Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I start my 2015 Versa Note, I notice a very short but loud buzzing or grinding sound. The sound only lasts about one second and the car is in park. It’s as predictable as: start car, display lights come on and go away, and then the short buzz. I’ve only managed to put around 5,000 miles on the car and the buzz happens somewhat regularly.

Does anyone have any idea what the sound could be? I thought it might be the ABS testing itself, but it seems too loud. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After more research, I think it might be related to the air conditioner. If I leave the AC turned on when I start the car, the short grinding noise happens loudly. If I leave the AC off when I start the car and then turn on the AC later, the noise is much more subtle or nonexistent.

Since I'm not accustomed to having a newer car, I'm unsure of whether it's normal or something to take to the dealership for service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2013 Versa Sedan and if I leave the A/C on when I shut my car off and then start it with it left on, my car makes all different kinds of different noises. They are all short’ish lengths of noises and is the AC compressor kicking in. It annoyed me at first and although I’ve gotten used to it, it makes me wonder if/when my AC will konk out on me.

When my car was new, I took it the delearship because whenever my AC compressor would kick in and off while stopped at a light, the car would try to lurch forward a little…Kind of like I got bumped by the car behind me. They told me this was normal because of the drain an AC compressor has on an engine especially on a smaller engine that is a CVT. Still don’t think it’s normal, but I decided to just live with it. If your car is under warranty, why not take it to the dealer to see what they say. Worse case scenario, they tell you it’s normal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2016 Versa S sedan and I posted about this a few months ago. It's the A/C compressor kicking on. It only does it when the car is started and the A/C is turned on. Or in your case if the A/C is already set to on when you start the car. I posted about it thinking my compressor had already gone bad. The responses I got in this forum was that the grinding noise is normal. It only happens for about a second. Sometimes it sounds worse and other times it's not real loud. The grinding noise does not happen during regular compressor cycles. Only when the car is first started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
ram1220
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing