Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 hatch will be 5 years old soon. How much longer can I expect the battery to last?
Also, when should I change the coolant? I only have 36k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
my battery died a while back and it was 5 years old. I did notice she was taking a little longer to start. Now with the new battery installed, she cracks quicker.

Coolant, 5 years or 60,000 miles. If you change it now, you won't have to change it for another 5 years or 60,000 miles

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Versa battery doesn't appear special to me. My Sentra battery was off-the-shelf, changed at 290000km, drive about 48-50000km per year

·
Registered
106 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 07 before this last winter as a preventative measure. There was a little confusion about the battery size when you look on the internet. I ended up going to the parts store and verifying the size and position of posts (pos and neg) before buying one. The car was getting slower to crank and my daughter is the primary driver so I didn't want her left stranded somewhere on a cold winter night.

I did my first drain and fill using Nissan coolant last fall. Simple and cheap. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the radiator. I know that doesn't get it all out, but I will do this service myself every summer or at least every other summer in the future to keep the coolant system in great condition.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I left my dang interior light on the other day. I was driving down the hwy and realized it was on from the night before. Thank goodness my battery didn't die because of my stupidity!
I'm pretty sure it shuts off if you leave it on by accident.

Cuz I have done the same thing, then go to start the car the next morning and the map lights turn on. I think the headlights do the same thing, but I have never tested it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had my battery pass away after 46-48 months, i believe.
no amplifiers, no aggressive driving, and i'm only up to about 31k now on my 08.
was easy to find a replacement at Sam's/Wal*Mart. the battery looked small in the engine bay, but the replacement was the proper size.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does anyone have the exact size/part number for the correct battery replacement? I believe I will need to change mine pretty soon as it has corroded/started cranking slower.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Does anyone have the exact size/part number for the correct battery replacement? I believe I will need to change mine pretty soon as it has corroded/started cranking slower.

Thanks in advance!
You can clean the corrosion off the terminals with hot water and a wire brush. Also if you have a multimeter, you can check the voltage of the battery. While running it should be within 14.4-14.7 range, while cranking the voltage shouldnt drop less than 4 volts. Gives you an idea of the charging and cranking ability of the battery. Would help save you from buying a new one :)

·
Registered
106 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Everstart Maxx-47 is what fit perfectly in my 07 V.

Whether you are replacing the battery or not, you want to clean off the corrosion. Then you can check the battery connections to make sure they are good and tight. To add to APLPIX's advice; take a large plastic cup, pour some baking soda in it then add water and mix it up good. Pour that on the corrosion areas and it will quickly dissolve. Won't need to wire brush it as much. If you have a servicable battery (you can take off the caps and add distilled water), make sure the caps are tight before the baking soda thing, you don't want any of that getting inside the battery.

To help prevent corrosion from coming back as fast, go buy some of those felt washer things (one is red, one is green) where they sell batteries (approx $1) and some di-electric grease (the grease is sometimes sold in a little packet for approx $1, good for a battery or two). Loosen the clamp holding the wires to the battery, remove the wire clamp from the terminal, make sure it is clean (maybe more water/soda and wire brushing), put the felt washer over the terminals, spread a little di-electric grease on the terminal and put the wires back on, and secure them well. May need to do the same thing with the hold down clamp. Sometimes corrosion will happen where the hold down clamp sits on the battery (common with my Toyotas).

Do this when you install a new battery (felt washer and grease) and you may not have to address corrosion for several years if at all based on my experience.

I have been quoted a price of $75 at a dealership to do the "battery service" thing I described above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.