Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reviewing the maintenance schedule for my 2014 Note and noticed a requirement for brake fluid replacement every 20K miles or 24 months. I found this somewhat odd since I do not remember any of my previous cars having this requirement.

Is this something new for Nissan? I know that all brake fluids are naturally hydrophillic liquids and would attract water over time. Is Nissan using a drastically different brake fluid formulation (from everyone else) to require such a frequent schedule?

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears, Nissan requires regular old DOT3 brake fluid. Just like on my 2008 and 2011 Jeeps, both of which do not require any brake fluid maintenance.

Maybe Nissan was previously sued for a brake contamination issue? I would think there would be a good reason for them to do it, as this action affects Overall Cost of Ownership, which most OEMs strive to keep as low as possible.

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Nissan asked for and brake fluid change waaaaaaaaaaay earlier than 20,000 (car just turn 33,000 tonight and now just turned 15 months old), maybe they asked for the change before 15,000 but I don't remember correctly, but anyways, my question. What fluid does it use and how many quarts does it use?
For the 2014 Note, the maintenance requirement is replace the brake fluid every 20,000 miles or 2 years. The Note uses DOT3 fluid. No idea on how many quarts are needed.

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Every shop that does quality work should have brake fluid test strips. All they do is dunk the strip in the brake fluid to see how much water and copper content is in the fluid. Then it is compared to a color chart to see if it should be replaced or not.

I would ask your service person to perform this test is they can. Note, this should be a FREE test. At Firestone Complete Autocare we tested every vehicles brake fluid at no charge for pretty much any service they came in for.
Yes there is a way to check for brake fluid contamination but the maintenance manual for the 2014 Note does not have a provision for checking the brake fluid. It requires brake fluid replacement every 20k Miles or 2 yrs.

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I started this thread 7 years ago when we got our brand new 2014 Note. We still have the Note and it just turned 35K miles (yes only 5k/yr). It has been absolutely trouble free, still drives very well, just a few minor and occasional squeaks and rattles behind the instrument panel. Aside from new front pads and rotors l replaced at 34K (actually lasted quite good considering approx. 95% is city driving), all service maintenance (essentially just oil changes) were done at a local Nissan dealer. All this time I was waiting for them to remind me about the 20K/24mo brake fluid change requirement. This didn't come until my last service last week.

At 7 years and 35k miles, they finally said "needs immediate attention: Brake Fluid Flush (fluid is dirty)". Dealer price: $168.93 (wow!). Another item that "needs immediate attention: CVT Transmission Service (due every 30k)". Dealer price: $349.95

Apparently even the dealership doesn't push to get this brake fluid flush even if it is on their maintenance schedule. Easy enough to do the fluid flush myself but I may have to get the CVT service done by them eventually though. I just wonder what's involved in the CVT service to cost that much?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.