Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Note with 7,000 miles and I am starting to get some serious brake squeal and squeak. The dealer says nothing is wrong with my front brake pads. I cannot stand the racket! So I am thinking of replacing or upgrading my front brake pads. Has anyone had any experience with metallic or ceramic front brake pads? I am considering Akebono Proact Ceramic Pads from TireRack.com for $60.00. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on their experience with upgrading the front brake pads on a late Versa or Note. Thank you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
They just need lube.. factory doesn't apply any lubricant to the clip sliding surface. I would just take the caliper and pads off and put some lube on the clips yourself, also put some on the "ears" of the caliper, they are the ear shaped protrusions to the opposite side of the piston that clamp the outer pad.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
^^ excellent post and that is exactly what I would do.

Also they make a grease or silicone that you apply to the pad back where the piston makes contact. I usually to that as well.

No way would I buy new parts at 7k miles. My stock pads lasted me years and well over 100k miles of driving. Then again I do alot of highway so not much braking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
brake pads

If you decide to go with new pads, I've had the best luck with Wagner Thermoquiet pads.
Caliper grease on slides also important as mentioned above.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ceramics are the way to go. I've never had issues with them. They're quiter, and less dusting, while delivering the same performance as semi-metallic pads. The only catch is that they're more expensive. And definitely lube all metal contact points. I use a silicone grease or anti-seize lube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
OneNutShort
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing