Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have "Brake Upgrade" as part of my To Do list but I'm trying to find which I would choose, I'm looking for reliable brakes that will last and have a sporty performance for aggressive driving I should say? Sounds terrible...

But to be more technical I'm looking at just rotors and pads, no new calipers or kits, but anyone who has any information, reviews, or opinions on which rotors and pads would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah...this is kinda random but has anyone installed rear disc brakes yet?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
rear disc was done by bob at Versaspeed but he didn't want to produce them nor seem to want to give up any info as how to do it except b15 sentra parts were used and some things needed to be fabricated.

I would stick with the stock stuff if you want pads and rotors to last a long time. If you want to get a more aggressive pad go for it. But I doubt it will last as long as OEM. I still say stick with stock rotors no matter what. Or possibly brembo blanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well I just ordered EBC Ultimax slotted brakes and EBC Green Stuff Pads. Should be coming in before the weekend. I'll get it installed and let you know, I've heard nothing but positive reviews for EBC.

Grand Total with shipping was $280.61
(2 Rotors and 2 pads)

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Well I just ordered EBC Ultimax slotted brakes and EBC Green Stuff Pads. Should be coming in before the weekend. I'll get it installed and let you know, I've heard nothing but positive reviews for EBC.

(2 Rotors and 2 pads)
Funny you mentioned EBC greenstuff because those were the pads I was thinking when I mentioned more aggressive pads in my post. I too have heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Funny you mentioned EBC greenstuff because those were the pads I was thinking when I mentioned more aggressive pads in my post. I too have heard nothing but good things.
I was split between the Red Stuff and Green Stuff. Did further research and Red Stuff is for 200+ bhp and the Versa is nowhere even close to that, and the Green is a bit cheaper than Red so 'Icing on top of the cake' I suppose.

·
Read Only
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

(2 Rotors and 2 pads)
Let me know what you think about the slotted rotors, I see that most of the performance rotors are either slotted or drilled, never took the time to see what difference it made, Im guessing it uses the air to create more friction?

Anyways post your review! Im anxious to know!

·
Registered
302 Posts
hey shyguy, quick question and sorry for post jack, are you using this green stuff on a hatchback with ABS?
Yes I am. EBC offers Green Stuff with or without ABS.

Let me know what you think about the slotted rotors, I see that most of the performance rotors are either slotted or drilled, never took the time to see what difference it made, Im guessing it uses the air to create more friction?
People are still debating what's the difference between slotted and drilled. But in my opinion, unless it's a track / drag car, it's purely aesthetics.

Anyways post your review! Im anxious to know!
I'm eager to try them on, I've finally got a tracking number and it'll arrive by Friday!

·
Read Only
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
People are still debating what's the difference between slotted and drilled. But in my opinion, unless it's a track / drag car, it's purely aesthetics.
I did a little research...and I found out that the friction caused while braking causes so much heat that gases expand between the pad and the rotor which slightly push the pad away from the rotor reducing braking power. A slotted/drilled rotor is able to prevent this from happening by having an airflow.

With that being said...I think you're right, unless you're doing the first 5-6 miles of the Nurburgring Nordeschleife I don't think it will make that big of difference going to work other than the fact they look cool! Still excited nonetheless to hear what you think!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Finally got the brakes in during the weekends. Sadly the EBC Green Stuff pads will not fit into the calipers but I will try again on the following weekend. (OR get Hawk pads)
Onto the brakes itself, I could feel a better bite when I used the brakes (even with stock calipers), there is zero brake noise and the overall construction of it was very sturdy.
Overall:
EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors ~ 9.5/10
EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads ~ Inconclusive

I'll get pictures up as soon as I find my USB cable for the phone.

·
Read Only
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got the brakes in during the weekends. Sadly the EBC Green Stuff pads will not fit into the calipers but I will try again on the following weekend. (OR get Hawk pads)
Onto the brakes itself, I could feel a better bite when I used the brakes (even with stock calipers), there is zero brake noise and the overall construction of it was very sturdy.
Overall:
EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors ~ 9.5/10
EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads ~ Inconclusive

I'll get pictures up as soon as I find my USB cable for the phone.
:thumb2: Maybe I'll look into them, keep us updated, I thought about the hawk pads myself more people seemed to recommend them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've seen and heard quite a few bad things about EBC. Maybe they've improved their quality.

IMO Hawk HPS are some of the best pads you can buy. I have them paired with Powerslot slotted rotors on my Honda and its been a great combo. As far as standard rotors go the only one I would use are Brembo blanks. Don't ever ever ever get random rotors form the auto-parts store as they are Chinese junk and generally can't be turned because there is so little material.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Attached is a few pictures of the rotors.
Note: The black from the rotor WILL FADE on the break-in / test drive period. It is meant for corrosion protection while sitting on store shelves and not an aesthetic touch.

Attachments

Reactions: 2015BooBerryNote
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.