Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a manual S Sedan 2017. what are your manual driving tendancies? trying to be most effecient with my car.

i tend to drive in gear.

i try not to ride the clutch much.. except for while on a hill, i hold clutch in first gear.

i shift slow, and wait until RPM drops to 2K...

its a pain in the ass to drive manual everyday 150miles a day.

might trade in car next year....:surprise

·
Registered
216 Posts
I love my 2016 S sedan 5 speed. The shifter is not as nice as the 2011 Honda I used to have but it gets the job done. The clutch is nothing special but it does what I need it to do and all in all I think its a very easy to drive, forgiving car. Good one for teaching people how to drive stick really with the low gearing and somewhat spongy but lurch-resistant clutch.

I prefer to do a lot of neutral coasting as much as possible although I will use engine braking when the conditions are right for it. Neutral coasting has a much greater potential for maximizing miles per gallon BUT it is heavily dependent on the environment in which you are driving. In my rural area all the roads are 55 MPH max with some towns you will slow down to 35 MPH to pass through which is prime opportunity for coasting but in a heavily populated urban area its just not going to work out well for most people when you need to keep up with traffic and get out of the way. Out here in the sticks I often have most of the road to myself so I can do whatever I want to make the most of my momentum.

Its true sometimes having to shift is a nuisance but I think the benefits outweigh the cons. We get a more aggressive final drive and we put more power to the pavement than the autos and CVTs, all around better performance and if driven properly can still get better mileage than what the average person gets out of their CVT which is a win-win. Typically a safe bet that a properly used and maintained manual will outlast any automatic transmission.

Never use the clutch to hold yourself on a hill, I might have misunderstood your words but the end-all is that if your clutch pedal is anywhere other than fully in or fully out when driving then the clutch disk is incurring wear. (So of course never rest your foot on the clutch while driving either) My old man got over 450k miles out of a clutch in a basic small sedan like this one and many days he was towing a trailer with firewood to boot, they can last a very long time but you gotta keep slippage to a bare minimum, just what is necessary to get rolling and get over the first gear or two without lurching.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will stop rocking the clutch at hills.... yea the car does the trick, but damn its kinda boring to drive....oh well its a commuter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like mine. For the first 3,000 miles or so, I babied it and kept the RPM's well below 4K, usually under 3K... Now that she's got about 8,000 miles on her, I'm more confident opening up the throttle, and she's a lot more fun to drive.

It red-lines at 6.5K, which means you have a lot of room to play with. If you keep the revs between 3 and 5K, you'll find she's very peppy, with a satisfying amount of torque. Unfortunately, if you drive like that, you sacrifice fuel economy, but I still get 29 mpg around town.

I was hoping the mileage would be better, but it's still pretty good, and I do think my Note is fun to drive. No, it's not as fun as a Miata, but it's not dissimilar, and it cost a whole lot less.

If you've already broken in the engine and you're not too concerned about mileage, try keeping the revs between 3 and 5K... It reminds me of riding a motorcycle, but safer and with better climate control! ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Huh? Its a fun car to drive. I deal crawling traffic so many days I start off in first, shift to 3rd or 5th and let the car idle with light pressure on the gas.

Really its not much of a manual beings its a 5 speed. Once I hit 35 I shift to 5th and its all engine from there with light pressure.

I typically use 1st, 2nd, 3rd then 5th.

Like said above, its a blast to drive shifting at 6500 rpms. :D

I average 43 mpg cruzing between 65-70 for 32 miles after 7 miles of coasting in gear with traffic.

Im disappointed at the lack of engine braking myself. This is the first stick Ive own that I brake it in the last gear til I hit 1 grand then I pull the lever to neutral til I know the light to cycle green. Then I clutch it and shift to 1st.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some days I wish I had an auto, but most of the time I'm glad I went with a manual. It helps make what normally would be a boring car into at least something a bit peppy when you keep it high in the RPMs. I would have not bought this car with the CVT. I'd rather walk.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I know the analog cvt is more efficient, but I had a honda and it was a dog. You got several issues at play with the cvt. The 2 baby each other so you end up at redline bouncing off the rev limiter while the cvt ecu is too much of a pussy to load up the engine.

I found the best way to defeat this with my honda was to use higher octane fuel and use the manual mode. 93 octane from bp made it hold at 4500 rpms and haul ass. 87 made it rev to redline and putter along.

Ive never driven a cvt versa, so I can not comment but the reviews I read it sounds like it suffers from the same problem. THe cvt wont load up the engine to keep the revs at peak torque output vs redline. Im assuming much like with my honda the engine is saying woah and pulling timing out as the cvt starts to load it up and backs off and lets the revs go higher. Its a catch 22 til you are at redline then you arent getting max hp as its hitting the rev limiter that is either cutting spark, defueling or both while timing is retarded 40 degrees. :surprise

With the stick I can pick was rpm to launch the car if I want to haul ass or just get to point b. Same with shift points. Its a nice engine and Ive found it gets the job done if you short shift it or drag the revs out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
got a manual S Sedan 2017. what are your manual driving tendancies? trying to be most effecient with my car.

i tend to drive in gear.

i try not to ride the clutch much.. except for while on a hill, i hold clutch in first gear.

i shift slow, and wait until RPM drops to 2K...

its a pain in the ass to drive manual everyday 150miles a day.

might trade in car next year....:surprise
In cars like this is not good to lug the engine. Shift above 2500 and less than 70mph. I averaged above 39 my last tank and on this one 43. Not sure how far the MPG meter is, but I assume 1-3 percent.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love my 2016 Versa sedan 5 speed manual. But I am constantly cussing at the 1-2 shift. I can never get a smooth shift from first to second gear no matter what I try. The rest of the gears are fine and smooth. I have driven manuals most of my life. I am 55 years old. This Versa is the hardest one ever to try and have a smooth 1-2 shift. It's the only gripe I have about the car. Well that and not having a key hole for the front passenger door.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love my 2016 Versa sedan 5 speed manual. But I am constantly cussing at the 1-2 shift. I can never get a smooth shift from first to second gear no matter what I try. The rest of the gears are fine and smooth. I have driven manuals most of my life. I am 55 years old. This Versa is the hardest one ever to try and have a smooth 1-2 shift. It's the only gripe I have about the car. Well that and not having a key hole for the front passenger door.
I dare you to try a 2017 Toyota Corolla S in manual. Then come back and share the experience. I double dare you!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I think the problem is 2 fold. For one the engine seems slow to rev down. Usually back pressure causes this. Maybe a larger exhaust or free-er flowing will help? Second problem is the engine makes a lot of low end torque. I find I get a jerk going into 2nd, so I easy off the gas. I get like a whip lash effect from the engine torqueing under the hood.

Plan B would be to just take off in 2nd. 1st is really low in this car and kind of gets in the way more than it helps.

Me, I find I chirp tires in first more often than not. >:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the problem is 2 fold. For one the engine seems slow to rev down. Usually back pressure causes this. Maybe a larger exhaust or free-er flowing will help? Second problem is the engine makes a lot of low end torque. I find I get a jerk going into 2nd, so I easy off the gas. I get like a whip lash effect from the engine torqueing under the hood.

Plan B would be to just take off in 2nd. 1st is really low in this car and kind of gets in the way more than it helps.

Me, I find I chirp tires in first more often than not. >:D

I might try starting in 2nd gear. You are right about being slow to rev down. I have often thought this is where the problem is. I do know the rough shifting from 1st to 2nd is worse when the A/C is on.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Although you can short shift this car I like dragging it out to 3500 rpms. Engine has a nice sound to it. :laugh:

This way you can skip a gear or 2. You also need to wait for the revs to come down so everything synchs up for the next shift. This slow deceleration of the engine with no throttle input makes it necessary to double clutch or pause in neutral between gears.

Im hoping a cat back exhaust upgrade will fix that. They say this engine has a similar valve technology to the bmw vanos with fewer parts. So it varies the valve lift so you have little to no vacuum ie pumping losses on the engine.

This is likely why it is a dog to engine brake this car vs using the mechanical ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing