Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 07 versa from an auction recently and of course the trans is not only out but it's a cvt.

I can't find a cvt trans that I can afford anywhere.. there at least $1400. What's worse is that I'm assuming the labor will be through the roof as well because you have to drop the subframe out of the vehicle in order to install yaddi yadda.

I'm trying to explore all my options and minimize the damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it conceivable at all that a cvt trans from a Sentra could be slapped in? Are there any wizard mechanics who could slap in a standard 4 spd trans and modify the ecu?

How on God's sun blanched earth can I discover any alternative other than junking the car and losing $1700 minimum. I cannot buy a $1400 trans..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check the CVT threads.........there are plenty of them and the news isn't particularly good.

Parting it out on Ebay or craigslist might be your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
If you go to a third party transmission shop they likely use a rebuilt or remanufactured. Some mom and pop shops may have cheaper labor, but you may need to supply the tranny or have they get one from a junkyard.

You bought it from an auction? Is the rest of the car ok, like new or trashed? That maybe a good investment if the car is like new and all it needs is another cvt.

Did you research the vin? You can find people on forums who will run your vin or people on ebay selling carfax reports for a few dollars.

If you go the replacement cvt Id add an external cooler and change its fluid regardless of the miles on it from its previous vehicle.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bought a 07 versa from an auction recently and of course the trans is not only out but it's a cvt.

I can't find a cvt trans that I can afford anywhere.. there at least $1400. What's worse is that I'm assuming the labor will be through the roof as well because you have to drop the subframe out of the vehicle in order to install yaddi yadda.

I'm trying to explore all my options and minimize the damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it conceivable at all that a cvt trans from a Sentra could be slapped in? Are there any wizard mechanics who could slap in a standard 4 spd trans and modify the ecu?

How on God's sun blanched earth can I discover any alternative other than junking the car and losing $1700 minimum. I cannot buy a $1400 trans..

This page gives you some tips:

Service Tips

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nissan is gonna lose buyers for good if they don't stand behind their CVT issues. My advice would be to find a Versa of your year that has been wrecked from the rear. At least then you can assume that it was on the road and running when another car hit it. An entire car is probably cheaper than a transmission that has been pulled and is ready to sell for a profit.

I'm real happy my Versa is a 5 speed stick, ya know?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Man, I abused the hell out of the cvt in my honda and it held up. When I was car shopping I didnt want to spend 18-20 grand for a honda fit or entry civic and wanted something cheaper. Sure the other guys had cars, but they were cvts too and I wanted a stick. Think the only way Id own a nissan is a stick at this point.

My local nissan dealer claims they warranty the drivetrain for life. I had eyed a small pickup truck 4 cylinder 5 speed. Had a dream the mechanic came to me in the service area with a finger of grey sludge. He said I had abused the truck and therefore voided the warranty. :surprise

·
Registered
66 Posts
"My local nissan dealer claims they warranty the drivetrain for life"

Unless you buy a super pricey special warranty, they're lying to you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
All CVTs have the same inherent design flaw and ALL are prone to failure. This is every manufacturer.
It's that stupid pusher belt.

To me, a CVT in any car is , and was a dealbreaker.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
"My local nissan dealer claims they warranty the drivetrain for life"

Unless you buy a super pricey special warranty, they're lying to you.
Would a dealer lie to a customer to get them to buy a car?!?!?!

https://www.prioritynissanrichmond.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtPYBRD6ARIsAKs1XJ6-uI-DsYdvKN5T58vIDE0z2gGxok8cpULKCTiki0O2oUMURRN1KRgaAlz1EALw_wcB

Scroll down past the customer comments and there is a silver/grey section listing the benefits of buying from them like free state inspection, oil changes, engines for life, drivetrain, etc, etc, etc. I seriously wanted a basic 5 speed frontier they advertise for 15 grand. Had a dream I brought it in for service and the mechanic had grey sludge on his finger from the oil pan and said I abused the truck, so it was not covered under the warranty. :surprise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts