Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I heard with some older cars when you do a brake job and push the brake fluid back when you spread the callipers, it can damage the ABS. Is this a cause for concern with my 2007 Nissan Versa SL?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hello,
I heard with some older cars when you do a brake job and push the brake fluid back when you spread the callipers, it can damage the ABS. Is this a cause for concern with my 2007 Nissan Versa SL?
most of the time the damage to the ABS system occurs when people are careless and dont take care to make sure that the caliper isnt freely hanging by the brake line. the ABS sensor is attached to the brake line and letting the caliper hang by just the brake line often can and will damage the ABS sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Note-ified,
Yes I never let any calipers hang by brake line, but didnt know that sensor was there, so thanks for the heads up!

All,
Does anyone know definitively if it will damage the ABS by spreading the calipers/piston? Of course I will be opening over flow tank.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
It won't damage anything. There is no other way to do a brake job unless you are going to remove the caliper before pressing the piston back in. I have never seen that in any manual, fsm or writeup in my life. My last car had ABS and I probably went through 4-5 pad changes. Just open the reservoir, press the piston in and your good to go.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Only time there is a special procedure involved is when you are replacing the ABS module itself, then you'd need a scan tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.