Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual calls for 3 3/4 quarts of oil with a filter change. but often when I go to change the oil only need 2 1/2 to 3 quarts before the dipstick is between the high in the low. Why does this happen?? I use mobil 1 advanced feel economy synthetic oil and an extended performance or filter. i've been changing my oil every 10,000 miles with filter change.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Some extended mileage filters have additive cartridges inside them that take up oil space. As well, no two brands have the exact same oil volume to begin with.

Look under car, if still using a stamped steel oil pan you may have struck something to dent it. If changing oil while car not dead level some can stay inside the engine too depending on the drain hole location in that level. The jacking up of car often changes it too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It will be quite some time before my next oil change due to the low miles I put on the car but next time I do I think instead of driving just the front of the car onto ramps I may use all four of my ramps and drain the oil with the car level, see if that makes any difference. Its going to take me years to average it out on my own but the more info we share the faster we will get a feel for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i want to echo amc49... even if you were to let it drain overnight, there would be oil throughout the engine... an important point to consider, after you refill the oil, check the level after your first drive, as the oil in the pan will be pumped into the engine, including filling up that new filter, probably leaving less oil in the pan...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took off my bald snow tires today and while it was up on the lift I noticed a spot of oil on the seal above the drain plug. So i drained the oil, removed the filter and pulled off the oil pan. Which btw if you happen to have a guitar string in your tool box use that to cut away the liquid gasket. It is stuck on there pretty good and with the engine being aluminum and the oil pan, idk what its made of some kind of steel alloy probably, its very flimsy. So there is a chance of damaging either one by prying it off. Long story short... it took 5.355 qts to get it to the full mark on the dipstick. According to the digital oil filler pump. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to take a picture to show yous but my battery was to low to use the camera.
So that will tell you how much oil is left in the pan after draining from the plug and filter.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I find that one to be something of a tall tale but if the digital amount reading device is at an oil change business, well, that says everything I need to know..........................

·
Registered
14 Posts
If there is one thing I am not, its a liar.
I don't appreciate your post insinuating that I am. I respect your opinions on other posts, but why are you so... grumpy.
Just say what you've got to say and then edit out the attitude. We'll all be better off that way.

I will find out if the gauge I used is accurate and post the results.

Has anyone else removed their oil pan?
And if so how much oil was needed to fill it back up?
(Mine is a 2012 1.8L manual versa hatch)

·
Registered
939 Posts
'...edit out the attitude.'

Read your own work. I question pretty much everything and everyone and most especially myself, it's how I've fixed cars for the last 40+ years and not paid a shop ever to do work and most commonly the first time I've ever done it on most stuff I touch. By tall tale I mean I questioned the outcome NOT the person. Two very different things but many cannot grasp that. That will not be my problem.

You now question the device yourself, that bears what I say out. If you would simply think instead of flame on you'd realize that's more oil than goes commonly in a V-8. If you had read the entire post you would also know that I accepted the device as the reason for the variance thus releasing you of anything at all. What the 'but' means.

'Insinuation' means the suggestion of something bad, not my fault if you pick the wrong thing there................

Geez......................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry its been a little while, I'm a busy guy.
Amc49, are you a Scorpio?
Like your self I too question everything.
I'm just trying to get along here.Yeah
Flame On is not my style, I have more of a Bruce Lee type philosophy towards life..."Be like water, my friend".
As you suggested I read my own work, a couple of times, and ... I dont see how you took it as flame on. Constructive criticism, yes. An apology would have been fine with me.
As I said before I respect your opinion, on the knowledge you have acquired over the years. And you usually do a good job of describing ... what ever it happens to be that your talking about.
Here comes the But.
The commentary you leave on this forum is what people remember about you. Your negativity drowns out the knowledge your trying to share with us.
I can see how text based comunication can sometimes get misinterpreted but I dont think your going for humor, most of the time it sounds very cynical. What you said above on this post as well as other posts.
Telling people that they don't think, that they're lemmings, on one you said "is that air your breathing"... that one I remembered because I often ask people "Do you think that's air that your breathing?", a Matrix reference that has a completely different meaning when you say it like that.
Im not here to prove anything to anybody I just think, maybe, more people would put their two cents in if they didn't think they would be ridiculed for it.

I checked the filler pump it is accurate.

To me a tall tale is when some one tells me a lie, like All the apple trees were planted by one guy with a sack of seeds and no shoes. Or an axe wielding giant (with a huge blue ox)'s hand print created the great lakes. Or our money has a real value. ;/
When some one lies to me I consider that to be bad.
So insinuation is the correct term there. You're suggesting either I'm a liar or I'm using equipment that is obviously designed to cheat people. Both bad.
Im almost done here.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've overfilled my vehicle and an expensive repair is just around the corner.
We'll see. I don't know exactly how long it's been leaking but since the repair its running better than ever. Time will tell.

To the rest of yous... if your versa has an unquenchable thirst for oil check and see if it has a leak around the oil pan, if so, it has a liquid gasket I used a product called 'right stuff' or use what ever nissan suggests. Take the pan off clean it up reseal it and let us know how much oil you put in it when your done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did go over a curb a while back where the oil pan is but I don't see any dents, surprisingly. but I've noticed in my Cube and Sentra I have the same thing going on with the oil.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Look here. Often the checking procedure needs to change. Modern cars snake the dipstick around a whole lot more than oldschool cars ever did. Look at the stick, ever wonder why there is always a twist bent into the end? It's to clear one side of the stick over curves in the tube. Put the stick in all the way but NEVER interfere with any twisting the stick wants to do going in. When it goes in, commonly one side contacts the sides of the tube more than the other and it typically smears any oil reading you get off that side to be 100% useless. The other side may even try to do the same but often not nearly so much. Put stick in same side out or front or whatever as a control standard and then do it exactly the same every time. You then are looking for the side that smears all over the place and weed that side out as the bad one, then start looking CLOSE at the other side over and over. It may smear a little but often not much and at some point you will find a dead straight across level mark that will repeat on that side over and over to be the reading you look at. The WRONG side will typically read too high. The lower one is generally the accurate number. Bright sunlight is a boon there. Hold the stick once out horizontally too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I might add that overfilling does not seem much of a problem with automobiles. I just had a free oil change done by the dealer and the level was well over the max fill mark. The mechanics just dump in to the nearest quart or half-quart, it seems. If you have oil changes done 'professionally', I suspect this is usually the case.

On my Honda generator, I made sure I drained the old oil well, then filled up the required amount according to the manual using a graduated lab cylinder, and it ended up way over! I had to unscrew the drain plug and bleed oil off by trial and error before I got the right level - really messy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I might add that overfilling does not seem much of a problem with automobiles. I just had a free oil change done by the dealer and the level was well over the max fill mark.
Well, if the "professionals" overfill, it does not mean that overfilling does not seem much of a problem with automobiles. It just mean that they do not care much about what they are doing.

My other car Yaris bought new a few years ago was always overfilled about half of an inch or more during Toyota free oil change first 25k miles. Every time I had to bleed it in my garage coming home from oil change. I wrote to Toyota, they replayed that posted oil capacity is only for reference, and only marks on the dipstick is a correct indicator. Talking to a dealer was useless. After 5 free oil changes the car was back to do it myself, where I put synthetic oil for less then they want for dino.

·
Registered
13 Posts
overfill

We own a 2008 scion xd and a 2008 Toyota yaris sedan. The owners manual for both cars is dead on oil change with filter. 3.9 qts for the yaris and 4.4 for the scion xd. I think some idiot at Nissan freaked out when they saw their Nissan versa holds 3.1. So they printed 3 3/4 qts in the manual. I did some checking on the amsoil web site . They listed the 2012 versa at 3.2 quarts. 2013-17 listed at 3.7 qts. Whoever this idiot is needs ******. At 107 miles on my new versa I changed over to mobil 1 syn as I do on all our vehicles and filled her with 3 3/4 quarts. at 700 miles I notice a little light gray smoke so I immediately put my finger in the tailpipe and there was black suit. Well I guess I was just having a bad day but every oil chane I have ever done was with the manual by my side. I know I looked at the dipstick but as I was saying having a bad day and didn't realize some idiot had altered the manual. It is ridiculous that they make up things to make their car look better and I am sure that it is illegal. I worked very hard for that 14500 and if I ever get the chance I will make them pay. Honda fit 3.3 qts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now I will say on my 2013 Mustang GT, I DO fill that up correctly, checking the dipstick frequently when I am close to topping up. It comes from the factory with a deep sump oil pan with windage tray, and takes 8.5 quarts of oil. :grin

·
Registered
255 Posts
Now I will say on my 2013 Mustang GT, I DO fill that up correctly, checking the dipstick frequently when I am close to topping up. It comes from the factory with a deep sump oil pan with windage tray, and takes 8.5 quarts of oil. :grin
Do you repeat this routine every time you change oil? I would think if you use the same size filter, the required oil capacity should remain the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing