Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took the wheels of of the V and did a good brake cleaning. Front and rear disks and drums got a nice bath in some brake cleaner, and now I don't seem to get as much power out of them. All weekend I've felt that the brakes just aren't stopping the car. There's 30,000 miles on the car and no, they pads aren't low. Would it help if I got new pads/rotors?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
never heard of anyone cleaning the brakes. I know there is brake parts cleaner but only time I use it or see it used is when your taking the brakes apart and servicing them.

Not sure how it would make you have less stopping power.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Could they be glazed over from being over heated I had that once on my dakota and the braking wasn't as good. When you looked at them were the pads really shiny or was the rotors discolored?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Have you checked your brake fluid levels? It's kind of tricky to do (hopper is in there at a weird angle behind some stuff). Mine have been feeling a little sluggish for awhile too and I checked the fluid levels and they're right on min (and very dark, which is what happens with old brake fluid.) I will probably have that replaced soon.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The calipers and rotors looked normal, and I haven't checked the brake fluid because I couldn't find it yesterday when I looked for the dipstick. Can anyone explain to me where it is exactly or post up some pictures so I can see it?? Please & thank you! That was the first thing I thought of but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
On the fire wall behind the battery left side it a white reservoir. I can post a pic if you want.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should be able to find it now that I know the general location. Thanks! I'll check it later today and report my findings

·
Registered
187 Posts
Last week I took the wheels of of the V and did a good brake cleaning. Front and rear disks and drums got a nice bath in some brake cleaner, and now I don't seem to get as much power out of them. All weekend I've felt that the brakes just aren't stopping the car. There's 30,000 miles on the car and no, they pads aren't low. Would it help if I got new pads/rotors?
Might try this to try and isolate the problem...when your in a safe area try this...instead of hitting the brake pedal pull up on the hand brake and see if there is any difference...just a thought.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brake fluid is at max, so thats not the issue. Maybe Im just imagining things.. How can I improve the braking power of the car? I always feel like I'm about to slide into someone. And I will try your suggestion versa speed and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does your versa have ABS? (I know mine doesn't..)

Also, I mean, if you feel like you're going to hit someone it means you're driving too fast and not looking far enough up the road and anticipating what you're doing. Non-ABS versa stops from 60MPH in ~152 feet. Not great, but certainly manageable, especially when you're not going 60.

You might also just not be used to the pedal? In the other Nissan I used to drive 80% of the braking ability was in the second 50% of the pedal depression, which I actually kind of like. Versa was a bit more sensitive, but not anymore...but I know for a fact I need my brakes flushed (low, dark fluid.) Hopefully taking care of that this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Low fluid means leak or pad's and shoe's worn. You are not suppose to top off brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
upgrade your pads, maybe...i love my hawk pads
Im thinking about doing this but really wanted to wait until spring to do it. Is there a big difference between the hawk pads and the stock ones?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Brake fluid is at max, so thats not the issue. Maybe Im just imagining things.. How can I improve the braking power of the car? I always feel like I'm about to slide into someone. And I will try your suggestion versa speed and see what happens. Thanks everyone!
Take off your front brake pads and see if they are glazed over. If they are and or your not sure if they are glazed over do a light sanding with some emery cloth or some sand paper but not too course of a grit. At the same time use brake cleaner to spray on your rotors to clean them off if you have any debri or grease on the rotors. I would then do the same with the back drums and shoes. Pull the drums off and do a light sanding on the shoes and spray off the drums. When you put the drums back on check to see if they need adjustment. If so i would adjust them as well. I would try bleeding the brakes just to make sure you don't have any air in the system, then top off the brake resivoir. Good luck. Let us know what you did.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Low fluid means leak or pad's and shoe's worn. You are not suppose to top off brake fluid.
If it's dark you're supposed to replace it. Gonna just take it to the shop and have em check the brakes out, see if I need new pads, etc, and if I do, replace em and flush the brakes (probably cause again, fluid is kind of dark.)

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
If it's dark you're supposed to replace it. Gonna just take it to the shop and have em check the brakes out, see if I need new pads, etc, and if I do, replace em and flush the brakes (probably cause again, fluid is kind of dark.)
the recommended interval for replacing brake fluid per nissan is every 15k miles. This is just crazy if you ask me. I'm not even sure how you are having dark fluid at all. I have 80k miles on my car and I'm on the original factory fluid and it's nice and clean still. I most likely won't replace it until I need to do the clutch.

·
Registered
377 Posts
the recommended interval for replacing brake fluid per nissan is every 15k miles. This is just crazy if you ask me. I'm not even sure how you are having dark fluid at all. I have 80k miles on my car and I'm on the original factory fluid and it's nice and clean still. I most likely won't replace it until I need to do the clutch.
At 36k miles. I'm going to have the shop look at the brakes, if the fluid levels come back up after pad change, etc, and it doesn't look so dark it's probably fine. Also maybe change the oil/add oil (dipstick was at about half for some reason...but I read it pretty quickly so not totally sure.) Things just haven't felt quite right lately.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the wheels off today and the pads are glazed.. what do you guys recommend for replacement pads? I was thinking of going with the hawk performance pads because i have heard good things about them. Any other suggestions?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.