Nissan Versa Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I service all my vehicles brake fluid every 2 years with silicone DOT 3/4. Never had a brake related problem and I have piece of mind. A pint or 2 of fluid and a little time, power bleeder makes it a real easy job...

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
174 Posts
I follow the owner's manual and change the brake fluid every 20,000 miles or 24 months. It's certainly the most frequent interval I've experienced; my 2003, 2008, and 2016 Accords required brake fluid changes every 3 years regardless of mileage. It's a pain to change the brake fluid so often since I change it myself using the drip method, which takes all day but I follow the owner's manual for all general maintenance.

What's really odd is my wife's 2015 Kia Soul (and my 2000 Toyota Camry). The owner's manual for both cars do not specify any brake fluid change interval. The Soul's manual just states to have the brake fluid visually inspected every 7.500 miles or 6 months. I have called Kia corporate several times but they transfer me to a local dealer each time, and I don't trust the dealer since they're just looking to make $$$. The Camry's maintenance manual does not mention changing/replacing or even inspecting the brake fluid at all, which is even more bizarre. I could've swore the Camry's manual mentioned brake fluid change intervals but I checked it just now and it turns out it doesn't state an interval.

I find it hard to believe that the brake fluid lasts the life of the car (i.e. never needs to be replaced) so, for the Soul, I will go with the least frequent change intervals I have encountered with any of my cars, which is every 3 years based on the Accord's intervals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I follow the owner's manual and change the brake fluid every 20,000 miles or 24 months. It's certainly the most frequent interval I've experienced; my 2003, 2008, and 2016 Accords required brake fluid changes every 3 years regardless of mileage. It's a pain to change the brake fluid so often since I change it myself using the drip method, which takes all day but I follow the owner's manual for all general maintenance.

What's really odd is my wife's 2015 Kia Soul (and my 2000 Toyota Camry). The owner's manual for both cars do not specify any brake fluid change interval. The Soul's manual just states to have the brake fluid visually inspected every 7.500 miles or 6 months. I have called Kia corporate several times but they transfer me to a local dealer each time, and I don't trust the dealer since they're just looking to make $$$. The Camry's maintenance manual does not mention changing/replacing or even inspecting the brake fluid at all, which is even more bizarre. I could've swore the Camry's manual mentioned brake fluid change intervals but I checked it just now and it turns out it doesn't state an interval.

I find it hard to believe that the brake fluid lasts the life of the car (i.e. never needs to be replaced) so, for the Soul, I will go with the least frequent change intervals I have encountered with any of my cars, which is every 3 years based on the Accord's intervals.
Over the years I have bought a Tercel, a Corolla, a Camry, and am now on my second Prius, and I have never seen a recommended brake fluid change interval. When I saw them in my daughter's 2012 Versa manual, I was shocked.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I started this thread 7 years ago when we got our brand new 2014 Note. We still have the Note and it just turned 35K miles (yes only 5k/yr). It has been absolutely trouble free, still drives very well, just a few minor and occasional squeaks and rattles behind the instrument panel. Aside from new front pads and rotors l replaced at 34K (actually lasted quite good considering approx. 95% is city driving), all service maintenance (essentially just oil changes) were done at a local Nissan dealer. All this time I was waiting for them to remind me about the 20K/24mo brake fluid change requirement. This didn't come until my last service last week.

At 7 years and 35k miles, they finally said "needs immediate attention: Brake Fluid Flush (fluid is dirty)". Dealer price: $168.93 (wow!). Another item that "needs immediate attention: CVT Transmission Service (due every 30k)". Dealer price: $349.95

Apparently even the dealership doesn't push to get this brake fluid flush even if it is on their maintenance schedule. Easy enough to do the fluid flush myself but I may have to get the CVT service done by them eventually though. I just wonder what's involved in the CVT service to cost that much?

·
Registered
550 Posts
"The Dealer" is one entity. The individual service writers relay information to you from the individual technician when it comes to what services are recommended. They are not all the same, though I think they should all be on the same schedule. Maybe they forgot to recommend it, maybe they don't care, maybe...who knows.

Just follow the manual if you want to be conservative, or don't and roll the dice, and hand the problems off to someone else down the road.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
714 Posts
My previous vehicles (GM, Toyota) did not specifically define the brake fluid change interval, so it was replaced at about at least 60k miles and more then 5-7 years, when the brakes were replaced (all of them were manual transmission, so it was easier on brakes). I do not remember any problem related to such extended brake fluid change interval.
I do not think that Toyota, for example, forgot to recommend a defined brake fluid change interval, or it does not care.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm talking specifically about the people at the dealership missing the recommendation. The "dealer" is a company with individual employees who can make mistakes.

Compared to new fluid, they usually look like they could use a change at 20k anyway. You can use test strips or test the voltage of the fluid if you want to know for sure, or just spend $5-150 on changing it every year or two. My shop charges $89, which I think is reasonable compared to jacking up each corner of the car and breaking bleeders off in the driveway.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.