Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Im having an issue with my versa. Its an 09 hatch 1.8 automatic without CVT. I'm just south of 200,000. Never any major problems. I had the serpentine belt replaced the other day and noticed the next day that I had a slight (500 rpm) stutter in the tach asI was driving at approx 30 mph. didn't think much of it at the time. Now I have had the car stall 2 times on me during left hand turns. car starts right back up afterwards and its not every left turn.. any suggestions that i can look at?

·
Registered
216 Posts
At that age and that mileage, dozens of parts and systems could be suspect. I think the fuel pressure regulator was troublesome on some years, but thats just a shot in the dark based on chatter I have read. Really could be anything, especially if the only thing you have replaced is the belt. I'm assuming the car has had regular maintenance but if you don't know or don't specify then its going to be impossible to do anything but guess wildly, talking to people on the internet. When did it last get things like spark plugs? Ever had a fuel pump changed? Any CEL or codes set by the computer? (most parts shops will loan you a scanner to check in the parking lot quick for free) These things would help narrow it down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the reply. The car has had somewhat regular maintenance. in that i mean I have changed the oil and done brakes over the life off the car. within the last 10,000 I have done coils, plugs, pcv valve, and most recently (day before this problem) the serpentine belt. the check engine light has been on for a while and I have had the codes read a few times to see what they were. I had them read today just to see if there was anything new. just P0420 twice, P0455. those both have been there for a while. The mewing is P1217 but I attribute that to when the belt broke and the engine got hot. I did not drive long after the belt blew. I didn't know the exact moment but it was less than 1.5 miles.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Walking a tightrope with that 1217 code, once the engine has signaled overheat then all bets are off, many think no harm done when there has been. Often those codes are way late but I can't swear on Nissan brand. On a Ford though, by the time you get that code half the time the head gasket is already blown or cracked head. Sudden changes in engine running conditions are a mark of that. Once you are in the red solid with temp then even a minute past that can often be death. People have so much trouble with that, once you touch red solid you are literally gambling a thousand dollar bill for every minute after that.

Your 455 code could easily be doing that too, a vacuum leak.............Letting multiple codes stack up on you is how you make massive repair bills-not wise at all.

And if driven long enough to clog the cat really good (the 420) you can be dying from that too now. See what I mean?

I'd bet on the overheat for now though since the issue began shortly after.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you very much for the information. I have known the dangers of overheating but didn't realize the quickness of it to happen. I guess I will explore the gasket and head issue to see if I can find anything there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
cbutcher
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing