Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, coolant has been slowly leaking out of the radiator (or hoses, not really sure) of my 2009 Versa sedan, mostly on the driver's side but sometimes on the passenger side. A full tank of coolant will slowly leak out over the course of 2-3 weeks. I had a look at it but I couldn't find any obvious holes in the radiator. I had the radiator replaced at a shop less than a year ago because it had a hole, so I was surprised to see it leaking again less than a year later.

I did notice that coolant was leaking from the little tube where the automatic transmission fluid / AC lines would go. This car has a stick-shift and no A/C, so the little metal tube on the bottom driver's side of the radiator is capped off with a small rubber cap. But I did notice some coolant leaking from the flange where it connects to the body of the radiator. I tried tightening the flange but the leak continued.

Any ideas? I'll try to post some pics later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure how the Versa radiator is made since I haven't looked but some radiators are aluminum with plastic side tanks and will often leak at the seam where the aluminum and plastic are joined together.
Agreed- most radiators have two plastic sides and if you can't find a leak, it's usually b/c the plastic has not bonded to the aluminum. Solution? Take it to a radiator repair shop and let them pressure test it. If they can fix it, they will. Otherwise, it's time for an all-metal one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
OP, if your initial visual search under the car with a flashlight was not successful, it is time for you to get dirty in order to find a leak. When the engine compartment is not hot (so you do not burn yourself), get under the car and run your hand over all suspected places, searching for a wet spot. Sorry, no gloves. This is the only way to find a leak hidden from a direct view. This is what plumbers do when they search for a leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts