Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking for a new desktop.

does anyone know whats the best processors for a desktop PC?

A. AMD E-Series processor
B. Intel® Pentium® processor
C. 2nd Gen Intel® Core
D. AMD A4-Series processor
E. 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor
F. AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 processor
G. AMD Quad-Core FX-4100 processor
H. Intel Core i5-2320 processor

Help! :help: the PC will not be used for online games, no file sharing, no programs or anything, just basic internet and lots of picture files storage

EDIT:
I think I found something
starting with the name brand

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think I'll get something with a Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB

or something... :thumb2:
I have the i3-2125 for my desktop, handles games fine, but processing intensive programs suffer. If you want something midranged and powerful, try the i5 2500k or i5 3570K - the 2500K is 2nd gen, while the 3570k is 3rd gen. Both are unlockable, (has the "k" sku), for overclocking.

The best right now for average consumers would be the i7 2600k or i7 3770k, if you willing to spend alot more money, and go with an x79 configuration, the i7 3960k is pretty bitchin with 6 cores instead of the other 4 cores, but you paying double the price.

If you go AMD< you can get unlocked cpus that give 6 and 8 cores, I haven't worked with amd yet, so I don't know the cost and specs, or benchmarks, etc.

What are you going to use it for?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PC would be used for basic internet/google/youtube/facebook/NFV/ect but lots of pictures

no online games, no file sharing, no music programs, no downloading other than windows updates and anti-virus software.

pretty simple

was looking at this one
HP - Pavilion Slimline Desktop - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - s5-1224

we got a 20" LED to go with it

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your building your own desktop, AMD is the way to go. You can upgrade in the future without changing your motherboard. It's much more cost effective. Intel with every upgrade you will need to buy a new motherboard, AMD has very good processors, and most are unlocked, so you can overclock them to give you faster speeds, and it's much cheaper than the intel processors. You can build a kick ass desktop, for under 800, you can't do that with intel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If your building your own desktop, AMD is the way to go. You can upgrade in the future without changing your motherboard. It's much more cost effective. Intel with every upgrade you will need to buy a new motherboard, AMD has very good processors, and most are unlocked, so you can overclock them to give you faster speeds, and it's much cheaper than the intel processors. You can build a kick ass desktop, for under 800, you can't do that with intel.
or if you go the much cheaper route, get an AMD fusion board

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the i3-2125 for my desktop, handles games fine, but processing intensive programs suffer. If you want something midranged and powerful, try the i5 2500k or i5 3570K - the 2500K is 2nd gen, while the 3570k is 3rd gen. Both are unlockable, (has the "k" sku), for overclocking.

The best right now for average consumers would be the i7 2600k or i7 3770k, if you willing to spend alot more money, and go with an x79 configuration, the i7 3960k is pretty bitchin with 6 cores instead of the other 4 cores, but you paying double the price.

If you go AMD< you can get unlocked cpus that give 6 and 8 cores, I haven't worked with amd yet, so I don't know the cost and specs, or benchmarks, etc.

What are you going to use it for?
The PC would be used for basic internet
no PC games :nono:
well, actually more like angry birds... :ihih:

for gamer an i7 CPU would be the best right now and having the option to upgrade is a must. sometimes is cheaper to buy a new system then upgrading the old one.
I'm not familiar with AMD either

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A pentium Processor?

/facepalm

I would at least go for an i3 2nd gen, have you tried Dell?
Yes, Dells are great PC. especially for gamers.

"Intel® Pentium® processor
Features classic 2-way processing performance, letting you run multiple applications simultaneously, so you can browse, send instant messages, download music and transfer photos all at once."

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Slimline+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/

see? that's all the PC would be used for :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info.
800.00 is a good budget for a gamer PC. back in the old days 2002 or so, you needed a little more than that. Gamers always need to upgrade their CPU and other parts to keep it running cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts