Nissan Versa Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2011 Versa SL Sport. It doesn't have the NAV package but has the slot to store your IPod/IPhone above the radio/cd section and an IPOD "select" button beside the AM/FM buttons etc. (as you would all know.)

I realize that the brand new IPhone4S just came out so perhaps those with an IPhone4 can chime in. I'm in need of a new cell phone and was considering getting an IPhone4 to serve double duty - both as my resident MP3 player in the car (hooked to the IPod cable in the storage slot) and as my cell - connected via blue tooth to the Versa's b.t. system.

Problem is, I've been finding nothing but horror stories online about people who've sprung for this upgraded IPhone4 (who may have an IPhone 3 with apparently no Versa/B.T.issues) and are now having all sorts of connectivity problems with the B.T. in the 2011 Versas.

My questions are (and if we could limit the responses to those with the identical BT system in their Versa as what is in the 2011s):

(a) How many people here have an IPhone 4, and are able to use it both as an MP3 player for listening music and are seamlessly able to use it with the Versa's BT system for incoming as well as outgoing phone calls?

(b) How many people here HAVE upgraded to an IPhone4 and are running into dropouts, connectivity/pairing problems etc...issues receiving incoming calls on the BT system..when trying to use it both as an MP3 player and as your cellphone..and have you found any workarounds, firmware upgrades, bug fixes from either Nissan or Apple - specific to Nissan Versa B.T. connectivity issues?

(c) For those that haven't had any problems.... So how does it work? Do you pair it with the B.T. system first? ... and then once paired successfully, plug it into the IPOD cable and tuck it away in the storage slot? ...and it just merrily plays tunes, until a call comes in and seamlessly switches into Bluetooth mode? What's the procedure?

Seems all I'm reading and hearing is that it's an either/or situation with this phone the B.T. system in the 2011s. That is fails to re-pair when you get in the car and start it up; or that the Nissan B.T. system has problems with incoming calls, and the B.T. ringer in the call doesn't work and you can't use the car's system to answer in-coming calls. And that its just not stable...

Most of the people with these problems got so frustrated that they gave up using the MP3 player part of the IPhone in the Versa, and just use it as a straight cell phone in their car and have purchased separate IPods to fuinction solely as Mp3 players. Currently I have a 16 gig IPod that is being used as the main music source for the car. It works fine. I would have assumed that if I was to get say a 32 or a 64 gig IPhone that it wouldn't have a problem doing double duty - both as the resident MP3 player and as my cellphone in the car...but I'm having serious reservations, hence this post and throwing it out to the community here.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I just want to know before I sink the bucks into this, if I'm going to have compatibility issues between the IPhone 4's functionality, and conflicts within it's MP3 playback capabilities and it's bluetooth capabillities within the 2011 Versa BT system? Thanks for indulging me. (I couldn't find anything specifically addressing these issues anywhere else on the forum.)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I have an iPhone 3GS but with the newest iOS 5 software, and it connects to the Bluetooth function perfectly. I leave Bluetooth turned on all the time on my iPhone and the minute I turn the key it connects to my car. It works beautifully ... Definitely a neat feature.

I never use my aux plug (as I always have 6cds inside the changer instead) but it does connect fine to that as well if I want to use my iPod.

Welcome to the forums! Hope that helps somewhat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your message. Seems that everyone that has the Iphone 3G/3GS said that THAT version worked fine with no issues.

It's version 4 that I'd like to get the skinny on .. and see what the consensus is on that. Cheers.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I appreciate your message. Seems that everyone that has the Iphone 3G/3GS said that THAT version worked fine with no issues.

It's version 4 that I'd like to get the skinny on .. and see what the consensus is on that. Cheers.
No worries ... But if it's the same software, iOS 5 then it should work , or at least it should.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....so are you able to have your IPhone simultaneously connected to the IPOD cable playing MP3s AND connected to Bluetooth at the same time - and when a call comes in the phone aspect takes over, temporarily shuts down the music, and allows you to accept an incoming call on the system? (I know it works this way when you have the IPOD hooked up, and bluetooth going on a non-Iphone...but I'm wondering how well it works on a IPhone unit doing simultaneous double duty both as the MP3 player AND as a cellphone?)

(I'd still like to hear from anyone with an IPhone4 on this issue.)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
....so are you able to have your IPhone simultaneously connected to the IPOD cable playing MP3s AND connected to Bluetooth at the same time - and when a call comes in the phone aspect takes over, temporarily shuts down the music, and allows you to accept an incoming call on the system? (I know it works this way when you have the IPOD hooked up, and bluetooth going on a non-Iphone...but I'm wondering how well it works on a IPhone unit doing simultaneous double duty both as the MP3 player AND as a cellphone?)

I have an 08 with sport and tech package but no iPod hookup. If I want to play my iPod I plug it in using the auxiliary plug. I have used the phone to play music through the aux plug before (rarely do), but when I did and received a call it did cut through the radio and shut off all music.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I would imagine it would whether its an iPhone, or not. As far as the connection issue, I hope someone on here has a iphone4 to tell you about it. I would think it would be the OS to cause it, and if 5 works for Ash, I think it would work for you. However I wouldn't want you spending that kind of money on a phone and it not work. Soooooooo.. someone needs to chime in soon! lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point, I only want to hear from IPhone 4 users, who have it connected to the patch cable for the IPOD, and, are also using it for bluetooth while listening to the Ipod through the IPOD function - not the Aux.

Thanks for your understanding.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Look..... I understand your frustrated, but people here are only trying to help by giving you bits and pieces of info, and maybe you can piece them together and figure it out. Now in my opinion it's just as technology gets better, things like BT just aren't simple anymore, and it doesn't work like it should. Before I upgraded my phone to an android, my little POS connected all the time in the versa, sentra, and a pioneer headunit. The versa is gone, but the sentra and pioneer both don't always seem to connect all the time on initial startup, and the Sentra sometimes says there is no ipod connected when I connect my ipod to it. I know about 5 people who all have different new phones and they all have problems. The phone is no longer simple, and is turing into a mini computer. So to do a mini task like BT, is basically stupid for it. My buddy and his wife have brand new phones, don't know what they are, but even him and his wife say that his 2011 Ford fiesta and 2010 Ford Fusion have problems connecting to the sync system or BT. It's just in phones and it's something you may have to get used to. Hope everything works out for you, but keep this in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since no one who actually has the requisite IPhone4/4s and Nissan Versa 2010/2011 is capable of responding to the original questions posed, and instead I'm now being chastised for requesting such, Mods please delete my account thanks. Seriously, please delete it. I have no wish to be a part of forum where people cannot read and everyone's an expert on a topic they no nothing about. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
There is another local member on here, jbeau, who I believe has the iPod hook up accessory that you are speaking of. I think he might have an iPhone, just not sure which version. Try sending him a PM because he too has the bluetooth package in his car.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Since no one who actually has the requisite IPhone4/4s and Nissan Versa 2010/2011 is capable of responding to the original questions posed, and instead I'm now being chastised for requesting such, Mods please delete my account thanks. Seriously, please delete it. I have no wish to be a part of forum where people cannot read and everyone's an expert on a topic they no nothing about. Thank you.
Well I'm sorry that you feel this way, but people were trying to help you, and if you reread the posts that you made, like the second and forth one, you will see that you sounded rude and that's not nice to the people who tried to help you. Now you believe you are being chastised for asking a question, when in all honesty, its how you say things and it's what you said. If you feel this strong about leaving, I'm sure you can delete the account yourself. But I want you to understand no one chastised you for asking a question, and if you believe I'm one of those experts on a topic that I know nothing about, well I will let you belive that. I am nice to everyone and treat people the way they treat others. So thank you for listening, and enjoy the rest of your night. Oh and I'm sorry for trying to help you, even though I know nothing about this stuff.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes there are a lot of horror stories online about the new iPhone 4/4S but I would advise you to do your own experimenting and come to a conclusion based upon what happens to you and not other people because maybe you may not have issues like others have had, maybe you will, but again you can only determine that if you get an iPhone 4/4S and try it out.

Here is the setup I run in my Versa. I run an iPhone 4 without the built in Bluetooth in my system, I run it off a Motorola Bluetooth speaker that sits on my sun visor. I also plug in my iPhone 4 using my head units AUX port to play music. They both run simultaneously with no issues, if I receive a call my iPhone pauses my music and allows me to answer the incoming call, when the call is disconnected it resumes playback to where the song previously paused. No issues whatsoever and I would think this would be the exact same if I was running the built in Bluetooth in my Versa.

And i know you want to hear only from those who are connected to the USB port and also using the Versa's Bluetooth capability but it really doesn't matter. AUX port just allows you to output audio from an external device while USB not only charges your device but allows you to control song selection through your car's head unit (playing/pausing/fast forwarding/rewinding & skipping tracks) while using the AUX port you will have to do this manually from the device that's attached.

My girlfriends 09 kia rio5 has a similar setup with the Bluetooth system, USB port and AUX port. (this will make sense as really it should work the same way for the Versa) All i did was pair the phone to her car's Bluetooth and she is able to listen to music and send and receive calls. Her system works exactly the same as outlined above with how I have my iPhone and Bluetooth setup except she is not using any cables. So all she does is turn on her Bluetooth or leave it on, enter her car and it on and the iPhone automatically connects then allowing her to stream music from her iPhone and accept and disconnect calls.

The new iPhone has a lot of issues, but if you do get the new iPhone and are having a lot of problems do some of your own troubleshooting to try to narrow down the culprit. Like pairing another phone or device to your Versa's Bluetooth system and see how that works, if it cannot pair, I would say try it one more time just to rule out that it may be your Versa's Bluetooth. If it does work then i think its your iPhone 4. Or try turning your phone off and back on again, turning on and off the Bluetooth, resetting some other settings, and lastly backing up your phone restore iOS and try again, if all fails go to your local Apple Store they can run diagnostics and if it fails they will replace your phone.

I also suggest you don't come onto a forum complaining and disregarding people who actually read your post and replied honestly to help you out, and I would do some of my own research, without expecting a perfect answer or any answers at all. Other car forums out there don't even reply to posts, so I would just be happy that you even got a decent reply out of some of the members on here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.