Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any Bluetooth OBDII and app recommendations?

Some searching, and I find lots of people having trouble with the first ones they try.

I have a 2015 Versa SV and an android phone.

·
Registered
639 Posts
cant really give you much to go on, i have an iphone so my app choices are limited as far as OBD diagnostics go. Android on the other hand has a nice little app called Torque that gives you very detailed information on your car and i believe works with both wifi and bluetooth OBD II devices, if you want even more detailed information than the regular torque app can give you then you'll have to go for torque pro which costs $5 last i checked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I've tonight actually found where the OBDII plug is, I think I'm going to have to consider size, if it's something I'm going to keep plugged in. I was distracted by the dealer security plug that's more obvious right by it, that I knew was too small for OBDII.
Anyway, anything I leave plugged into the port, is going to kind of point straight towards the bottom edge of my seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just bought a bluetooth OBDII scanner on eBay for $7 shipped. They sent me a watch instead of the scanner so I am still waiting on it... :(

But like others have said, Torque seems to be the most popular with generally good reviews. Once I get mine im going to see if I can read the check engine light on my Honda and then im going to try it on the Versa just to make sure it works on everything I have, Ill report back hopefully this coming week when i get it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a bluetooth OBDII scanner on eBay for $7 shipped. They sent me a watch instead of the scanner so I am still waiting on it... :(

But like others have said, Torque seems to be the most popular with generally good reviews. Once I get mine im going to see if I can read the check engine light on my Honda and then im going to try it on the Versa just to make sure it works on everything I have, Ill report back hopefully this coming week when i get it.
I'd like to see how that goes, the ebay $7 ones I clicked on have estimated delivery dates as far out as april 24.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd like to see how that goes, the ebay $7 ones I clicked on have estimated delivery dates as far out as april 24.

I just got mine today.

I tried it on both my Honda and an 03 Elantra with no luck. My Galaxy S4 mini would find the scanner but the Apps that I downloaded would not recognize it. :(

I tried a bunch of different apps with no luck. I found the exact same product on Amazon and it had like 500+ 5 star reviews and 121 1 star reviews. Most of the 1 stars stated the unit was dead on arrival....which I am assuming is what happened with mine since it wasn't packaged all that well. It also came with a mini CD that had a bunch of pirated Apps on it like Torque Pro. I didn't install any of it because I am sure it is loaded with Chinese' finest trojans and viruses.

Ill be telling the seller I want a refund and going with a different unit. Jalopnik recommended one that was $19 a month or so ago so I am going to get that one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
So the adapter that I got would not work. It would light up but the Torque app could not find the adapter. After dealing with the morons who I bought it from I got a refund and then went ahead and bought the BAFX unit that someone else had posted. I just got that yesterday and spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to work and it would not. My phone would connect to the device but I kept getting the error, "Cannot connect to ECU" over and over and over. I uninstalled/reinstalled everything and did all sorts of troubleshooting that others have recommended and nothing worked. Junk

It seems to be pure luck if you actually get one that works. Look at all the reviews. Youll see tons of 5 stars and tons of 1 stars.

One thing I found VERY odd is that both units (different brands/sellers) came with the same virus filled mini cd with illegally downloaded paid version of software. DO NO INSTALL THIS.

I also did more research and found out that some of these units have actually disabled cars. Apparently the first company to make a bluetooth OBDII device was legitimate but they did not encrypt their software. So what happened (like usual) is that CHina got ahold of it and copied it. So ALL of the units you see for cheap are running the exact same software even if they say it is version 2.0.x.x.

Im returning this and not bothering with these junky things. I just borrowed a friends dedicated OBDII scanner and read all 4 of my codes within 30 seconds with no issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So the adapter that I got would not work. It would light up but the Torque app could not find the adapter. After dealing with the morons who I bought it from I got a refund and then went ahead and bought the BAFX unit that someone else had posted. I just got that yesterday and spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to work and it would not. My phone would connect to the device but I kept getting the error, "Cannot connect to ECU" over and over and over. I uninstalled/reinstalled everything and did all sorts of troubleshooting that others have recommended and nothing worked. Junk

It seems to be pure luck if you actually get one that works. Look at all the reviews. Youll see tons of 5 stars and tons of 1 stars.

One thing I found VERY odd is that both units (different brands/sellers) came with the same virus filled mini cd with illegally downloaded paid version of software. DO NO INSTALL THIS.

I also did more research and found out that some of these units have actually disabled cars. Apparently the first company to make a bluetooth OBDII device was legitimate but they did not encrypt their software. So what happened (like usual) is that CHina got ahold of it and copied it. So ALL of the units you see for cheap are running the exact same software even if they say it is version 2.0.x.x.

Im returning this and not bothering with these junky things. I just borrowed a friends dedicated OBDII scanner and read all 4 of my codes within 30 seconds with no issues.
Damned shame it didn't work man. I am really tempted to try the one from amazon/ebay. I think I might since it will be covered by buyer protection, only thing wasted would be time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Damned shame it didn't work man. I am really tempted to try the one from amazon/ebay. I think I might since it will be covered by buyer protection, only thing wasted would be time.
I agree. It has been a huge waste of time. I just e-mailed the seller of the most recent scanner that did not work so we will see how this goes. I just borrowed a friends $80 scanner and it pulled the codes in about 20 seconds with no issues at all - way less of a headache. If anything, save money and get the codes read from free from an auto store.

On a side note, when I tried the adapter on my wifes car, it made the speedometer needle jump up to 30MPH when I plugged it and and unplugged it. That made me very nervous and I didn't use it again after that and got a refund. There have been reports of peoples vehicles getting messed up (like failing to start) after trying these things out.

Upon further research and as stated in the manual for the BAFX one it only reads EMISSION related codes - if it works at all. So thins like ABS won't be shown and who knows if it will show something like an engine knock or a transmission solenoid going bad.

Just a heads up!

·
Registered
24 Posts

This is the one I got 2 years ago. It works with my 2015 versa, 2008 yaris and 2003 dodge ram 1500. it is the short one so I can't see it and I leave it plugged into my versa all the time since last June.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree. It has been a huge waste of time. I just e-mailed the seller of the most recent scanner that did not work so we will see how this goes. I just borrowed a friends $80 scanner and it pulled the codes in about 20 seconds with no issues at all - way less of a headache. If anything, save money and get the codes read from free from an auto store.

On a side note, when I tried the adapter on my wifes car, it made the speedometer needle jump up to 30MPH when I plugged it and and unplugged it. That made me very nervous and I didn't use it again after that and got a refund. There have been reports of peoples vehicles getting messed up (like failing to start) after trying these things out.

Upon further research and as stated in the manual for the BAFX one it only reads EMISSION related codes - if it works at all. So thins like ABS won't be shown and who knows if it will show something like an engine knock or a transmission solenoid going bad.

Just a heads up!
Thanks Versa, great info given.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on these when I decided I wanted one and ended up with this one. Amazon.com: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows: Automotive

It's much more expensive than most already listed at about $70, but as I'm getting older I find I'm tending to have more of a "better stuff instead of more stuff" mentality. The company is not a fly by night Chinese shop that back engineered other products, like a lot of the other junk I used to buy because price was all that mattered at the time. They give a 3 year warranty, unconditional 90 day money back, and support appears amazing on their website forums, so it was worth the extra cash to me.

I just got it in yesterday so I don't have more than a few minutes playing with it. It comes with an Android smartphone app & Windows PC program that is only available with their tool, but obviously other Android apps work with it, and they even try to help with 3rd party apps as well as send forum suggestions and feature requests to their software dev team.

Do keep in mind if you intend to use it on other vehicles (GM and Ford), from my understanding you would need a different model that's capable of understanding GM SW-CAN & Ford MS-CAN networks in addition to OBDII. Also, there's an Apple version that uses wifi instead of bluetooth. I'm going to stop now since I'm starting to feel like they should be paying me for a review... :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got this one, seems to work, I'm wondering what data you are able to read with it. All I seem to be getting using torque light is engine load%, intake temp, coolant temp. I'll likely get the paid version if I can reasonably expect to read more data than that with it.

Amazon.com: iSaddle Super Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Check Engine Light & CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows & Android Torque (Blue Color, Super Mini): Automotive

This is the one I got 2 years ago. It works with my 2015 versa, 2008 yaris and 2003 dodge ram 1500. it is the short one so I can't see it and I leave it plugged into my versa all the time since last June.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually, it works, I think when I first tested it, the issue was I started the app before the car, and so it ended up on the wrong protocol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Adapter arrived today and it worked with my Versa. Also tried it with my Honda. Going to try it on the Dodge this evening or tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts