Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate car insurance :mad:

Last year our premiums went up so I was able to take off some coverage so I can afford the insurance. I was paying about $311/month.

Our province in Ontario made some changes to auto and home insurance which means I'm now paying $384/month!!!!!!! I've had my full license for 4 years and I've been driving for 6 years now. No tickets or accidents.

Just wanted to rant because this totally sucks

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Ouch. That's really high. I just changed the insurance and car to my name a few weeks ago. I went with a different insurance company then my parents. I got it for $180.00 even, with extra coverage options. I did get a work discount but I still thought it was high. But I guess for just switching it to my name for the first time it's not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just today I got the Progressive Snapshot device thingy in an effort to reduce my insurance. (127/month for 0$ deductible) Here's hoping it benefits me and doesn't raise my rates!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I pay $230/month with Nationwide. That's mostly due to my driving record.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ontario made some changes to auto and home insurance.
Sure does. Got shovelled to us saying "We've given you more options" but it just meant we can reduce bits of coverage and up the rates.:(
If I were in business, I would want it to succeed, and I would charge what the market can bear. But quarter after quarter of record profits?sigh. At least I'm old, and with house and two car collision coverage I am paying 'just' 230/mo.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think part of the problem is government corporate taxes.

All the social services the government wants to handout to the public have to come from somewhere. Private sector.

Example cell phones services.

if the payment is 49.99, that 49.99 is profit for the private business
if they have 1,000,000 customers, 49.00 X 1,000,000 = 49,990,000 Dollars

now the corporation has to pay 8% corporate tax out of 49,990,000
so they actually make 45,990,800

Corporation says screw that...let the customer pay the 8% tax
infact... lets add all the government regulation fees, surcharges...
we are in business to make money baby!!!!! :biggrinjester:

it sucks!!
I'm not talking bad about the government, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's this little chip thingy that plugs into the car and tattle tales all the bad driving I do. It measures speed, distance driven, time of driving, G-forces and emergency starts and stops. You leave it in for about 60 days and then they base new policy prices off of it.

Things that can negatively affect your policy include speeding, driving over 40 miles a day, driving between midnight and 4am, hard cornering and accelerating or decelerating more than 7mph in a 3second span.

The best thing is if your a bad driver and it's gonna make your rates go up instead of down they automatically cancel it and your rates stay the same. Several insurance companies have them, check with yours.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Don't forget that where you live impacts your insurance rates. Also, When looking at cars and gathering quotes, Honda would have cost me or my brother much more to insure. I'm hoping that after a year with them that my insurance rates will drop.

We pay a lot of money in taxes to support those in lower economic situations here in Hamilton. In Ontario, We pay much more for fuel, cell phones, houses, etc and are taxed 13% on everything now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's this little chip thingy that plugs into the car and tattle tales all the bad driving I do. It measures speed, distance driven, time of driving, G-forces and emergency starts and stops. You leave it in for about 60 days and then they base new policy prices off of it.

Things that can negatively affect your policy include speeding, driving over 40 miles a day, driving between midnight and 4am, hard cornering and accelerating or decelerating more than 7mph in a 3second span.

The best thing is if your a bad driver and it's gonna make your rates go up instead of down they automatically cancel it and your rates stay the same. Several insurance companies have them, check with yours.
I see...
Here in Knoxville, TN everybody speeds. the speed limit is 55MPH but everytime I go the speed limit people get mad at me, they get close to my rear bumper. even if No joke, I wish I had it on Camera. The fact is the only time people go 55MPH on a 55MPH zone is when a police officer is doing his job clocking people speeding, but when there's no law enforcement around, it turns in to a free for all and some drivers claim that it is SAFER to go 5MPH to 10MPH over the speed limit but when the same driver sees a cop they hit the brakes!!! A guy got real close to my bumper last week, and I was on the left lane going around 58MPH on a 55MPH, I changed to the other lane, to let him pass me, 3 lane highway, okay? so why he couldn't just pass me instead of getting so close to my rear bumper I could only see 1/2 of his hood, so he passes me and I looked at him and flipped him off :dita: because that was rude as hell and thanks to dumb desperate drivers like him :incazzato: is the reason why people wreck, :incazzato: we pay high insurance rates :incazzato:, other than government regulation funds, and there's nothing I could d about it, made me so mad!! :incazzato:
I wanted to fight him :boxing_smiley:
if I was driving in the far left lane doing 55MPH yeah, I could understand the issue, but I was driving on the left lane. It was hard to over look and I should not put up with it, but if I speed like everyone else, then I will be the one getting the 64MPH on 55MPH ticket
And the officer will say sign here, thank you, slow down and be safe :cop3:

:facepalm:

decelerating more than 7mph in a 3second span...
We have Red light Cameras, when that light turns yellow, I slam my brakes like everyone else beause we don't want to pay 50.00 dollars for running a yellow light that turns red right before you cross it. if the light turns red before you pass the traffic light, you will get a ticket in the mail for running a red light. so the snopshot will detect that quick decelaration as wreckless driving :facepalm:

Driving over 40 miles a day...
I drive at least 60 miles a day, the snopshot will not like that at all :facepalm:

hard cornering and accelerating should not be detected on my driving :woot: but...
the fact that I do brake hard to not get a ticket in the mail, is all they need to know :thumb2: to increase my rate :thumb2: :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I see...
Here in Knoxville, TN everybody speeds. the speed limit is 55MPH but everytime I go the speed limit people get mad at me, they get close to my rear bumper. even if No joke, I wish I had it on Camera. The fact is the only time people go 55MPH on a 55MPH zone is when a police officer is doing his job clocking people speeding, but when there's no law enforcement around, it turns in to a free for all and some drivers claim that it is SAFER to go 5MPH to 10MPH over the speed limit but when the same driver sees a cop they hit the brakes!!! A guy got real close to my bumper last week, and I was on the left lane going around 58MPH on a 55MPH, I changed to the other lane, to let him pass me, 3 lane highway, okay? so why he couldn't just pass me instead of getting so close to my rear bumper I could only see 1/2 of his hood, so he passes me and I looked at him and flipped him off :dita: because that was rude as hell and thanks to dumb desperate drivers like him :incazzato: is the reason why people wreck, :incazzato: we pay high insurance rates :incazzato:, other than government regulation funds, and there's nothing I could d about it, made me so mad!! :incazzato:
I wanted to fight him :boxing_smiley:
if I was driving in the far left lane doing 55MPH yeah, I could understand the issue, but I was driving on the left lane. It was hard to over look and I should not put up with it, but if I speed like everyone else, then I will be the one getting the 64MPH on 55MPH ticket
And the officer will say sign here, thank you, slow down and be safe :cop3:

:facepalm:

decelerating more than 7mph in a 3second span...
We have Red light Cameras, when that light turns yellow, I slam my brakes like everyone else beause we don't want to pay 50.00 dollars for running a yellow light that turns red right before you cross it. if the light turns red before you pass the traffic light, you will get a ticket in the mail for running a red light. so the snopshot will detect that quick decelaration as wreckless driving :facepalm:

Driving over 40 miles a day...
I drive at least 60 miles a day, the snopshot will not like that at all :facepalm:

hard cornering and accelerating should not be detected on my driving :woot: but...
the fact that I do brake hard to not get a ticket in the mail, is all they need to know :thumb2: to increase my rate :thumb2: :biggrinjester:

Perhaps it's not for everyone.....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Last year our premiums went up so I was able to take off some coverage so I can afford the insurance. I was paying about $311/month.

Our province in Ontario made some changes to auto and home insurance which means I'm now paying $384/month!!!!!!! I've had my full license for 4 years and I've been driving for 6 years now. No tickets or accidents.

Let me get this straight... you have had your full G licence for 4 years now, clean record, driving a versa hatch... and paying $384/month!!!??? That DOES suck.

I'm guessing your around the same age as me (23, will be 24 in July) since you have had your full licence for 4 years (got mine when I was 18). When I bought my Versa, brand new in 2008, it was the first car that I had in my name. I was 21, had 1 speeding ticket on my record, and full coverage and I was paying $200.91/month. Each year I have had the car it has dropped (I think the first was a ticket coming off my record) and then the next it went down again. We will see what happens this August. But as it stands right now, I am 23, my record is now clean, and I have full coverage on the car and am paying $150/month.

I know that location does affect things... but dang... your paying more than double what I am! Have you looked elsewhere for insurance??

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Meow mix what company are you with. I got quotes with various places and found TD Meloche monnex to be the cheapest. I also got a discount from them for working for TD. They also gave me another discount by adding my parents to the car as "casual drivers". I got my G1 at 16, and have had my full license since 18, no tickets or accidents either. If mine was going up that much I would call and ask why. Do you put lots of kms on every year? Try getting quotes elsewhere. It might be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
iluvmyVersa08 said:
They also gave me another discount by adding my parents to the car as "casual drivers".
I'm with TD Meloche Monnex... so... if I add my parents as casual drivers my rates will actually go down???

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I'm with TD Meloche Monnex... so... if I add my parents as casual drivers my rates will actually go down???
You can try. All I know is he added my parents and it was cheaper than my online quote. However they have both had their licenses forever with perfect records for both. That could be why. But for just switching to them I was happy with the quote. I had asked for a quote from belair direct (the company I was insured with as a casual driver under my parents name). Even after giving me the "snow tire" discount they wanted $230.00/month. So that's why I went with TD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me get this straight... you have had your full G licence for 4 years now, clean record, driving a versa hatch... and paying $384/month!!!??? That DOES suck.

I'm guessing your around the same age as me (23, will be 24 in July) since you have had your full licence for 4 years (got mine when I was 18). When I bought my Versa, brand new in 2008, it was the first car that I had in my name. I was 21, had 1 speeding ticket on my record, and full coverage and I was paying $200.91/month. Each year I have had the car it has dropped (I think the first was a ticket coming off my record) and then the next it went down again. We will see what happens this August. But as it stands right now, I am 23, my record is now clean, and I have full coverage on the car and am paying $150/month.

I know that location does affect things... but dang... your paying more than double what I am! Have you looked elsewhere for insurance??
It gets better lol. I'm not even the primary driver. To switch over from occasional to primary I'm looking at paying $416.00 per month. Both my mom and myself have a clean driving record. I'm with TD insurance because they gave me the best rate when I purchased the versa in 2009. I called up the insurance company so they can explain why my rates are so high and they told me in September the Ontario government made some changes in auto insurance called the "Ontario Automobile Reform". They also said Scarborough was rated one of the highest risk areas (Brampton being the worst).

I did a quick quote on kanetix and Dejardins is offering me $374.00/per month as a primary driver. It's a little cheaper and it means I would be considered a primary driver. However I would lose my loyalty at TD and if I want to return, my rates may actually be higher.

Meow mix what company are you with. I got quotes with various places and found TD Meloche monnex to be the cheapest. I also got a discount from them for working for TD. They also gave me another discount by adding my parents to the car as "casual drivers". I got my G1 at 16, and have had my full license since 18, no tickets or accidents either. If mine was going up that much I would call and ask why. Do you put lots of kms on every year? Try getting quotes elsewhere. It might be beneficial.

I do about 30,000km per year. Work alone is 20,000km per year

·
Registered
613 Posts
looks like you need to move out of scarborough meow_mix lol
all i know is im on my parents insurance, and the rates are lower, not exaclty sure how much we are paying cause my parents just tell me to pay them 200 a month.. oh the benefits of living at home :p

1 - 20 of 79 Posts