Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Note SV, with CVT

I know there is a thread on this somewhere but I can't find it.

My brakes tend to grab when applied. Did someone find a spring that would return the discs and keep them away from the rotors?

Thanks

Alan

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Thats a good thing. :grin

Napa makes some brake drag reduction springs. I dont think they listed the versa, but we assumed the sentra may work.

Now, a frozen calibrator (SP?) can also cause the brakes to drag.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Lemmingworld.............sigh

Discs and rotors are the SAME THING. AND, you don't 'return' either one of them, the PAD backs off. The disc or rotor is positively bolted to the rest of the spinning assembly (hub, axle) there. It ain't going nowhere.

The caliper piston seal is what backs off to let the pad move away from the disc. Unless the caliper is dragging at the pins..................

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K.

So is there a spring that will keep the "PADS" away from the rotor when you are not pressing on the brake pedal? If I'm correct they just 'float' so there is some contact even when the pedal is not depressed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If nissan didn't send your car out the factory doors with these magic springs, I doubt they are what you need to fix the problem. If your brakes are not working as intended I'd say they need to be repaired back to their OEM working order, before dithering with add-on aftermarket springs/parts.

·
Registered
674 Posts
2016 Note SV, with CVT

I know there is a thread on this somewhere but I can't find it.

My brakes tend to grab when applied. Did someone find a spring that would return the discs and keep them away from the rotors?

Thanks

Alan
If your car is still under warranty, bring it back and have it checked. As amc49 stated, the piston seal is what moves the pads away from the disk ever so slightly. When you say that your brakes tend to "grab", in what way??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When you press on the brake it works fine and stops the car....but you can feel the brake still slightly holding the car after you release the brakes (take your foot off the brake pedal). This 'brake' pressure lasts for several seconds or maybe 10 to 20 feet of driving.

·
Registered
674 Posts
When you press on the brake it works fine and stops the car....but you can feel the brake still slightly holding the car after you release the brakes (take your foot off the brake pedal). This 'brake' pressure lasts for several seconds or maybe 10 to 20 feet of driving.
If your car is under warranty bring it back to the dealer. If it is out of warranty, you should bring it to a competent mechanic so it can be diagnosed properly. The last thing you want to be doing is second guessing whether your brakes are working properly. Good luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Dont know about the versa but my honda insight had a LINE LOCK in the brakes. If you pressed the brakes on a hill and came to a stop the car would sit there if you lift off the brakes til you tap the gas. COuld be an issue with the brake box that handles traction control, skid control, abs, etc.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Post #7 problem is typically lack of maintenance on brake system, slightly sticking caliper piston or rear drum stuff not releasing 100% until the brake assembly gets loaded by car moving to pop it loose.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Back in the day we use to grind down the leading edge of the shoes so they would not catch like that. Now days the parking brake is a mixed blessing. Sure it can keep your car from rolling when its not needed, but it can also freeze to keep your car from moving. My sidekick says not to use the parking brake below zero so I park it in gear with chucks on a wheel when we get the frozen stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing