Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback. Has about 90,000 miles on it. For other Versa Drivers who have the 2011-2012 hatchback model. When did you get the break pads replaced?

Went to get my oil changed and the mechanics who did it said that they needed to be replaced and my car would barely pass inspection ( I live in NC and we have to get our cars inspected before tags can be renewed. Off-topic though )

Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
You have done quite well on the brakes. Most people have to replace the front brakes at 60 to 70 thousand miles, rears about where you are now. To be on the safe side I would replace the front rotors when you do the brake job. On the side note I live in NC and have never had anyone check my brakes during an inspection - tire tread is as close as it gets.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I had the Midas muffler dealer look at the glass on my fog lamps for the SAE or DOT approved stamping. :surprise

Brakes depends on how you use them. I notice the brakes are rather sharpe on this vs other cars I have owned, but with engine off and no vacuum it takes a lot of effort. Shows the brake booster maybe a bit large for the vehicle.

Normally I go with ceramic pads and slotted cross drilled rotors, but Ill keep the oem stuff on this one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
90K is good for brakes. I usually average 40-50K for fronts on my vehicles(stop and go Chicago traffic). Rears are needed now at 87K.

Do you plan on doing the job yourself?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Fronts are easy, drums sometimes you need to buy a new hardware kit too that contains the springs and other clips and stuff.

Unfortunately when I have done drum brakes neither rear drum looks the same. Either its missing a spring, different springs in different locations, broken springs, etc. Its best to jack up both sides so you can use one to check the other and take a photo and look at the photo in the package. Second get 2 cans of brake parts cleaner and some black paint to paint rusted metal. After you remove the drum hose the thing parts and all down and let it drip dry. Good time to clean the drum inside and out then paint the drum outside black.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I do what I can to save money. I have free oil changes for life, state inspections and powertrain warranty. They charge 25 bucks to rotate tires. I did the air filters as both were 25 bucks to buy, the dealer wants 85 each to replace.

Brakes are an easy job, but I like to see how they wear and on most cars upgrade them for better stopping power. My past 2 hondas I thought the brakes were weak. So for them I went with cross drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads.

My sidekick had weak brakes and although I had replaced the front with the above it was still weak. I had checked the rear, but never really studied the hardware layout of springs, clips, etc. So just went to replace it all once I found everything. Thats when I found a different spring on each side was just missing, but between them figured out where it went from the rest.

Now the brakes feel way better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing