Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new, leftover 2015 Versa SV sedan March 2016. I now have 8100 miles on it, but last summer I started hearing a hum when I reached 38 MPH. Took it into the dealer and their technician couldn't hearing anything but they noted it in their records. It got worse, so today, since I was off for MLK Day, I took it back in. They said both rear wheel bearings needed replaced. I asked why the failure in a new car and the service tech had no idea. Do you think they could have been installed incorrectly from the start? I've treated this car gently and it hasn't been wrecked.

They had to order the wheel bearings, so it will be later on this week when they're replaced.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd wait and see if replacing the rear wheel bearings really takes care of the noise, it might still be something different. The odds of two bearings being improperly installed is not good. 8100 miles... thats probably about how far a couple bearings could go if they came from the factory with no grease in them, that seems more plausible. I'd want to open up those bearings and see once they get them out what condition they are in and is there any grease in there or not. Maybe the robot that was supposed to squirt the dab of grease in there ran low just as those two bearings went by on the line... wouldn't take much I put more toothpaste on my toothbrush in the morning than they put grease in new bearings these days.

I asked my old man how he got 450,000 miles out of a cheap plymouth sedan he bought new in the late 80's while hardly ever doing a thing to it. He told me, amongst other secrets, that his bearings got a little noisy once so he drilled a hole in the top half of the metal lip/seal of the wheel bearings and used a needle attachment on the grease gun to pump it full of grease, then a dab of RTV to seal the hole he had drilled. To this day he has not replaced those bearings and the only reason the car isn't happily driving down the road right now is because the road salt of MN rusted away the uni-body in the back end.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Shouldnt that be covered under warranty?

I wonder if you got a flood car? :surprise Flood cars have all sorts of problems with moving and electrical parts early on due to the silt carried in the water and how it gets anywhere and everywhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldnt that be covered under warranty?

I wonder if you got a flood car? :surprise Flood cars have all sorts of problems with moving and electrical parts early on due to the silt carried in the water and how it gets anywhere and everywhere.
My car had only 6 miles on the odometer when I bought it. Unless they shipped it from another state, we don't have floods where I live.

Yes, it's covered under warranty. If it wasn't I'd tell them to shove the Versa up their ass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd wait and see if replacing the rear wheel bearings really takes care of the noise, it might still be something different. The odds of two bearings being improperly installed is not good. 8100 miles... thats probably about how far a couple bearings could go if they came from the factory with no grease in them, that seems more plausible. I'd want to open up those bearings and see once they get them out what condition they are in and is there any grease in there or not. Maybe the robot that was supposed to squirt the dab of grease in there ran low just as those two bearings went by on the line... wouldn't take much I put more toothpaste on my toothbrush in the morning than they put grease in new bearings these days.

I asked my old man how he got 450,000 miles out of a cheap plymouth sedan he bought new in the late 80's while hardly ever doing a thing to it. He told me, amongst other secrets, that his bearings got a little noisy once so he drilled a hole in the top half of the metal lip/seal of the wheel bearings and used a needle attachment on the grease gun to pump it full of grease, then a dab of RTV to seal the hole he had drilled. To this day he has not replaced those bearings and the only reason the car isn't happily driving down the road right now is because the road salt of MN rusted away the uni-body in the back end.
When the noise first started, I thought it was tire noise. I had the tire replaced on the right rear, still heard the noise, moved it to the front, moved the tire all around and I still heard the noise. It has got progressively worse since last summer.

·
Registered
940 Posts
They DO move flood cars commonly to other states if they flooded on new dealers' lot...............................common practice.

arudlang, your Dad and I would get along just fine, I've done stuff like that forever. I do the same with balljoints as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nissan replaced my rear wheel bearings today under warranty. They said they were "scorned". I have no idea what means and Googling it I haven't found much either.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Crap got in it and made grooves. Could be manufacture defect. I use to visit American Bearing in Hopewell, VA for parts and they show me bearings missing balls, cages that came off the line. :surprise

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same issue.

I too have a 2015 SV. The rear left bearing had to be replaced at 50,000km (31,250m), and now at 56,000km it sounds like the right has gone the same way too. Taking it in tomorrow for warranty replacement. When I asked the service advisor, at the time of the first replacement, why the bearing would fail so early, he gave me a shrug.
Sounds like substandard parts, or assembly issue.

Edit: FYI, mine is a Versa Note.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Bearings fail for several reasons. Excess load, lack of lubrication or foreign objects got in it. Thats why I said flood car to the previous poster since they happened at the same time.

Having worked with a bearing supplier, sometimes they are manufactured with defeacts. Ive seen ball bearings thats missing a ball or 2. Ive also seen them that got trash caught in the ball cage and made a ball smaller than the rest.

Usually the first sign of a bad bearing is noise around 45 mph. Then of course if you rotate it you get excess resistance or it feels gritty when you rotate it.

Now China was making parts for a lot of car manufactures and quality did slip. Ive had people tell me that happened to Honda as to why they had oil consumption issues due to ring issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing