Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2010 versa back in December of 2017 and I learned to drive stick with it. After all the time I've spent with it, I can't seem to shift smoothly into 1st and second. I can't tell if its because I still haven't fully figured something out or if it's the car.

Only once in a blue moon do I get a perfectly smooth start in first and I can't get a smooth shift into second most of the time either. In stop and go traffic I'm constantly getting bucked around because of it. Its kinda embarrassing with passengers in the car.

After second gear all shifting (up and down) is like butter. Anyone else have the same issue? I think I should be revving more in when I start off in first, but I am afraid of burning the clutch. I guess this is more of a general question, not versa specific.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure what your driving habits are but I've learned that short shifting my 08 Versa makes for a smoother ride. I only hold first gear for about 15 - 20 feet and I have it all the way into 6th at 70 kph / 45 mph. Makes a big difference in fuel economy as well, I do 80% highway driving and get a respectable 36-38 mpg / 6.5 litres / 100km.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This can happen if the rpm drops too low either taking too long to shift out shifting at too low rpm. You typically want the rpms to "float" between shifts on lower powered cars so you'll accelerate and when you push on the clutch the rpm are still slightly climbing and they'll plateau before dropping and that's where you shift 1-2 after that gear you're moving fast enough it won't matter

·
Registered
674 Posts
I purchased my 2010 versa back in December of 2017 and I learned to drive stick with it. After all the time I've spent with it, I can't seem to shift smoothly into 1st and second. I can't tell if its because I still haven't fully figured something out or if it's the car.

Only once in a blue moon do I get a perfectly smooth start in first and I can't get a smooth shift into second most of the time either. In stop and go traffic I'm constantly getting bucked around because of it. Its kinda embarrassing with passengers in the car.

After second gear all shifting (up and down) is like butter. Anyone else have the same issue? I think I should be revving more in when I start off in first, but I am afraid of burning the clutch. I guess this is more of a general question, not versa specific.
Before you drive yourself crazy, why not get one of your friends or relatives that know how to drive a stick try the car out and see what they think. What your describing could be many things, clutch not releasing properly, worn syncros in the transmission, or even worn bushings on the transmission linkage area. I take it you purchased the car used, so I would also suggest that you have the transmission oil changed out just to be sure that the proper oil is in the case. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Additionally to what pimperell said, you can always visit a Nissan dealer and try another Versa 5-speed, new or used. It will help you to determine, if your shifting style is a problem, or a car.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
ProComputerGaming, where do you live? Maybe there is an owner near that can test it?

First gear in the 16 5 speed is really low. Its almost a waste as you can take off in 2nd. Now its a fustercluck of stuff that happens with this car. For one it has traction control so it will retard the engine if you spin a wheel or tire. 2nd since its used you may have worn or broke mounts for the engine tranny or both. That too can cause problems with rocking. Also you have a system that senses knocks so if you lug the engine too much at low rpm it will retard the timing causing the car to buck as well.

Use of the ac just makes matters worse as its an extra load on the engine. When cold I just clutch it without the throttle in my community to 3rd gear and idle out at 25. Then I idle out in first, gas it in second on.

Have you had the starter battery tested? If its bad its putting a load on the engine and alt. When I had the ac on top speed and lights on I do half throttle when engaging the clutch between gears due to the lug it puts on the system. :surprise

Have you checked the fluid? I think they use a hydro clutch system which is self adjusting.

Basically go to square one. Sit some where with the parking brake on in gear and try the clutch to see where the engagement point is. Then release the parking brake and keep repeating 1st in stop n go order til you get it.

·
Registered
66 Posts

My 2016 Versa S 5 speed is exactly the same way. I noticed it on the test drive and just thought I needed to get used to it. Almost 2 years later and I still can't shift between 1 and 2 properly. Shifting to other gears is buttery smooth. It's worse when the A/C is on. I have finally come to the conclusion that it's the car and not me. I have had friends drive the car and they tell me the same thing. I have driven standard trans vehicles my whole life. (I am 57) The Versa has been the hardest one to shift (Only from first gear to second) out of all of them I have owned.

·
Registered
939 Posts
So, now we're saying that not only is the a/c making your brake pedal go to the floor, it's also messing up the MTX shifter?

That's quite impossible you know............

If the 1 or 2 synchro has been burred up or the brake is dead then it never will shift smoothly, need trans work. The shifter may need some work at the neutral gate position.

The 1-2 shift is always somewhat stodgier anyway as the car has max resistance at that slow speed, the inertia both spinning and forward are working most against you then. Spinning because the 1-2 ratio is the biggest jump in numbers, the further ratios are apart the more different the gear speeds are, making it harder to connect them in a shift. Forward, car weight is more of an issue at lower speed too, it becomes semi-invisible as the car goes faster due to inertia keeping it moving. Any looseness in the driveline shows at slower speed more too, the unloading at the shift makes it show up more as jerky action.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if its the same on the 2010 but on my 2018 first gear is very low so I often start out in second. The problem is the engine RPM is slow to drop when I let off the throttle to shift so its hard to get a smooth shift between first and second.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Don't fret its not you, this is a common problem with the versa 5 speed manual tranny. I would go so far as to say it's a design flaw or at least poorly thought out engineering. I have a 2016 5 speed versa as well and although I have gotten a little better with mine after almost 2 years, I have come to accept the fact that this car will never shift as smoothly between first and second gear as most manual transmissions. Turning your AC on or off isn't going to help much if it all, it just doesn't make that much of a difference. What did help me a little bit is paying very close attention to your clutch pedal release and getting your RPM's up a little bit higher in first gear than you would normally think you need to. I'm not saying red line it, but get it up to between 2800 and 3000 RPMs. It's very hit or miss and, some days it shifts like silk and some days it shifts like s***. I have a post on here with the exact same problem as you if you want to look at it. Just search for posts under my username.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't fret its not you, this is a common problem with the versa 5 speed manual tranny. I would go so far as to say it's a design flaw or at least poorly thought out engineering. I have a 2016 5 speed versa as well and although I have gotten a little better with mine after almost 2 years, I have come to accept the fact that this car will never shift as smoothly between first and second gear as most manual transmissions. Turning your AC on or off isn't going to help much if it all, it just doesn't make that much of a difference. What did help me a little bit is paying very close attention to your clutch pedal release and getting your RPM's up a little bit higher in first gear than you would normally think you need to. I'm not saying red line it, but get it up to between 2800 and 3000 RPMs. It's very hit or miss and, some days it shifts like silk and some days it shifts like s***. I have a post on here with the exact same problem as you if you want to look at it. Just search for posts under my username.
This exactly. My 2012 has been like this since day one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I first got mine it was great (for what it is), but after a few weeks it was like it would stick a little before coming out of first gear. It would go into 2nd fine, just annoying that it would have resistance at coming out of 1st. This was only under normal, conservative driving though, because if I was in a hurry to get going in traffic and was winding it higher (as previously mentioned) it would shift great.

Since then I have experimented with gripping the shifter different ways. I used to like holding it pistol-grip style pulling it back from first to 2nd, but that only worked for those "aggressive" moments. Then I went to a top-grip, which was better, but it still seemed to stick a little more often than not. To be clear, it wasn't "stuck", but it did feel a bit bound-up before it released. I settled on a grip where I just lay my palm over the top of the shift knob, and then push down slightly and curl my fingers kind of like the motion of pitching a baseball...and pulling back as I do so. This results in the shifter coming freely out of 1st, and then smoothly (again... for what it is) going into 2nd.

For whatever reason... I swear these cars just like to be treated harshly... or at least not babied.

I've been driving stick a long time, mostly trucks too, so I am not spoiled by nice sporty shifters (I did love my 93 5.0 HO Mustang though)...
Anyways... my first stick was an 89' F-150, with a 302 and a borg-warner T-18 4-speed, I had that one for 7 years. 1st gear was a granny-low creeper gear, and was not even synchonized... and I will dare say that transmission shifted better, but not by much.

I'm not going to say the versa 5-speed sucks, but it is an aquired taste. .. and a HUGE step up over the CVT. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I also have a trouble to smoothly shift 2017 Versa S from 1st to 2nd gear. However 2018 Versa S shifts much smoother into 2nd gear. And I was driving more then one 2018 Versa. Looks like Nissan improved this. It would be interesting to hear from somebody else who also drives 2018 Versa.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drive a 2018 and indeed shifting smoothly in the lower gears is difficult. The main problem for me is the time it takes the engine RPM to drop once the clutch is disengaged. I found that if I take my foot off the throttle a second before stepping on the clutch the RPM will drop more, making the shift smoother but making for a very slow shift. Also because of the low gearing I sometimes start out in second gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
Q Myers
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing