Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Low GEAR. FIRST. People who have driven MTX for a while know they have to adjust to the new setup, it is a given. The steep low and second have been a thing now in cars for well over 30 years. It does get worse with every increase in gears, from 4 speed to 5 and 5 speed to 6.

ALL cars use pretty much a dry clutch, it is rare not to. The hydraulic does not mean the clutch, it means the actuating method, hydraulic still being a dry clutch. You're talking the difference in throwout bearing type there not the clutch.

Gear size is irrelevant to shifting ease, the cars you mention all have gears so small I would be laughing at them. It is the rpm drop between the ratios that makes it harder to shift. All cars space the gears further apart in the lower numbers and space them closer and closer together the faster the car is going, it's a best use of physics thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Make sure the clutch is completely disengaged, shift it into gear, let the clutch out. If it's not a problem of physically moving the gear shifter back from first to second, then it's probably just the changes on ratios being different in the other gears, where the rpms are when you are letting the clutch out. It should be able to be shifted smoothly whether it's at 5k rpm launch or 500, that smoothness comes from how slowly you let the clutch out in that sweet spot engagement zone.

Try letting it out as slow as you can. It's not better for it, but it should make everything smooth.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been driving manuals for almost 50 years and it took me a while. Everybody is right, 1st and 2nd are REAL short, you have to get to third pronto. If you are still having problems, it is much easier to shift when passengers on board, preferably 4.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts