Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brand new car - squeaky brake pedal, klunk, odd steering

So, our brand new 2012 Versa Hatchback is now making an squeaking noise when the brake pedal is depressed, and there is also an audible noise when turning the steering wheel (not a squeak, more like a friction sound, like plastic is rubbing together or something). And there's a strange thunk that I can feel in the pedals when the car is cold and it's been running for maybe a minute or two. It sounds almost like a "boing" noise, but I can feel the vibration of it in the pedal. The thunk happens just one time. All of these things seem worse when the car is cold, except for the squeaky brake pedal which seems fairly consistent.

I was soooo excited about getting this car, but I'm starting to dread getting in it. Any ideas about what it could be?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
So, our brand new 2012 Versa Hatchback is now making an squeaking noise when the brake pedal is depressed, and there is also an audible noise when turning the steering wheel (not a squeak, more like a friction sound, like plastic is rubbing together or something). And there's a strange thunk that I can feel in the pedals when the car is cold and it's been running for maybe a minute or two. It sounds almost like a "boing" noise, but I can feel the vibration of it in the pedal. The thunk happens just one time. All of these things seem worse when the car is cold, except for the squeaky brake pedal which seems fairly consistent.

I was soooo excited about getting this car, but I'm starting to dread getting in it. Any ideas about what it could be?
The steering wheel noise I get and is just the oddity of the electric power steering. If yours is really loud then maybe something is rubbing. My pedals are also squeaky. Especially my clutch. Maybe some grease on the friction points will helps this. The boing and thunk are well documented on the forums. I remember seeing plenty of threads on them. I believe there was an issue with the steering shaft. Only thing I hear/feel is the abs system check when I first start to drive.

It's a new car so no matter what I would be bringing it in to the dealer to be checked.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
You can look into technical service bulletin ntb09-0127 for any steering related clunks. But if it's a single clunk and happens just after driving forward that is the abs diagnostics check and is normal. Also for the "boing" now that I think of it I get that too and if yours is like mine then it's the AC compressor engaging. Next time you drive keep the hvac controls set to off and see if it still does it. Remember the AC compressor runs even if the AC light isn't illuminated when you set the dial to defrost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.