Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Versa note SV 2016 Engine : Hr16de paired with a CVT :(
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i stop and leave it in drive i hear a rattling sound coming from the engine area. Its only when i press the brakes and not when its in neutral. Here is a video i took. Shit broke

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
366 Posts
I think I'm hearing a "thunk" in the video. There is also some traffic noise in the background, so I'm having a hard time hearing a rattling sound.
Any who... As far as a "thunk" sound I would start with a visual inspection of the motor mounts and trans mounts.
If you are trying to track down a "rattle" sound, look at the heat shields around the exhaust system.
Maybe you can have someone hold your phone/camera near the engine area when you press on the brake.
In the video you have the car in "Low". Does it make the same sound in "Drive" or "Reverse" or only in "Low"??

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm hearing a "thunk" in the video. There is also some traffic noise in the background, so I'm having a hard time hearing a rattling sound.
Any who... As far as a "thunk" sound I would start with a visual inspection of the motor mounts and trans mounts.
If you are trying to track down a "rattle" sound, look at the heat shields around the exhaust system.
Maybe you can have someone hold your phone/camera near the engine area when you press on the brake.
In the video you have the car in "Low". Does it make the same sound in "Drive" or "Reverse" or only in "Low"??
Nah the thunk your hearing is me pressing the brake you really have to turn up your volume to hear it like all the way and listen closely its a continuous rattle and it happens in drive and low and reverse

· Registered
366 Posts
OK... good.
Well two things happen when you shift from park or neutral into a motion gear (drive, reverse or low) you are engaging the transmission and putting a load on the engine.
If the motor mounts are worn out, the engine can move slightly, thus something that isn't touching (like a heat shield or some other part) will move & can rub against something else -- thus you get your rattling sound.
The other possibility is something has gone wrong (internally) in the transmission.
The rattle does not occur with the parking brake on and the car in Low, only when you press the brake?? Can you clarify?? I want to rule out a vacuum leak on the brake booster or brake booster hose.
What year is your car?? How many miles?? Do you have a CVT transmission??
I've got a few more questions, but lets try not to condemn the transmission as this may point you in the wrong direction.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK... good.
Well two things happen when you shift from park or neutral into a motion gear (drive, reverse or low) you are engaging the transmission and putting a load on the engine.
If the motor mounts are worn out, the engine can move slightly, thus something that isn't touching (like a heat shield or some other part) will move & can rub against something else -- thus you get your rattling sound.
The other possibility is something has gone wrong (internally) in the transmission.
The rattle does not occur with the parking brake on and the car in Low, only when you press the brake?? Can you clarify?? I want to rule out a vacuum leak on the brake booster or brake booster hose.
What year is your car?? How many miles?? Do you have a CVT transmission??
I've got a few more questions, but lets try not to condemn the transmission as this may point you in the wrong direction.
Ok so i have a 2016 versa note sv with the cvt. 74k miles and it doesnt happen when the parking brake is up onky when i press the pedal.

· Registered
366 Posts
Again... good.
Are you having any issues with the brake lights?? Do they all come on when you press the brake pedal??
Let me look up some information on the brake booster. I'll be back in a couple of minutes.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again... good.
Are you having any issues with the brake lights?? Do they all come on when you press the brake pedal??
Let me look up some information on the brake booster. I'll be back in a couple of minutes.
Yes they do i wont be abke ti respond for about 45 mins

· Registered
366 Posts
OK... I looked up a few checks for the brake booster for "air tightness". They are not all that complicated but do require you to run the engine two minutes and do a few tests.
I can post them if you want to try them (later) and you can tell me the results.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK... I looked up a few checks for the brake booster for "air tightness". They are not all that complicated but do require you to run the engine two minutes and do a few tests.
I can post them if you want to try them (later) and you can tell me the results.
Please do and ill post results after thanks for all the help

· Registered
366 Posts
Test #1 - With the engine off, press the brake pedal several times. Is there any change in the reserve distance (pedal travel)??
Test #2 - Push down the brake pedal & hold, then start the engine. The pedal should go down slightly. Did it??
Test #3 - Start the engine and let the car run for 2 minutes, then turn it off. Press the brake pedal several times. Does the pedal stroke shorten (a little less) each time??
Test #4 - Push down on the brake & hold with the engine running, then turn off the engine. Hold for 30 seconds. Does the brake pedal move or travel during this 30 seconds??

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1: it does get very hard to press after about 4 times
2: yes it did
3:it does shorten just it shortens a good bit so as said in the first one it becomes rlly hard after ab 4 pumps
4: no it does not

i dont think its anything with the brakes as we just got the brakes done like 2000 miles ago

· Registered
366 Posts
The results of your tests rule out any problems with the brake booster or brake booster vacuum line.
Can you have a friend push on the brake and repeat the things you did in the video, while you stand to the side with the hood open??
I'm hoping you'll be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Again, I'm hoping its a loose heat shield or something along those lines.
With the engine off, take a quick look at the motor and trans mounts, shine a flash light and see if they are torn/ripped or degraded??

As a side note, have you been keeping up with the CVT fluid changes?? Any problems with the CVT shifting??

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ill do that soon. And there is no problems when driving and no other sounds exept i did notice a very high pitch almost ringing sound when i stopped earlier which wasnt there before

· Registered
366 Posts
I'm not familiar with the warning sounds of a CVT transmission, as I have a manual transmission Versa.
I know there are other members on the forum who have a CVT Versa, perhaps they can chime in and let you know if they have heard these sounds.
I still think I would ask a friend to hold the brake on, while you stand to the side of the car and try to pinpoint either of the two noises.
There is a lot of information on the forum about this CVT transmission.
I just did a quick google search and some people reported "Whining", "Clanging" and "Rattling" before their CVT transmission failed.

· Registered
119 Posts
Mine only does it on drive but that sounds of that video I'm seeing very loud mine is very lesser sounds tapping so maybe it from bumper lose or something but has mechanical I don't think something is wrong what's your suggestions??

· Registered
5 Posts
Whenever i stop and leave it in drive i hear a rattling sound coming from the engine area. Its only when i press the brakes and not when its in neutral. Here is a video i took. Shit broke
Hey have the motor monts checked
Hey have your motor mounts checked I have 2014 versa sv sounds like same rattle my car makes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts