Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Versa LE
Yesterday I replaced the rear drum brakes. I also decided to replace the wheel cylinders as one was leaking a bit. When I replaced them, my husband told me to bleed the brakes with the drum off. When I started that, one end of one wheel cylinder leaked brake fluid through the rubber shield. I pressed the brake pedal by hand and noticed that the other wheel cylinder was also leaking. These are aftermarket and they came from AutoZone.

What did I do wrong? I didn't mess with the cylinder. I just installed it without messing with it. Did we ruin them by bleeding them with the rotor off? Is the rotor supposed to be off? Anyway, after they leaked I tried to clean up everything, put together the wheel cylinder and after test driving the car, both wheel cylinders leaked badly.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
224 Posts
When you bleed drum brakes, yes... the drum must be installed prior to bleeding. I assume you are pumping them up with the brake pedal and opening the bleeder once pressure is felt at the pedal. The brake drum limits how far the brake shoes can expand and how far the pistons and cups can expand inside the body of the wheel cylinder.

I also adjust the self adjuster outwards just enough to hear the drum drag (slightly), almost like a light scratching sound (prior to bleeding).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts