Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rented a new Versa (1800 miles) from Enterprise car rentals. I found when I pulled up to a stop sign or stopped in a line of traffic, the car would stop completely and then creep forward. The best I can describe it is as follows: I bring the car to a complete stop. Within a couple of seconds I could feel the brakes "soften" or change and then the car would creep forward. I would push harder on the brakes and stop the car a second time. Sometimes the brakes would soften a second time and the car would creep forward again. I had to remain very alert while stopped concerned the car would creep forward and hit the vehicle in front of me.

The brake pedal was very close to the floorboard when fully depressed. If I pumped the brake I got a fairly solid pedal and no brake creep.

I told Enterprise about the brakes. The Enterprise mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the brakes and creeping was characteristic of Nissan. I've owned Nissans for over 30 years and I've never had this problem with my Nissans. I don't think the mechanic is right. Cars should not creep forward while the brake is applied.

I was surprised that Enterprise rerented the car without a more thorough diagnostics check.

My question: Is there a problem with the brakes or is there something else going on? I'm quite sure I wasn't imagining the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I've seen nissans and other cars creep when stopped but only automatics of course and it was a tranny issue. Ironically my exwifes car was just doing this the other day and sure enough a few days later she told me her transmission is shot.

But if the pedal gets soft it's not holding pressure. There is something wrong with the hydraulics. Whether it be air in the line, hole in the line, bad MC or something. Could be a bleeder valve not closed all the way. It's not normal and not common on Versa's that is for sure.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Seeing as how its a rental, I wouldn't worry to much, if it bothers you just put it in N when you come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ive noticed this in my '13 versa. but after a few days its seemed to have gone away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.