Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 46k miles on my 2010 Versa HB. I had my tires rotated last week and asked the mechanic to check the brake pads. He showed me the front brakes were down to about 20 percent and the back brakes were down to 40 percent. They have a brake pad special deal going until the end of October. Anyway, I said I would probably replace all 4 pads the next oil change in October. How far down can they go before replacing? I thought they make a noise when they are too worn. Should I replace all 4 at the same time? The special seems like a good deal, but I need to ask what type of pads they are and what do others recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are correct the brake pads have wear indicators on them (commonly called squeelers) which will make a racket when your pads get down to ~ 1/32 of pad. I'd be careful of these "chain" brake places as they onl;y make money when you replace pads, and they usually find something else to change at the same time.

When a mechanic says 20% or 40% I always question them since how do they know what you started out with, every car has a different new thickness of pad. and a brand new versa pad is 1/2 the thickness of say a Chevrolet Impala Police package.

the important measurement is the thickness of the pad in 1/32 of an inch. typical replacement is recommended at 2/32 (1/16") of pad material. measured on the thinner of the two pads on a given wheel..

If your metric 1/16 is just under 2mm (so it's pretty small) and the squealer is set to make noise at around 1mm. (I know the younger guys at work are not taught fractional measurement so it's 0.0625")

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally always use Hawk or EBC pads on my cars. Yes they can be noisier than your average Autozone Special, but I like the comfort of knowing that my pads will be there when I need them most. Also, my wife has over 75k miles on the original pads and shoes, you might want to check the pads yourself or check with another mechanic before buying new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I have 130k on my original pads. They are due for a change. Not squealing yet but a quick look behind my rim shows me that I am almost down to the backing on the pad. I myself will be going with Akebono Ceramic pads. Not your cheapest pad but good reviews.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.