Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 versa. I think its a base model. It has a bad cvt. Owner is willing to sell to me for scrap value. $250?

Aside from the bad trans the car is pretty good shape (8/10)

About 150k on the clock.

VIN: 3N1BC1CP6BL367654

I have never worked on a Nissan of any kind and know absolutely nothing about them.

However I am extremely capable when it comes to automotive work and am well equipped to handle almost any repair.

From what quick research I've done it seems these versas came with a bunch of different transmissions, but none seem to be easily swapped.

Is this car worth buying? What are my options when it comes to replacing the trans? Just how big of a PITA is it going to be?

Would it be worth a couple hundred bucks to buy it and what should I expect to spend on a used trans?

Thanks very much.

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
366 Posts
I don't think I would put the money into another a transmission for it, but I would buy it for $250 and part it out. I'm sure you could make your money back and more, selling parts of it on ebay.

... Or find a wrecked Versa with a good trans and take the two cars and make into one good one.

· Registered
748 Posts
Well, how much would be a replacement CVT, new or used? $3-4k? So you are looking at a seemingly decent, 13 years old used car with unknown history and 150k mileage for about $4k (plus all your labor), give or take. This is contingent on everything goes smoothly while swapping the tranny, and no other major problems are discovered down the road.
I think only you can decide if it worth it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems odd such an undesirable transmission would command such a high price.

Are there no other options for a transmission that will drop in other than another CVT?

From my research there seems to be about 8 other options this model year versa could have come with.

From what I have read so far the manual transmissions are pretty difficult to swap.

· Registered
827 Posts
If it is a CVT, I really wouldn't bother. Even from an auto wrecker, a tested one with a short warranty(90 days max) will run you $1000 still.

No other transmissions will go in without a major re-wiring of almost the whole car.

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
366 Posts
The guy at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics (youtube) replaced the CVT Transmission in his wife's Nissan Rogue. He also tore down the old CVT. It is a multi-part series and informative (if you are interested).

If you are looking for opinions, I say try to find a manual transmission Versa.

I do think the CVT Versa is a good parts car for $250. How are the body panels, doors, glass, etc. If you are handy, part it out and make yourself some money!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. After much consideration I told the owner I am going to pass on the offer. I also passed along the wisdom regarding the cvt transmissions.

I can't believe a bad transmission is enough to condemn an otherwise solid car to the scrap heap, but with how you guys describe it I can understand why.

Thanks again

· Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. After much consideration I told the owner I am going to pass on the offer. I also passed along the wisdom regarding the cvt transmissions.

I can't believe a bad transmission is enough to condemn an otherwise solid car to the scrap heap, but with how you guys describe it I can understand why.

Thanks again
im the same..use my 2016 versa cvt 60 miles a day commuting to work on open hwy...180,000 miles so far...considering trying to buy a new replacement unit if mine dies..but i hear its pretty much impossible to get one..shame to scrap the car just for that..i take care of the cvt and drive like a grandpa..most everyone races stoplight to stoplight and run their cars hard..just take it easy and it may last.. hoping 2 more yrs...250,000 before it dies...maybe it wont die:D we will see..

· Super Moderator
442 Posts

Thanks again
I think you were wise to pass on it.

The only way it might be worth while IMO, is if you had a lead on good used replacement CVT ahead of time.

Even with that, with the exhaust come apart w/out costing more money? Same with everything else that has to be disturbed in the process. Unless this car never saw winter/road salt, they are throw away cars beyond 10yrs or so.

· Registered
340 Posts
You are a lucky exception.
This Versa was originally my Mom's and I maintained it for seven years until her death. She called it her "favorite car" after driving nothing but Honda Civics for decades. So, yes, it was driven by a little old lady for years, but since I inherited it, it's been a workhorse. With Michelin X-Ice radials, and Mobil 1 0-40W oil changes, it's a winter beast. The worst bit of maintenance has been the fuel pumps that had to be changed out twice last year.

It seems that the better a job of maintenance I do, the luckier I get.

· Registered
556 Posts

Thanks again
you did the right thing.
I would have done it for 250$ and an A/T transmission replacement.

· Registered
556 Posts
This Versa was originally my Mom's and I maintained it for seven years until her death. She called it her "favorite car" after driving nothing but Honda Civics for decades. So, yes, it was driven by a little old lady for years, but since I inherited it, it's been a workhorse. With Michelin X-Ice radials, and Mobil 1 0-40W oil changes, it's a winter beast. The worst bit of maintenance has been the fuel pumps that had to be changed out twice last year.

It seems that the better a job of maintenance I do, the luckier I get.
I follow the same philosophy: maintain it well, don't abuse it, and it will last.

· Super Moderator
442 Posts
Throwaway cars? I beg to differ. My '07 Versa SL HB is still going strong after almost 16 Colorado winters. CVT has had one fluid change, and shows no mechanical or corrosion problems.
CO must use very different "salt" on the roads then is used in the Buffalo NY area. A versa older than 10yrs is a rarity. 16yrs is non-existent in my area. I've been treating the underside as well as all the nooks and crannies I can get at on my 2015 with fluid film and woolwax yearly, with touch ups more often than that. I still can't keep up with areas that are rusting under the car. All the top side sheet metal is OK. At ~70K miles our 2015 is going on it's THIRD cat-back exhaust system. The only non-routine item I've had to replace at this point was a rusted out transmission cooler line that ruptured and I replaced it with rubber hose. There are many hose clamps that are about rusted away elsewhere that I have to address yet. Other than that, it's been solid mechanically.

I dread rear brake replacement because the rear wheel bearings and lug studs are pressed into the drums on this vintage and will likely all need to be replaced all at once ($$$$). There is a lot of expensive crap like this is going to sneak up on me now that the vehicle is 8yrs/old.

These are cheap cars built to a price point as you'd expect. If you live in a climate that doesn't have winter conditions and the corrosive crap that goes along with that, they'll last a lot longer.

· Registered
340 Posts
Car Snow Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Sorry to take this thread OT, but here's the kind of snow we get here in Colorado. And yes, the climate difference affects the type of junk they put on the roads. Our dry climate means the snow comes in so cold that salt doesn't help the melting much. CDOT uses a mix of chemicals and sand that help without destroying cars! I'm thankful for that.

BTW- the snow blends with that fresh powder white paint to give some interesting styling changes, don't you think? I kinda like the hatch smoothed out!

· Registered
340 Posts
Send some of that snow here to Dallas please. Hell I'd even settle for cold temps. Way too warm this Winter.
Oooh- be careful what you wish for! The cold here has been unrelenting for the past few weeks, with highs just at freezing and nightime temps in the teens. Plus, there's a cold front (with snow, rain and ice) coming through every few days. Enjoy the warmth down south!

So glad my Versa has snow tires as the snow packs down on the roads and freezes overnight...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts