Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 Note SV with keyless entry. For a backup key I went to WalMart and had a key made for $1.75. It opens the doors and starts the car fine. It has no buttons but works great as a backup or 'hide-a-key'.
You have done well and given me the idea of getting the spare one.I recently have one from but soon get one more spare for emergency issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is another reason I love my new to me 2015 Versa 1.6S. All it uses is a simple $2 key!!

The 2016 Nissan Quest in my sig has the push button start with the FOB. Hundreds of dollars at the dealer, or $25 online for an aftermarket FOB, but getting it programmed takes two computers plugged into the diagnostic port. I sat in the van with a locksmith when he programmed one for me. Wow! A 5-10min easy job for him, but the cost of the equipment to do so?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just had some copies of the ignition key made for my 2015 Versa 1.6 S. Right off the bat the locksmith asked if I had the car with me "This is about $100 chipped key" he claimed. I showed him the other plain metal key I have and use for this car. He then went to check and was flabbergasted that a 2015 model year vehicle would only use a $3 key. I think it's awesome. So did he!

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I bought my '16 Versa SV it only had one key come with it. I ordered 2 blanks off eBay for $13.29 and took them to the local hardware store and ask them if they would cut them for me since they don't do transponder keys. They only charged me $1. plus tax each to cut them and I programmed them myself using the info in this video.
I didn't try either of them to see if the car would start with them prior to programming them. As it ended up I got two extra keys for $15.41 maybe more than would have actually been necessary but not so expensive I regret buying them and all my keys have the option of using them to electronically open the doors and trunk.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have verified my '11 S DOES have a chipped key, it is molded into the plastic fob surrounding the key metal. I cut it carefully off and the car will not do anything with the plastic removed, put it back on the key basic metal shape and then the car starts again. I also verified the transmitting distance there, unlike a Ford where the car will start with the chip around 6 inches away from the immobiliser coil the Nissan chip has to be closer than 1 inch to send a strong enough signal to trigger the computer.

So they are doing different things to different year models.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
29 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing