Nissan Versa Forums banner

Car died totally

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MichColumbus 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum, and thank you in advance for accepting me among yourselves. I don’t have a fluent or perfect English but I will do my best to explain my situation. The reason I write this subject is because I had a little issue with my car yesterday. I must say that I have already had an empty engine oil tank. I have a 2009 Nissan Versa which I drive for Uber, and this Friday night I was driving with no issue when suddenly my car died at a traffic light. I struggled with it to start it up again and when I did I head home. In like 5 minutes away from my house the car died again at another traffic light, but this time I couldn’t turn on the engine. I called a friend of mine and I told him to come and to bring jumper cables. We tried several time and it work but what I have noticed is like a clicking noise coming from the engine area, I’m not sure if it’s the engine or not, but when I got a little hill my car started to slow down and then it died again. I just want to know if I’m having a serious problem in the engine or if it has something to do with the battery or the alternator or something else. Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
If you mean by "empty engine oil tank", that the engine ran on little or no oil then you may have a major problem on your hands. If you run your engine with low or no oil, it will seize up, meaning you can no longer turn or start the engine. From what I gather from your story, I am of the opinion that your engine is seized, and if that is the case there is possibly MAJOR internal damage and the engine may have to be replaced. What I would suggest first is to check the oil level and make sure it is where it needs to be. Second, with the ignition in the OFF position try and turn the engine over by hand using the crankshaft nut. If the engine won't turn, it may be and indication that the engine needs to be replaced. If the engine does turn, try and start it. If when you say "empty engine oil tank" you mean the gasoline tank, that could be a different story. If that is the case, your fuel pump may be on the way out, or your fuel filter could be clogged, but that would not stop the motor from turning. Good luck!!!

#6 ·
Why would it start again after dying if it was seized? That would just be the end of that. Time to get another car.
I've made the mistake of running low on oil in a subaru forester I owned. Had rod knock but didn't kill it. Turned out for the best because I traded it, no questions asked for my second STI. Lesson learned though. I have a reminder on my phone to check the oil level in all my cars at least once a month.

#7 ·
'Why would it start again after dying if it was seized?'

You need to direct that question upwards as no one here can tell you all of the laws of random chaosian theory. I have seen it happen before though, your idea is an absolute and does not apply there.

Sometimes they partially seize to loosen up at cooldown to do it again later.

#8 · (Edited)
That's a terrible piece of news for me. Anyway, nothing ends here. I think that you can buy a brand-new car from the dealer. I also had an old car that died one day, and there was nothing to do about it. So I decided to contact the guys from National Scrap Car Calculator Online. Their platform allowed me to find the best offers for me. I made a pretty good amount of money just with one click. The next day a few guys came to take the car. I got the cash transferred online on the same day. It's very comfy because in this way you will save a lot of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.