Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 versa hatch, while driving the other day the brake pedal went to the floor. i have pressure when the car is off but when its on it goes to the metal. No recent brake work has been done so we thought maybe the fluid was low. The fluid is full. i have an appointment with meineke tomorrow , but want to make sure i know what to look for. I was told it could be the master brake cylinder or maybe air in the line. does anyone have any ideas where to look ? it just happened so suddenly that it confuses me .

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
287 Posts
I'm leaning towards a brake master cylinder failure. If a brake line had broke you would have lost fluid, moreover you would have just lost rear brakes or just front brakes, as all brake cylinders (after 1966) are dual master cylinders.

When the engine is off, you don't have the assist of the brake booster which is operated by vacuum created by the engine. So the brake pedal will seem harder to push down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning towards a brake master cylinder failure. If a brake line had broke you would have lost fluid, moreover you would have just lost rear brakes or just front brakes, as all brake cylinders (after 1966) are dual master cylinders.

When the engine is off, you don't have the assist of the brake booster which is operated by vacuum created by the engine. So the brake pedal will seem harder to push down.
Thank you. Yea its weird i dont see any leaks around the wheels or anything and the fact it happend so suddenly had me worried. Luckily its a manual so i can down shift to slow down , I have to drive it about half a mile to the shop. so a bit worried about that but what can you do? lol Thank you again.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My thoughts are Master Cylinder as well.
BUT
I would also suspect the rubber brake hoses as well. One mode of failure with the hoses is that they will expand like a balloon and not deliver fluid to the caliper/wheel cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thoughts are Master Cylinder as well.
BUT
I would also suspect the rubber brake hoses as well. One mode of failure with the hoses is that they will expand like a balloon and not deliver fluid to the caliper/wheel cylinder.
Thank you. as long as i can get it to the shop a mile away hopefully they will find and ix it. Anything not crucial ill fix myself lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts