Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only my second post on this forum, so I don't know if this problem has cropped up before.

Our 2007 Versa has 90K km on the odometer. A couple of months ago we were driving through town, on a paved road at normal road speed, 50kph. Suddenly, we heard a helluva clang from the front left side of the car, as if we had run over a piece of metal. I stopped the car and picked up a circular piece of coil spring.

I silently cursed some idiot for leaving a piece of metal in the road.

Thought nothing of it and continued driving.

Yesterday, I took the Versa in to a local brake shop for new front rotors. As the mechanic took off both front wheels, he called me over and said we had a serious problem. Both coil springs had snapped and broken and in almost the exact same location on the bottom coil.

One broken piece on the right hand side coil was sticking out, and it looked identical to the one that I picked up a couple of months ago in the road, when I thought it was somebody else's problem. The left coil was missing this piece.

The mechanic and I looked at the broken piece and it definitely looks to be metal fatigue where it snapped off.

The mechanic phoned the local Nissan dealer and I spoke with their Parts Manager. He said he had never heard of a coil spring snapping, and as the Versa was now past the warranty stage, they were not accepting any responsibility.

Now I'm left with a substantial repair bill for two new front coil springs.

Anybody else have this problem with broken front coil springs?

This is obviously a defect in the metal being used in the Versa coil springs.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Drive safe.

_________
Didiki

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I pulled out of the driveway and heard a large sound. I was scared actually and figured I just hit something. Now I am wondering if my coils has broken. It drives perfectly fine but you never know. Can you please post a pic of where it's broken so I can compare it to mine.

edit : I just went out and looked my springs over. Everything seems fine and in order. But I would still like pics if you can.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Crap, I'm almost at 41,000. Hopefully this wont happen to me in the next 10-15,000. Good luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You could always try to get some off ppl who have lowered their V.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Too bad, I wish I kept mine (1000 miles) I tossed them out. If I knew they broke often, I would of kept them. .. I could not give them away at the time.

You can always get a set of lowering springs, for I am sure less than the stealership. I have seen them for ~200 for all 4 corners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I'll be taking in the Versa next Tuesday for new springs. I'll post pictures and let you know what it cost me for two new springs.

I've purchased many cars over the years and this is the first car I've ever had where the springs broke, with normal city and country driving and always on paved roads. This is actually my wifes car and she is a very careful driver.

To me, this is a defect in the car which should be addressed by Nissan. They are selling defective cars.

What kind of pissed me off was that they really didn't want to know about this problem.

_________
Didiki

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the Versa in for new coil springs.

Here is the total bill. It's in Cdn$ which is now on par with US$.

2 Coil Springs @ $187.76 each...................... $375.52
Labour: 2.5 hours at $89.50/hr.................... $223.75
Shop Supplies:........................................... $ 16.95

Total:............... $616.22

Minus 10% for Senior Citizen discount:........... -$ 61.62

Total:............... $554.60

Add: 12% HST (Harmonized Sales Tax)......... $ 66.55

Total Bill came to:..................................... $621.15

Some photos of the broken front left and right coil springs.

They both broke in almost the identical locations at the bottom of the spring.

Snapped off portion of the coil spring.

Broken spring on left with new spring.

I would suggest that when you take in your Versa for maintenance, have the mechanic pull the front tires and do a good inspection of the Springs. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else.

Drive safe.

______
Didiki

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Thanks for the update with pics! That is crazy how it broke like that. Rusted right away it seems. I will be keeping a close eye on mine and be sure I clean that area thoroughly when I wash the the car.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Wow, sucks to see this!
Did you have to take it to Nissan to repair? Are there any trustworthy mechanics over there that would have done it for a cheaper price? Did you have the 'rust inhibitor' added to the vehicle before delivery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. However, let me clear up a few points.

The break was metal fatigue, and not rust. Three mechanics who looked at the breaks all said the same thing that they snapped off due to metal fatigue.

I live on central Vancouver Island in a rain forest environment. We very seldom get snow here, lots and lots of rain, and almost never get the roads sanded or salted. Rust has very seldom been a problem in cars. So we can rule out rust. The rust in the pictures was only superficial.

Didn't take it into the local Nissan dealer as they charge $125/hour for labour and shop costs. and with no seniors discount.

Rustproof undercoating was put on at the dealer when we bought the car.

Anyway, its fixed now, but its a helluva lesson. I doubt if we will keep the Versa for more than another 2 years.

Ride safe

________
Didiki

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rust was most likely the cause of the failure. I have seen this happen on the torsion bars, and leaf springs that my truck has. The rust might look like it is surface rust, but it enough to cause the area to become weak. It looks like that it broke right where the spring comes in contact with the perch. This is where the force on the spring is the highest.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Its definitely rust, whoever those mechanics were just said metal fatigue and convinced you to pay them to fix it. Theyre mechanics, just out to take your money. Doesn't look like you rustproofed regularly, like each year. Sure it got rust proofed from the first day, but doesn't keep it rust free after all that mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
08 Coil Break

I had the exact same thing happen this past week. My friends and I got in the car, and we heard a snap. When I reversed, the car was fine. However, as soon as it was put into drive, the broken coil sliced through my front tire.

While I love my Versa, I am not a happy camper at all. The warranty has expired, and my insurance won't let us file a claim. It's going to cost me about $800 to repair. You may want to try contacting the Nissan HQ where you live. I tried calling, but the guy hung up on me so I sent them an email and am going to Tweet about it. It may get me nowhere, but I am trying to see if I can get something accomplished because every service department told me the transmission would go out before the coil would snap.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
you have any pics of yours? This is just crazy!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jeez, this is getting borderline ridiculous. I've got my old springs if anyone needs them..Less than 1500 miles on them. I don't know anyone who could take a hit of $800 for some springs and not feel it in the pocket. Let me know if I can help someone.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.