Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 versa hatchback that I recently purchased (2000 miles ago) from a used car dealer. It's ran perfect with no issues until yesterday.

I had just got home from a 30 mile drive and when I opened the door I instantly smelled burning rubber.
Then I saw white smoke coming from under the hood.
I thought it was overheating but there was no overheating/check engine lights, and when I opened the hood the coolent level was at the max line.

It seemed like the white smoke was coming from the main serpentine belt on the left side of the engine. The smoke smelled like burning rubber and on the roller connected to the A/C compressor around the belt looked like it was bubbling. But when I inspected the belt it looked fine...
Around the roller connected to the A/C compressor it looks like it slung a line of black gooey stuff on the belly pan.

Thats all I can see that looks out of the ordinary.

I didn't start the car yet this morning, but I need to know what to check to find out what the issue is.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
remove the belt then make sure the AC pulley spins freely. After that check your harmonic balancer for play. I think there is a tensioner pulley on these cars too. Also that and make sure there isn't play and it spins freely. Also check the pressure in your AC. It may have a leak if your seeing wetness around there. Which might have cause your compressor to seize up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thank you very much for your help. After taking the belt off and checking I found that the compressor would still turn over, but it was hard and gritty and the clutch on the compressor was smoked. I purchased a new one for $300, paid a local shop $150 to put it on and rechage the system and it's working like a champ!

No more problems and the a/c is nice and cold.

Thank you for your responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.