Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the bracket under the cats serve any purpose other than to keep from hitting the cats on a rock? I had new exhaust ran and they tucked it as best they could but there's only so much room to tuck 2.5" pipe and not have it hit the heat shield. Now the pipe is rattling against the bracket underneath the cat and I am wondering if I can just remove it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
690 Posts
You talking about that crossmember held on with 4 12mm nuts? Dunno how competent the tech was but I welded up a 2.5" straight pipe for my Versa and have no issues whatsoever. There is a "stud" that holds the middle heat shield on, and that is currently rattling against my exhaust. Hard to mock it up right, hang it too low and it will vibrate/resonate through the rear brace/crossmember, too high and that stud will transmit vibrations.

Both crossmembers are structural and tie the two sides of the tunnel together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. I'll have to get under it tomorrow. It more than likely is the heatshield as at first I noticed the rattle under the shifter area. But after I put it on the ramps so I can get under it I heard the rattle front and rear. If its not the cat hitting the brace then I'll check the heat shield. I did notice a few of the clips were missing. Is it safe to remove the heat shield?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I ran without a heat shield for a bit, no issues. As long as you have continuous airflow/keep moving and don't sit idling forever I don't see a problem with doing that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Lol well i guess it's another trip to them eh? There's nothing more annoying than welding up a custom exhaust and having vibrations...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They fixed it in less than 10 minutes. And yeah, it is extremely annoying. Not nearly as bad as the exhaust on my other car though, anything over 70 and the whole car vibrates cause the exhaust is hitting the frame (El Camino with Side Pipes)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.