Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I've searched for this issue on both this owner's forum and others, and have not seen a similar issue. Would like some help)
2014 Nissan Versa SV Sedan - 209,955 miles, but who's counting?

Two weeks ago, my in-dash signal indicator for my left turn signal began fast-flashing. I stopped the car and determined that the left rear (driver's side) turn signal bulb was not illuminating. Double checked it with the hazard lights, and still no light from the left side turn signal bulb.
I went to the auto parts store and bought turn signal bulbs, backup bulbs, and brake light bulbs (If I'm going to replace one, I'm going to replace all of them while I've got the taillights out).
I replaced each of these bulbs in both sides, and checked all the work once the taillights were back in place. Each bulb burned brightly on command.

About a week ago, the left turn signal indicator started fast-flashing again. I did a visual check on the bulb, and it appeared to be intact. I made plans to pull the tail light out again and double check the connections.

A day later, the RIGHT SIDE turn signal indicator started fast-flashing! I checked that bulb, and it looked good, too!

Before I pull my hair out, does anyone have any idea what would cause the failure of BOTH of these rear turn signals, each with brand new bulbs, and within 2 days of each other? Every other bulb in the car is working just as required.

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would look at the flasher. It may click and blink some lights, but it can still be bad.
The only other place I would look is the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nissan uses rather soft non-springy steel for their bulb contacts, I've cured more than one by simply rebending them closer to grasp bulb better. And more than once I've shimmed the contacts tighter with like matchbook cardboard to keep them tighter. The bulb heat makes the seet contacts relax ro back off loose.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just had an idea that would allow use of 3157 type bulbs instead of the crappy bayonet base bulbs.
Going to hit the boneyard in the next few days to check it out.
It involes using the sockets and harness from an Altima.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Look for EARLIER year models, what usually uses them, almost everything has gone to the wire bail type as they save money on the assembly line and melt taillight assemblies to sell more dealer parts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm looking at up to 2013. They changed the design for 2014.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Great. Ford went to them pretty much across the board around '90 or so. Was not sure about when Nissan did it.

I hate that later bulb type, it has to pry the socket open to snap in and then later when you go to pop it out to change the prying open action often cracks the socket into pieces. The thin wire bail has no ability to dissipate heat either, why they melt the sockets and even the sockets to the main lens. On my Fords I have to cut the lens and socket apart with a dremel cutting wheel before I can get them apart. F-cking ridiculous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts