Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, a couple disclaimers:
1-Modifying brakes can be incredibly dangerous so please proceed with caution.
2-This will not work on 1.6 Versa's because they use smaller rotors and they wont fit under these calipers.
3-The calipers are extremely wider than stock and so you have to have pretty high offset on your wheels to make them fit. I can't tell you what'll work and what won't. Stock Spec V wheels (04-06) will fit with offset +47. If your's aren't as wide, you might need to use spacers.

Now that that's taken care of, here is the plan. We're gonna take these:

And replace em with these:

What are these you ask? Well my friend, they are 1990-1991 26mm 300zx 4 piston calipers!

Credit for the swap info goes mostly to these guys over on the sentra forum:
All B15 Models 300ZX Calipers on a B15

At first I was actually looking into if we could swap spec-v brakes onto our cars, but turns out... We already have them! Our rotors are the same size and it appears that everything else is the same as well. I'll be going later this week to buy a pair of remanufactured calipers to do a test fit. Everything should go on fine, but I wanna be sure before I buy the other parts cause the stuff from online isn't really returnable. haha

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Very nice, looking forward to the swap. And as always the process and how-to.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Those look pretty. Do you have any guess as to what the finished total cost of the project?
2 remanufactured calipers: $150-250 depending on source
240sx to 300zx conversion brake lines: $40-75 again, depending on source

If you buy loaded calipers, sometimes they'll give you pads with them, but sometimes they dont which means another $30-80 depending on what you want for pads (oem spec vs a performance pad like Hawk)

So my total estimate right now is around $300 from the prices I've seen locally/online. Way easier on the wallet than a $1700 kit from Rotora (the wilwood kit is only $650), and if you have to replace the pads or rotors, all you have to do is go in looking for nissan parts, you don't have to buy special ones from the brake kit manufacturer.

Plus... These look badass :D

G

·
I was trying to order the wilwood kit last week and they are not sure they can get it anymore,,the kit was custom made and not directly made by wilwood,,just using wilwood calipers with custom brackets,,waited over a week and decided there was other stuff I needed,,ordered a stoptech kit,,hope it will be here soon~~~~

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^what about master cylinder?

Keep us posted and good luck.

Master cylinder bore on a 300zx (turbo OR NA) is 1.06 inches. The Sentra's (can't find the bore size for a Versa, but I believe they are the same) is .81 inches. Going with a larger bore master cylinder would require us to use more force to push in the brake pedal. Making the piston area larger by swapping to 300 brakes should actually result in a lighter pedal. If I decide that its too light and I want a heavier pedal (may very well happen) Then I would search out a larger bore master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a picture that shows the side by side comparison of the stock calipers and the 300zx calipers (not my car)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So to buy remanufactured calipers locally was gonna cost me $130 for each caliper plus $20 shipping, including the core charge. Because they're so expensive, I spent the morning scouring Ebay for a set of calipers, and guess what?! Found a pair for $170+$30 shipping!!

Seeing as how I'm cheap as f***, I made an offer of $140. He came back with $150+15 shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for the cost of basically 1 caliper, I got both of them :) Now I just have to order the brake lines and pads. This time next week I'll be doing the test fitting and making sure everything works.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Calipers+SS braided conversion brake lines should be here Monday! Once I make sure they fit, I'll be ordering a set of Hawk performance pads to go in em.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Can't wait for the final product, this could be a good kit to build if you wanna save around one thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't wait for the final product, this could be a good kit to build if you wanna save around one thousand dollars.
exactly. And I'd rather have OEM parts than be using an aftermarket kit where the individual components could dry up.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't had time to do the test fit yet as my schedule has been crazy. Also, I turned 21 this week, so you know how it is ;)

I should have time either sunday afternoon or monday afternoon to test fit everything and make sure it fits like it should. The only problem is that since I'm about to put my winter wheels on the car, I won't have enough clearance for the calipers, so unfortunately I'll have to wait until spring for the full installation! It sucks, but it is what it is. I will definitely do the test fit though and let everyone know how the fitment is. I know I have to trim down the caliper, but I dont know how much.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get bigger winter wheels. :D
+1

I seriously considered getting new snow tires for my spec-v's, but my current ones only have enough tread for 1 more season, so I'll drive the crap out of them this winter and buy new tires for next year, no big deal :D

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally did the test fit and everything came out as I expected. Our cars have the same problem as the spec-v's and 240's, the caliper doesn't quite clear our stock calipers cause they are just slightly too big, so I'm gonna have to trim it down a bit with a dremel. No worries though! The brake lines also look like they will fit fine.

Here's a video :D

Gonna have to wait to spring for the full install because my winter wheels won't clear the bigger 300zx calipers. Between now and then I will be sanding down and painting the calipers to match the wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.