Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 Note SV with keyless entry. For a backup key I went to WalMart and had a key made for $1.75. It opens the doors and starts the car fine. It has no buttons but works great as a backup or 'hide-a-key'.
You have done well and given me the idea of getting the spare one.I recently have one from but soon get one more spare for emergency issues.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is another reason I love my new to me 2015 Versa 1.6S. All it uses is a simple $2 key!!

The 2016 Nissan Quest in my sig has the push button start with the FOB. Hundreds of dollars at the dealer, or $25 online for an aftermarket FOB, but getting it programmed takes two computers plugged into the diagnostic port. I sat in the van with a locksmith when he programmed one for me. Wow! A 5-10min easy job for him, but the cost of the equipment to do so?

Reactions: ram1220

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just had some copies of the ignition key made for my 2015 Versa 1.6 S. Right off the bat the locksmith asked if I had the car with me "This is about $100 chipped key" he claimed. I showed him the other plain metal key I have and use for this car. He then went to check and was flabbergasted that a 2015 model year vehicle would only use a $3 key. I think it's awesome. So did he!

Reactions: ram1220

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I bought my '16 Versa SV it only had one key come with it. I ordered 2 blanks off eBay for $13.29 and took them to the local hardware store and ask them if they would cut them for me since they don't do transponder keys. They only charged me $1. plus tax each to cut them and I programmed them myself using the info in this video.
I didn't try either of them to see if the car would start with them prior to programming them. As it ended up I got two extra keys for $15.41 maybe more than would have actually been necessary but not so expensive I regret buying them and all my keys have the option of using them to electronically open the doors and trunk.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have verified my '11 S DOES have a chipped key, it is molded into the plastic fob surrounding the key metal. I cut it carefully off and the car will not do anything with the plastic removed, put it back on the key basic metal shape and then the car starts again. I also verified the transmitting distance there, unlike a Ford where the car will start with the chip around 6 inches away from the immobiliser coil the Nissan chip has to be closer than 1 inch to send a strong enough signal to trigger the computer.

So they are doing different things to different year models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What tool you have used to cut the key, please let me know so that i will also do the same with mine key also. I don't want to spend much on toronto locksmith for key cut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2016 Versa Note does not use a transponder or chip key. It has a three button remote that opens the doors and activates the panic alarm.

I was able to buy two of those three-button remote keys on eBay for $12 last year. I brought them over to Home Depot where they cut the keys for free.

Then I downloaded he instructions for programming the keys to my Versa - requires taking the original key and turning the ignition a certain way and maybe opening and closeing door locks, then pressing buttons on the new keys.

All keys now synced up to my car and have worked fine for over a year.

FOR THOSE UNFORTUNATE TO HAVE A CHIPPED KEY...
  • You can have plain metal keys cut, or the above mentioned three button remote keys.
  • take your transponder key and using firm duct tape... tape the key under your dashboard, or embed it in the dash out of sight.
  • now you can use the cheap keys whenever you want!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Versa SL with a standard key(no remote). When I called the dealer to get copies, they quoted a price of around $50 to cut and program a new key. I went to Walmart where they have a device that checks the key to see if it has an electronic chip. They said it does not. They cut a new key for $1.50 and it opens the door and starts the vehicle just fine. Everybody, including my mechanic, tells me that this is not possible. My mechanic insists that there is something in the vehicle that is giving the ignition a signal to start.
Apparently everyone else keeps things that are better what to me because I can't find nowhere that will cut me a key without a key fob for my 2012 Nissan versa. I don't have anything for them to match it up to is what they're saying so the only way I can get one is supposedly if I pay $200 or more to the Nissan place. Walmart said I would have to have another key for them to make a copy off. I thought maybe I could find a pre-cut one online but I can't seem to find that either. And a lock smith is saying they would have 2 charge me the same 4 a non chipped key because they have 2 come out 2 the were the car is 2 make it. I was just wondering if anyone new if that's true, do I have to come out to where the cars at to make the key?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It is difficult (for me) to comprehend what you are saying. If I got it right, you do not have a key at all so it is impossible to get a copy of something you do not have. If it is the case, you can try to call to a dealer with your VIN and get a key number (code). You can give it to a smith so they do not have to come to you in order to make a key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is difficult (for me) to comprehend what you are saying. If I got it right, you do not have a key at all so it is impossible to get a copy of something you do not have. If it is the case, you can try to call to a dealer with your VIN and get a key number (code). You can give it to a smith so they do not have to come to you in order to make a key.
Thank you 4 at least I guess trying to help. I stated that I already called the dealership & everything in the question. That's why I was replying to someone who said they got a key cut for their versa for like a $1.50. The way it sounded to me was they also didn't have any key to match it for the cut. The dealership wants $200 for a chip key and I'm also in the same situation that the person that I again replied to was. Which is saying that he needed a chip key when he actually could use a key without a chip just like my car can but the dealer ship is trying to say otherwise. If you might know if you need suggestions other than what I had already stated which was that I had already called the dealership that would be awesome. Sorry that you had so much trouble understanding my question. I didn't realize that I had like three words that popped up wrong I can't see half of what I'm texting the way this site is showing on my phone. Okay thank you again. Hope u have a great day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Versa SL with a standard key(no remote). When I called the dealer to get copies, they quoted a price of around $50 to cut and program a new key. I went to Walmart where they have a device that checks the key to see if it has an electronic chip. They said it does not. They cut a new key for $1.50 and it opens the door and starts the vehicle just fine. Everybody, including my mechanic, tells me that this is not possible. My mechanic insists that there is something in the vehicle that is giving the ignition a signal to start.
Yeah he's almost have good luck because I can't get I need my dealership to cut name I can use for my 2012 Nissan Versa without a chip which is $200. And the locksmith said by the time he come out to make a regular key he would charge 200 also. Idk maybe it's cause I'm in Gaston County I hate it here. Heck y'all could had one made and sold on here by now. I actually just got ripped off 60 trying 2 get a key online.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What tool you have used to cut the key, please let me know so that i will also do the same with mine key also. I don't want to spend much on toronto locksmith for key cut.
Well, even if you have tools still it's not possible to do a key cut. that's the reason hiring a locksmith is always a useful way to get a key cut.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts