ends but they'd just been checked about a week prior. I drove that car approximately another 100K miles I never changed the tie rod ends and when I sold the car tires were still wearing evenly. Some jobs such as tie rod ends are so easy and fast some shops use them as an easy dollar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts